+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katherine Gerdes - Season 3

Katherine Gerdes - Season 3

Birthday: 1981-05-30
    Hometown: Minneapolis, MN
    Education: Rhode Island School of Design

The very last thing Katherine Gerdes, 24, could ever claim is to “have always dreamed about becoming a designer.” It’s quite the opposite. As a preschooler, growing up in Minnesota, her mother couldn’t even bribe her into a dress. While other little girls wore frilly “fancy nancy” clothes, her mother couldn’t beg her out of her nondescript jeans or overalls. In elementary school, while others begged their parents for the latest brand-name jeans, Katherine’s uniform was a basic T and black leggings. And when her photography skills got her into the prestigious Minnesota State Arts High School, Katherine hated all the cool “must-have” clothes everyone else was wearing. To rebel against all the “sameness,” she simply started making her own clothes, and, in turn, developed her own style.

Katherine began her studies at Rhode Island School of Design as a Photography Major. She signed up for a clothing design class as a lark, but the turning point came when an instructor insisted she take a closer look at switching her major to Apparel Design. From that point, Katherine immersed herself in clothing design and found her true calling. Immediately upon graduation, she landed a plum job as Design Coordinator at Target Corporation’s headquarters in Minneapolis, and was then was promoted to Associate Textile Designer at the trend-defining retailer.

Katherine also produces her own line in her private studio tucked behind Hell’s Kitchen, a breakfast spot owned by her family. The Katherine Gerdes line sells at Design Collective, a Minneapolis showcase for local talent.

Katherine’s lines are focused, functional, and, above all, designed for real people and mandated to be comfortable. “When I'm designing,” explains Katherine, “I try to keep the thought ‘would I wear this?’ in the back of my mind. It's not that I design with the intention on making a new wardrobe for myself, but I think that if I would be uncomfortable wearing it, then maybe I should rethink the design.” Katherine currently resides in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Hmmmm. I guess the success of Katherine on this show will pretty much hinge on whether she has good taste in clothing for herself.

I don't think she'll be able to hack this competition, I get an "innocent Katherine" vibe from the bio/picture. Which means, she'll be shredded by the other wannabes!!!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fogey
    AH HA! I found one with some education. That is a refreshing change. I am only partway through these bio's so she is looking good from where I have been.

FORT Regular
    Like her background, and she looks pleasant and professional. So far, she's one of my early favorites.

As a fellow Twin Citian, I'm rooting for Katherine! There was a really nice article about her in the St Paul Pioneer Press last Sunday . . . if any of you computer savvy folks want to go looking for it, the website for the paper is www.twincities.com.

Fresh out of school, she has a job designing for Target corporation, and she is on a leave of absence from work. The folks at Target sound pretty excited for her. She seems to have that classic midwest down to earth mentality, which I hope takes her far! She has sold clothing in some stores that feature local artists in Minneapolis, so she has some experience.

I'm not remembering her outfit very well from last night, I do remember a cape with a hood, made out of a duvet?

Good luck Katherine, we're rooting for you here in Minnesota!
    PP
    it's really perennialprincess, there just wasn't enough space to fit it all in!

Team Renee//Team Sarah// DreamOf1000Cats's Avatar
    Is she this year's Daniel Vosovic?

FORT Fogey
    I'm from Mpls, and I swear I have seen this girl before....maybe snowboarding at Afton Alps????

Harmless and unoffensive ComputerSaysNo's Avatar
    I can't get a good read on her. She's the wild card to me.

FORT Newbie
    I haven't been real impressed w/her yet. She seems like a sweet girl, but a bit wishy-washy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    I'm from Mpls, and I swear I have seen this girl before....maybe snowboarding at Afton Alps????
    She reminds me of the Texan designer on Trading Spaces.

Afton, I know that area well. I'm going to send you a msg, if that's ok.

Back to the designer, her posture bothers me a bit. I'd like to see her stand up straighter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast