+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Tim Gunn

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Tim Gunn

There is a great article on Tim Gunn on the NYT site today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/12/fa...ewanted=1&_r=1 (Registration may be required.)

I had no idea about his family history--Dad in the FBI and Mom working for the CIA. I find that fascinating!

Americas Next Top Model 9 Cookiez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2327137;
    There is a great article on Tim Gunn on the NYT site today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/12/fa...ewanted=1&_r=1 (Registration may be required.)

I had no idea about his family history--Dad in the FBI and Mom working for the CIA. I find that fascinating!
    OMGz, that is really cool!
    It must've been hard though, haha, for all we know he could be a part of the Secret Service. *gasp*
    The future of fashion, America's Next Top Model

My friend and I went to Politics & Prose yesterday for Tim's book signing and got a seat in the front row--about 5-6 feet from Mr. Gunn! P&P sold out of books and I think they were a bit surprised by the number of people who came--there was quite a crowd. And ages ranged from preteens to grandmothers. There were several men there as well, so everyone was represented.

Tim, and his co-author Kate, spoke for about 10 minutes (mostly about the writing process), took questions for about 15 minutes, and then started signing books ... and a few bobble heads. Apparently, Kate read through/edited Tim's PR blogs and through that process they found that they made a good writing team. So Tim enlisted her to help write the book. During the Q&A, Tim said that he enjoys his new job very much. He also said that the talent pool for PR continues to rise and that there were some terrific designers who came out for S4--they could have cast 3 seasons!

P&P announced that Tim would only sign books, not T-shirts and so on, but then Tim agreed to sign a few bobble heads that people brought. It was wonderful--he personalized the book--I got mine for my mother for mother's day. He chatted and was very personable. My friend mentioned that we couldn't have made it through our doctoral programs without Tim and PR (she and I were working on our dissertations and getting ready for defense--Tim's "make it work" and "carry on" really resonated!) and he seemed genuinely thrilled to hear that.

All-in-all, it was a wonderful and very fun event. Many (though not all) of the authors that come to P&P are policy wonks, political types, "serious" fiction or nonfiction authors. I think they were surprised at how excited everyone was to meet Tim! And that so many people came out on such a beautiful day--it was sunny and in the 70s. My friend and I got there at about noon, bought the book, and then went for lunch. When I bought the book, the cashier (who obviously didn't watch the show) said that it seemed like Tim was "fairly popular". By the time we got back, there was a line winding through the store. All the chairs were full by about 2pm (the event didn't start until 3) and I think by 2:15, the book was sold out.

I read a couple of accounts about Tim's visits to Olsson's and Lambda Rising on BPR. They sound very similar, so you might want to check them out for other details.

OK, I'm officially jealous. So was he as fabulous in person as he is on TV?
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Count me in as being totally jealous! I'd love to meet Tim and get a book signed. I'm not one to care at all about meeting anyone "famous", but TIM is in his own category.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

He seemed a bit thinner than on TV. But, the voice ... exactly the same! And the sense of humor ... classic Tim.

He was very nice. The P&P staff gave all these rules about not holding up the line to take pictures, Tim only signing books, and so on. But, Tim took pictures with people (mostly the teenagers who were there--so cute) and signed bobble heads, and chatted with people as they were going through the line. It took a long time to get through the line, but it was definitely worth the wait!

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I'm jealous too! I was actually in NYC that weekend, but I didn't know Tim would be signing books.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look, to see if Tim does any public appearances in the future?

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Tim Gunn's Guide To Style To Take Fashion Challenged Through A Style Transformation

Your Style. Tim's Rules. There's only one man that any woman would welcome into her closet…Tim Gunn. And he's diving into closets everywhere in the one-hour, eight-episode series "Tim Gunn's Guide to Style" premiering on Thursday, September 6 at 10 PM ET/PT. With tough-love, guidance, and former model and fashion accomplice Veronica Webb at his side, Gunn leads fashion-challenged women on an emotional journey to unearth their personal style. From wardrobe essentials, tips on how to shop, to finding the right fit, Gunn uses advice from his book, Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality Taste and Style, to arm each woman with the basics to own her look and make it polished and stunning.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Just two more days!

Tim's new show starts this Thursday - September 6th - at 10pm

Did anyone catch his show last night? I thought it premiered tonight but it came on after Top Chef. I thought it was going to be a teaser episode but it was a full hour. Any ways, he's hilarious. And so good. I love him. I thought Veronica Webb did pretty good also.

+ Reply to Thread