+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 62

Thread: Kathy Najimy Sounds Off

  1. #11
    Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Age
    62
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    What happened to the old standards of beauty?? Today Marilyn Monroe and a lot of the other old glamorous icons would be considered fat! Sad but true.
    I believe Heidi would consider a number of her fellow Victoria's Secret models to be oversized. I'm thinking Frederique van der Wal, Stephanie Seymour, and even Tyra Banks. Even Heidi herself is less bony than many of the models she favors.
    Mother Hubbard
    Queen of the Grammar Hammers

  2. #12
    FORT Voyeur Aceon6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    Sounds like the modelling world needs to take a reality pill. Most individuals would NEVER be a size 0, 2 or 4 and not even a size 6 - even if they were just skin and bones. There is something seriously wrong with the world if someone who is 5 ft 9in, and weighs 114.5 lbs is considered fat! The fashion industry, television and magazines need to start changing their tune, and start promoting healthy looking people, not stick figures. Why should everyone look like they can't afford to buy food? Perhaps if the media took a stand against overly thin models, the rest of the world would follow.
    What happened to the old standards of beauty?? Today Marilyn Monroe and a lot of the other old glamorous icons would be considered fat! Sad but true.
    I agree that Heidi was out of it when she implied that the model was too big, BUT....

    I sew. I've saved patterns from the 70s. At that time, I was a size 14 pattern. Those same measurements are today's size 6. Marilyn Monroe was a 12, or today's 4. We ARE getting bigger as a society. People are taller, and people are generally heavier. It's up to each individual to decide if the "heavy" is healthy or not.

    I have a very light bone structure. At my thinnest (I'm 5'8) I weighed 118 and was NOT healthy. If someone can be that thin (34,25,36) and be flabby, I was. I had no concept of muscle tone. No concept of healthy eating. Once I understood my body better, I was able to maintain at about 128 which is best for me. Most people might say that 5'8"/128 is too thin, but with my bone structure, that's just about right. Anything under 120 is unhealthy for me, as is anything over 140.

    Everyone has that 20 pound zone. The hard part is finding out what it is and keeping your weight within in.

    Sorry for the threadjack, but I think it's important to acknowledge that "ideal weight" is a very individualistic thing. That's what upset me about last week's comments. They seem to imply that there is ONE standard. There isn't. There are MILLIONS of standards!

  3. #13
    FORT Fogey TokyoNiGHTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,248
    I wonder a few things, first off we're several weeks into the show and never has this models weight ever come up before. Secondly, if her weight is so bad atleast according to Tim and to a lesser extend Heidi, how did she even make it onto the show? Do neither of them have any of sort of say or even look at any of the models before they appear on the show? Considering how they reacted to her I can't imagine how she made it through if they had.

    But as far as the weight goes, the comments were completely uncalled for but its also a reality in the fashion industry. What normal people consider thin isn't what everyone else considers to be thin. I personally can't imagine how anyone could see that model being overweight, but in the fashion world she is. It's not really Heidi's fault though, she didn't do any of that it's just something that's already established there and I really don't think it'll ever change. We've all heard the model jokes over the years and all this really does is manages to play right into that.

  4. #14
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    74

    And they Auf'd on this basis!

    My biggest complaint is that it is clearly a much worse crime to make a model look "huge" (Alison) than to give a model a hideous dress she can't walk in (Vincent)...so regardless of track record, if a model looks fat, out the designer goes. Totally ridiculous and sizest.

    For "reality" television, this isn't at all "reality" based. Pretty disgusting.

  5. #15
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    I agree that Heidi was out of it when she implied that the model was too big, BUT....

    I sew. I've saved patterns from the 70s. At that time, I was a size 14 pattern. Those same measurements are today's size 6. Marilyn Monroe was a 12, or today's 4. We ARE getting bigger as a society. People are taller, and people are generally heavier. It's up to each individual to decide if the "heavy" is healthy or not.

    I have a very light bone structure. At my thinnest (I'm 5'8) I weighed 118 and was NOT healthy. If someone can be that thin (34,25,36) and be flabby, I was. I had no concept of muscle tone. No concept of healthy eating. Once I understood my body better, I was able to maintain at about 128 which is best for me. Most people might say that 5'8"/128 is too thin, but with my bone structure, that's just about right. Anything under 120 is unhealthy for me, as is anything over 140.

    Everyone has that 20 pound zone. The hard part is finding out what it is and keeping your weight within in.

    Sorry for the threadjack, but I think it's important to acknowledge that "ideal weight" is a very individualistic thing. That's what upset me about last week's comments. They seem to imply that there is ONE standard. There isn't. There are MILLIONS of standards!
    I remember being at my dentists office and talking to the receptionists and we were discussing sizes and they are the ones that informed me that the clothing industry changed the measurements on the sizes a couple of yrs ago because we as a nation have gotten so large and people were upset to see that they were size 18's and 20's. After the resizing they were 10's and 12's. This was done just to keep the consumer happy. Also one manufacturers size 8 is not another manufacturers size 8. As Stacey and Clinton say ignore size it's fit that matters.

    As a sidebar I have a cousin who is 5'9" and weighs in around 120 she obsesses over the fat on her knees and nose and wants liposection to get rid of it. The thing is guys drool over her. Between her and her sisters who are all tall and skinny they obsess over a few pounds and I get to hear it all and yet I am the short 5'4" nonskinny one of the family.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 08-23-2006 at 11:30 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  6. #16
    Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Age
    62
    Posts
    180
    All this reminds me of a comic strip I saw years ago. A woman is sitting with her husband and speculating that the fashion industry has changed the size standards to get more women to buy clothes. When her husband asks her what makes her think that, she answers, "Because I've gained 10 pounds and gone from a size 9 to a 7."

    It's my experience that size measurements have changed at least three times in the last 30 years.
    Mother Hubbard
    Queen of the Grammar Hammers

  7. #17
    FORT Fogey TunaFests's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,858
    Quote Originally Posted by 5DogWorld View Post
    My biggest complaint is that it is clearly a much worse crime to make a model look "huge" (Alison) than to give a model a hideous dress she can't walk in (Vincent)...so regardless of track record, if a model looks fat, out the designer goes. Totally ridiculous and sizest.

    For "reality" television, this isn't at all "reality" based. Pretty disgusting.
    people are making it sound like the only reason she got auf'd was because she mad her look bigger. her outfit was pretty crappy (it looked like a tamale!) and she should take some of the blame on herself. the fact that she didn't construct it to flatter her model was her fault as well.

  8. #18
    FORT Newbie Ciann's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14
    people are making it sound like the only reason she got auf'd was because she made her look bigger. her outfit was pretty crappy (it looked like a tamale!) and she should take some of the blame on herself.Loved the tamale comment!!! hehehehe...

    Apparently Allison doesn't get it - if the Q&A she had with Entainment Weekly is any indication. I can't supply a link as I am a first time poster,
    but it should be easily found if you go to the Entertainment Weekly web site.
    Below is an excerpt from that "interview".


    Entertainment Weekly

    WEDNESDAY, August 23, 2006

    You didn't seem too happy with your model. Was she really that big? I mean, was she a size 4 instead of a size 2?

    No, she's a lot bigger than me. She's absolutely gorgeous, but she shouldn't be a runway model. She's maybe a size 8 or a 10. She's not thin at all.

    Why would the producers put in a model who's not runway-model size?
    So people like me get eliminated. They threw in someone who had scoliosis whose shoulders are three inches different. Did you ever notice whoever's designing for Nazri often wins? There are three models who seem to win. It's because they have model bodies. I was cursed from the beginning. I had the model with scoliosis the first time — that's why I don't think I won the dog challenge. And this time, my model chose me. I was like, ''Oh no!''[/QUOTE]

    I always thought Alexandra (the model) looked great when Micheal was designing for her...

    Link
    Last edited by speedbump; 08-24-2006 at 04:22 PM.

  9. #19
    Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Age
    50
    Posts
    713
    The stats on the model show she has a 24 inch waist. I'm not sure how they measure in New York, but here in MI a 24 inch waist is NOT a size ten.

  10. #20
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by nliedel View Post
    The stats on the model show she has a 24 inch waist. I'm not sure how they measure in New York, but here in MI a 24 inch waist is NOT a size ten.
    Don't believe those stats saying she only has a 24" waist -- they are outdated. I fully believe Alison, who personally tailored and fitted Alexandre over 2 challenges, that her model was a healthy size 8 or 10.

    Does this look like a size 4 to you? NO! :



    Yes, Alison's dress design and hair looked artsy and wierd, and where in the realm of theatrical, but those decisions where made in what was suppose to be an "innovation" challenge, using unusual material. Alison's biggest mistake was picking the model who didn't have a model stick figure. She probably didn't realize what a aufing mistake her pick was until the moment she was kicked off the show. Sad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.