+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Tim Gunn

FORT Newbie
    really turned off by the comments about Rachel - over the top - and mean-spirited -

aga
    FORTified
    Tim's advice to the designers (paraphrased):
    Daniel - You are exciting in the early phases, but you lose momentum and fall short of your potential.

Chloe - You need to push the envelope and step out of your comfort zone. You risk being labeled a one note.

Zulema - Please take risk.

Kara - You are the only one left who has not won a challenge. You need to step away work that looks like it can be work found on Madison Avenue.

Santino - You are in serious jeopardy.

Andrae and Nick - Be more ambitious.

My take on Tim's take:
    Daniel - I think this is fair. I definitely saw this on the Lingerie Challenge. I really would like to see the designer's original sketches to further understand Tim's perspective.

Chloe - Word! Although the labeling has already happened.

Zulema - This is hard to gauge. It appeared that Zulema cut him off, so he may have been planning to add to his comment.

Kara - I agree. Although the judges are starting to lose credibility with me, while I am OK with Kara not winning a challenge, I do think she has been underrated and should have been in the top tier. Furthermore, when you are in the middle of the pack, you never hear what the judges thought was good or bad about your design.

Santino - Again, this is hard to gauge. It wasn't advice, just a statement of fact. Although I am pretty sure that most of us can fill in the blanks.

Nick - Tim probably should have grouped Chloe and Nick together. Nick, like Chloe, needs to push the envelope and step out of his comfort zone. He is at risk of being labeled a one note (if it has not already happened). Also, I wished Michael Kors had made the fishtail comment to Nick's face (perhaps he did and it was edited out).

Aundrae - I didn't get this one. Aundrae has been pretty ambitious. He is interesting because it looks like he has two voices. There is a simplicity voice that I see in his Nicky Hilton and Banana Republic creations and a more elaborate and complicated voice that I see in his Barbie and Skating creations. I do have a feeling that he gets easily distracted at times, his COYB and Skating dresses looked unfinished.
    "We all know that we're going to get beat tonight." - Melrose (ANTM Cycle 7) when Monique gets eliminated from the CoverGirl / Queen Latifah challenge.

"Hi pretty lady...and Tyra." - Heather (ANTM Cycle 9)

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by hmcecho View Post
    really turned off by the comments about Rachel - over the top - and mean-spirited -

He was not out of line. You may not like it but it is part of the business. Tyra Banks hammers this into each contestant on her show. It is no place for the thin skinned, she repeats. If your walk is bad you are going to hear about it. All of the judges, on her show, are brutally frank. It is also part of a TV entertainment show to be "over the top". Rachael shaped up and I bet Gunn encouraged Nick to speak to her about her lack luster performance.

I like him and thought he did a good job with that. His tone was not venomous, it was soft, yet his words were frank. He would have said it to her face and may have though he mentions in his podcast that he cannot personally tell any of them what to do.

nothing but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat View Post
    I like him and thought he did a good job with that. His tone was not venomous, it was soft, yet his words were frank. He would have said it to her face and may have though he mentions in his podcast that he cannot personally tell any of them what to do.
    I agree, it is a business for thick-skinned people, and his voice was not venemous in any manner. To me it was kind of the fact that he jut kept harping on it. I mean, it is okay to say it. You know say somethinng like, 'Oh no, she does not have a good walk at all, try and work with her on it.' and leave it at that. Tim, to me, is a very realistic person, he tells it as it is, and does not favor or sugar-coat anything, which is very admirable. I was just a little shocked by how he kept going on and on about it.

I got the impression Tim felt so sorry for Nick he even forgot the camera was there.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    I got the impression Tim felt so sorry for Nick he even forgot the camera was there.
    Absolutely. He likes Nick and felt his angst. In his podcast he talked about how attached Nick was to Tara and relied heavily on her being his muse. He was angry with Zulema too. It is clear he did not care for her though he never says it outright.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    Oh no, I didn't mean that I didn't think Tim would be great at the helm of his own show--in fact I do, and I love the idea of "Make It Work." I hope Bravo picks it up!

I'm saying that I wouldn't really want Tim on the PR panel, simply because I'm leery in general of show mentors also being judges. Seems like a...I don't know, conflict of interest?

The examples I mentioned from ANTM were not guest judges like Nancy O'Hellish-Taste-in-Clothing (although she truly sucked). Nole and Miss J. especially were mentors/guides like Tim Gunn, who guided/helped mold the show participants, and I loved them in that capacity. It seemed, though the second they became panel regulars, something went pear-shaped. Again, maybe Tim Gunn could be the exception, but I like him strictly in the design room.

i think tim would get old as a judge..too much tim! just like too much miss J.

oh and i don't understand why people hate on wendy's nancy dress so much when it was a really cute dress...even tim loved it! and the other three choices were so much worse..

I love Tim Gunn too. What are we going to do when the season is done. I think we should all move to New York and live with him.
    Oh I wish I were an Os-car Mayer Wie - ner
    That is what I'd tru-ly like to be
    'cause if I were an Os-car May-er Wie - ner
    Ev-ery one would be in love with me.

c. Oscar Mayer, 1965.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Weinie View Post
    I love Tim Gunn too. What are we going to do when the season is done. I think we should all move to New York and live with him.
    Deal, I will share the closet space evenly.

FORT Newbie
    I just could not resist.

With love, from Red Lobster!

+ Reply to Thread