+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Alison Kelly - Season 3

Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar

The Size Guide

Quote Originally Posted by holly71 View Post
    I'm also a 6. I've been a 2 before, & there is a SUBSTANTIAL difference between the two sizes.

If this model's proportions are truly 34-24-36 as stated above, than I have a hard time believing this model is a size 4. My hips are several inches smaller than that & I wear a 6.
    A lot depends on the clothing manufacturer. I wear a 4 in most good brands and have measurements similar to Alexandra's, although I'm a LOT shorter and bigger in the upper frontals (5'4", 115-117 lbs., 32D)! In some brands, I wear a 2. In the Anthropologie line, I'm a 0!

If I were buying lower-priced lines, I would more likely wear a 6.
    Mother Hubbard
    Queen of the Grammar Hammers

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerSaysNo View Post
    As for Alison, I think she came off in a very poor light in the EW interview. Yes, I think Vincent should have gone home, but at the same time I didn't think Alison was an exceptional designer. As I posted a few weeks ago, in about 5 years she could be great.

She just came off as very whiny in the interview, not gracious at all.

In some way this bolsters my theory that she's a little rich girl from Greenwich, CT or some other place like that. Someone commented on her accent earlier in the thread asking "Isn't she from Brooklyn?". She lives in Brooklyn and there are a lot of trust-fund baby "artist" and "designer" types there. I get the impression that Daddy was in finance and little Alison got whatever she wanted from Daddy.
    I guess a lot of it is in the eye of the beholder, and I didn't get that vibe exactly. (And I'll add, when she was auditioning for the show, and she mentioned having her own line that she'd recently stopped, and she said it was selling reasonably well, but she was always just breaking even, if daddy was financing everything, that wouldn't have been much of an impedement, she could have gone on forever not worrying about making a profit.)

Oh sure, she's clearly bitter being ousted in favor of Vincent, but wouldn't you be? I would -- I'd be pissed! And I'd find it hard to hide, not that she's trying to hide it. She's more brutally honest and less judicious than she should be, but heck, that's part of being 25. Would that I'd been as smart about what to say, when to say it, and to whom, and more importantly, when to keep silent, as I am now, when I was that young -- life would have been much smoother. And compared to most of the people on the show she liked to keep company with, Keith, Jeffrey, she's positively modest and reticent.

Yeah, I don't blame her for being quite so upset. It was true that her model didn't wear the outfit well, but half of that was her not being innovative and making it well. I dont know. I agree with both sides, but I can see it in her PoV better because if I was her, and VINCENT beat me out, I'd kill myself. I'd just be SO mad. So I can see that... Especially because I really do believe that that designing clothes is her life and her passion, as she says. I don't think designing clothes is in any way Vincent's "passion"... and if it is, well, its a weak passion. LOL. Same with Chloe from the last season... ughhhh.
    ~~~~~~~~~amandalynn!
    this is a reason for broken wings!

FORT Fogey
    Sour grapes to blame the models - innocent bystanders. She should have designed for who she was working for. Then, she should have done what they say in the contstruction business: measure twice, cut once.

Vincent screwed this up too, but not nearly as bad as Allison.

Quote Originally Posted by volatility View Post
    Yeah, I don't blame her for being quite so upset. It was true that her model didn't wear the outfit well, but half of that was her not being innovative and making it well.
    I forgot to add before, the one part of the interview that really pissed me off, was that bit about it partially being her model being so big and clunky, and how Alison was horrified when Alexandra picked her, insinuating that that was part of the reason she lost. (Oh, and the gratuitous swipe at her model for the Wall to Wall challenge, Amanda?, whom she said had scoliosis and supposedly some sort of unevenness in her shoulders as a result.) I agree, Alison was robbed and Vincent should have gone home (a long time ago, no less), but I personally never saw her as final three material, so in light of her ungracious and inconsiderate remarks regarding these girls, the exact timing of her departure is no longer a problem for me.

Blame Heidi, blame the judges, blame the producers, blame the fashion gods or the unfairness of life, if you don't want to look to yourself for blame, but leave the models alone. Alexandra looked perfectly fine in Michael's coffee filter dress, and even better in his dog challenge outfit -- she did in fact appear to have a waist -- she didn't look well in Alison's clothes. There are very few women, even models, who don't have some issue or another, too much booty, too little booty, too much cleavage, lack of toning, a really long neck, kinky hair, whatever, give them a break. If Alison could not, or would not, design to make the best of her model, and minimize her flaws, if she didn't have the versatility, adaptability, or ability like Michael to design for anything other than perfectly proportioned stick figures, then its her own failing, not the model's.

Alison was one of favorite designers, and it's sad to see her go on account of a single so-so outfit and in challenge where so much could go wrong. (For her to be auf'ed before Vincent? Crimical.) After reading the tamale comparisons, though, I can no longer see the garment without thinking of corn husks... but at least it was innovative. I like the corset; it's a shame her model didn't have an hourglass figure.

I am put off by Alison's ungracious comments regarding her model. I imagine they are pretty indicative of industry notions in general, but they are sad and not for public. I think Alison did have a bit of a handicap. However, for her to complain about this in interview tells potential customers that she cannot skillfully design around their imperfections. I wish that the fashion industry in general would challenge itself and make more clothing to flatter average women, rather than catering to illusion.

That said, I am excited to see Alison's collection on Shopbop.

Good post, Salome. You've expressed exactly how I felt about Alison. I did like her and feel it was absurd for her to go before Vincent...but I too was disappointed in her behavior toward her model.

Sadly, however, the comments of Alison and Tim Gunn are not at all uncommon and reflect how many people in the fashion industry regard models--and women's bodies in general. It exposes the ugly side of the industry that still exists.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    Good post, Salome. You've expressed exactly how I felt about Alison. I did like her and feel it was absurd for her to go before Vincent...but I too was disappointed in her behavior toward her model.

Sadly, however, the comments of Alison and Tim Gunn are not at all uncommon and reflect how many people in the fashion industry regard models--and women's bodies in general. It exposes the ugly side of the industry that still exists.
    No, unfortunately, that would appear to be true. For Heidi, it appeared that the ultimate sin was for a woman *gasp* to make another woman look fat. Poor execution, poor design, lack of innovation, lack of ambition, inability for the wearer to move, these are nothing next to making someone look chunky.

But Alison's comment about her model being bigger than her got me thinking (and yes, Alison is small boned, as well as petite, so it was true) and I looked at the picture of her trying on the first skirt in the mirror, and the irony I noticed just struck me. Alison herself, although she has a smaller frame, doesn't have much in the way of cleavage, much in the way of a waist, even much in the way of hips. So I looked at the black dress Alison wore on the runway, and same thing, it didn't flatter her own figure, it was just a straight sheath that didn't even attempt to make the most of, or even address, her own figure, so maybe she just doesn't feel that's important. She definitely doesn't have anything approaching an hourglass figure herself, yet she couldn't manage to master designing for a similar body type, albeit on a slightly larger scale.

I think I would be a little more understanding of Alison's complaints if she had never worked with that model before and was surprised by her size. But she had worked with her before. She knew the body issues of her model and she just failed to take them into account.

Then she took materials that would not be forgiving in terms of fit (paper, manila folders?) and used them to create a complicated design that didn't work for her model and couldn't really be adapted. It looked like it was taped on the model, which I suspect is part of the reason it looked better on the dress form than on the runway. Then adding the silly styling put her over the top.

I was surprised that she didn't make a basic dress out of muslin and attach the paper to it--she could have made something that would fit the model and then be decorated. This is basically what Jeffrey did and what Michael did for the coffee filter dress. She might have lost points for innovation, but she would probably still be in. She made a series of bad decisions and I would cut her some slack if she acknowledged that (i.e., took responsibility).

I'm not saying Vincent didn't make similar mistakes, but the major technical flaw in his dress (not being able to move in it) could be corrected by shortening it.
    Last edited by alphacat; 08-21-2006 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    Btw, I thought the pink woven paper skirt she jettisoned was cute. Not sure why she shelved it.
    Because when she tried it on herself it looked like the first level of a pyramid. The paper looked beautiful, but it was just stiff. Maybe she should have used it anyway,after seeing that Vincent nightmare. We really have no idea how bad Vincent's presentation was. According to Tim, it took the model forever to walk down the runway. We only get glimpses of her walking, and we never see her go back up. I think Alison's idea was great, but she put all those unflattering layers of paper on her model. She said herself the design was wide and hanging.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast