+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

I thought Nick's was by far the best. I didn't care for that busy top on Santino's (although it was very pretty..it was a bit much.)

Andrae's was nice...but kind of boring for a "party" dress.

I HATED Guadalupe's....and I thought they should've gotten rid of Marla for COPYING the other dress.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Quote Originally Posted by Secret View Post
    And Danny V's dress was absolutely gorgeous. I didn't think I'd like the print, but combined with the design and the slinky silhouette, it really came together beautifully.
    I loved Danny V.'s dress--just beautiful! I was surprised that I also liked Emmett's, Kara's, and Andrae's (no particular order).

Santino, Nick, and Chloe were all OK, but didn't really make me want to wear them. Santino's had too much stuff on the top and too pouffy a skirt. I'm not a fan of the blue satiny fabrics (Nick's and Chloe's) and I didn't love the designs either (liked the back of Nick's though). I liked the top part of Diana's but not the skirt (pouffy).

I didn't like Lupe's, Marla's, Zulema's--any of them could have gone and I'd have been fine with the decision.

My favorite was Daniel V's, but partly because his model has a great body. She's thin, but doesn't have that emaciated 12-year old boy look. It worked, with the simple design against the complicated pattern.

Santino's wasn't really that great. Yeck. Why did she choose that one? Nick's was the next best, Chloe's looked too much like the one in the COYB episode.. Meh. Guadalupe was funny. It should have been Marla- she copied someone else's design! Come on! My pick for top three: Nick, Daniel, and Andrae/Chloe. Santino being the Austin, basically.

FORT Regular
    I didn't like Chloe's design at all...it looked like something was wrong with the fit, maybe? I know that Nicky and the model probably don't have the same measurements, but still, weren't they supposed to refit it for the models?

I loved Andrae's..surprising, because his designs so far have been...eh bordering on ew, but I thought it really worked. His model's face looks so gaunt and sad though...I thought she needed a hug.

I loved Diana's dress...I don't get why Tim Gunn keeps calling her gimmicky...I think it's more her schtick and personal style instead of a gimmick (except for maybe the magnets)

Lupe was not a surprise at all. I seriously thought her and Marla were going to get cut tonight as a surprise, but it looks like Marla hangs in there for another round. Heidi's thing about wanting to see more Marla in her work is obviously a sign of interest. The judges totally lost interest in Lupe.

Santino winning wasn't surprising, although I'll be damned if that dress doesn't look like all of his others in one shape or another. Nick deserved the win based on design; but this was more about getting Nicky Hilton to notice you, so he lost on those grounds.

The weak ones are clearly Marla, Emmett, Diana, and probably Andrae.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Team Renee//Team Sarah// DreamOf1000Cats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corprip View Post
    Lupe was not a surprise at all. I seriously thought her and Marla were going to get cut tonight as a surprise, but it looks like Marla hangs in there for another round. Heidi's thing about wanting to see more Marla in her work is obviously a sign of interest. The judges totally lost interest in Lupe.

Santino winning wasn't surprising, although I'll be damned if that dress doesn't look like all of his others in one shape or another. Nick deserved the win based on design; but this was more about getting Nicky Hilton to notice you, so he lost on those grounds.

The weak ones are clearly Marla, Emmett, Diana, and probably Andrae.

I think Diana is the strongest of the weak.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I have to rate the dresses like this:

1. Nick - It was stunningly glamourous, and it didn't look like it was thrown together overnight. My only negative is that the beading on the shoulders was totally unnecessary.

2. Daniel V - A very, very close second. Extra props for the fact that it wasn't his original concept.

3. Andrae - I was dubious of the jersey for a party dress, but he made it work, and it looked great.

4. Emmett - This really was a lovely dress, I loved the fabrics, it was very classy, but I just don't think it was right for Nicky, maybe in a few years.

5. Chloé - It was nice, but there was just something not quite right with the fit of the bodice.

6. Kara - Kind of a modern take on the halter dress that Marilyn Monroe made famous. Interesting hemline.

7. Santino - I really didn't get why this dress won. The braiding on the bodice was a mess. The frayed handkerchief hemline looked like too many layers. What was the deal with Santino saying the color was like Nicky's eyes? Her eyes are blue, the dress was grey. As for his schmoozing at the party, eeeeewww. I cringed when he gave her his card. I just find him, smarmy.

8. Zulema - This was an interesting concept, I really liked the idea of leather and georgette, but the finished product just sucked.

9. Diana - I liked the bodice, but the skirt did suffer from too many layers, much like Santino's winning dress.

10. Marla - She really should have gone with her original concept. It looked simpler, and in the right fabric might have scored higher. Instead she altered her design to something very derivative of the Chloé dress that Nicky had already worn. Couldn't she have at least gone for a different color fabric?

11. Guadalupe - Overly complicated design, bad fabric and color choices. It really was a "What was she thinking?" dress. I really liked Guadalupe, she was really funny. I wish that Marla had gone, even if her dress was better than Lupe's.
    Last edited by Chorita KaBoom; 01-05-2006 at 05:47 AM.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

H2O

Another good challenge...

My two favorites:

1. Nick - Sexy and sophisticated, as someone else stated, the dress looked good coming and going.

2. Daniel V – Fantastic fit of a geometric print fabric which was a riskier choice.

Santino – He sold this dress at the party. Nicky stated she was into braiding and this dress delivered it. I concurred with Heidi’s comment and about not wearing a dress like this that was poufy on the bottom and short waisted on the top. But in the end it was Nicky’s choice and I think she liked Santino’s personality and dress the best.

Bottom two; I think either of them could have been eliminated:

* Marla – Obvious knock-off identified quickly by Nicky. I was glad Nikki brought up that it looked like the Chloe dress. I also liked the Marla owned up to it. In the end Guadalupe’s ugly dress saved Marla’s copycat design error.

* Guadalupe – Ugly. It was the worst dress. Bye-bye.

Tim absolutely gives the best advice – his comments were spot-on.

This is a terrific show. Good challenges. Drama naturally arises from the competition, it isn’t forced. I hope this show continues for many seasons.

I agree with your ratings Chorita KaBoom
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

Ok, here's my take on the efforts this week.

Nick - beautiful dress, but I thought Nicky would not choose it. First, she's a club kid more than a Hollywood starlet, and the "old Hollywood" thing was likely lost on her. Second, I think he ticked her off with his "Yes, I guessed that" at the party. Nothing to us but to a Hollywood ego? It's saying he knew more than she did and/or can read her easily; and I think Nicky likes to think of herself as complicated "I have my own fashion line".

Santino - Nicky definitely liked the way he sold himself to her and complimented her. To a Hollywood ego that means she's worth buttering up to. Points won, she even said she liked Santino himself. Then, his dress seemed 'younger' than most of the others, and more whimsical too - more suited to Nicky. The line about it matching her eyes didn't hurt Did I like it? Not for me, but I pegged it as one Nicky might like best.

Chloe - Looked too similar to her "Clothes off your back" dress; bit disappointing for that reason. Also the front was a bit boring. Otherwise, nothing really wrong with it (well, the stitching in front was too visible IMO).

Daniel - I can appreciate why others might like it; nothing really wrong with it; but IMO it was too old-looking and not really 'fun'. More for Nicky's mother. I just didn't care for the fabric. In previews I assumed it was Marla's magenta again.

Diana - eh.

Zulema - fugly. Cream fabric with black leather? Hello, 1986 wants its party dress back.

Marla - she's got flopsweat something serious. Whether she's insecure because of her age, (let's face it, 51 it's harder to handle late hours and pressure, just physically speaking, even if she were super prepared) or has overheard the others' comments, she has really lost focus. It almost seemed like cheating for her to copy the dress in the photo. Nicky seemed to walk away from her in disgust. A bit of an over-reaction, but she is lucky to still be in. And I agreed w/whoever on the show said the dress wasn't cute ANYway.

Lupe - Oh my dear. Looked like a dress that had picked up some scrunchies and socks in the dryer - which also chewed off one of the sleeves. Well deserved Auf. Although I think judges choose Aufs based just as much on who's most annoying. And I think they prefer anger over disagreement to waffling or ditziness - cos they interpret anger as passion for one's ideas. Ditziness and indecisiveness, they abhor, it seems to me.

When will they learn to listen to Tim??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast