+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 12/14 Show Discussion "All Dolled Up"

I think there is a reason she didn't make it. I didn't like any of those designs, though the 2nd one had...promise.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl View Post
    So far I am loving season 2! The challenges have been brilliant, loved "Clothes Off Your Back" and now, the Barbies, what fun.

I did want to mention that so far, in every episode my favorite design has been named the winner of that round. I'm quite pleased, not so much with myself or my psychic abilities, as I am of the fact that hopefully this bodes well that this season will be about design and not drama. I just feel like the judges and I are on the same page so far, which I like.

A lot of these designers are already better than any of the top contestants from the first season. Some of their clothes actually look like they belong on a runway.

I agree with their winner choices, but think they are keeping some people who should have gone home based on their designs just for the "drama" factor of their personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    Loooove Nick's dress. He is the only one, in my opinion, who really GOT it.

Did anyone post yet, that you can ORDER that Barbie from Bravo's website? ...

OH and read Tim's blog (on Bravo's site). His comments on each Barbie outfit are GREAT. Wow - he can bring the snark - who'd a thunk it?? Our gentlemanly Mr. Tim
    We love Tim. He is the most helpful "host" on any reality show, and if the contestants had watched the first season they should know that when he gives his opinion, they'd better follow it if they don't want trouble in the judging!

I don't like My Scene Barbies. They look like Bratz, and that is way past my generation, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by starkisssed View Post
    I wanna see Santino's ego blow up soon, it may actually be entertaining.
    He says he wants to be a billioniaire. It obviously never occurred to him that if he isn't already very successful, his attitude is probably to blame!

Hi Harvest -

Yes I think the design talent is better overall this year too - although I did miss many eps so maybe I shouldn't comment. Yes we love Tim Gunn, is there anyone anywhere who doesn't? ITA that you'd think the designers would actually heed his advice. It hasn't done Zulema any good to hide from him (re: his Bravo blog) either.

I don't like the faces on the My Scene Barbies either, although I do like the real Bratz faces. I don't like how hootchied up the Bratz have become of late - but at first it was more about cute. I do prefer the traditional Barbie faces. But regardless, Nick's Barbie is da bomb

Quote Originally Posted by loveitorleaveit View Post
    By the way, there is a PR2 semifinalist, Karen Garrett, who obviously did not make the show. Instead, she is doing every challenge at home in real time! She calls it PROJECT OUTCAST. She has her own thread in many other fourms. Pretty cool idea. Mosts bloggers/posters have her "in" through the Barbie challenge.

Here is the link:http://www.karengarrettartist.com/Karen%20Garret's.Project%20Out cast.htm

Heck, I don't mind starting a new thread for her. I love the little doggie in the picture!!

I'm a pushover for animals. It's pathetic, really.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Team Renee//Team Sarah// DreamOf1000Cats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corprip View Post
    I gained a new appreciation of Chloe tonight, mainly because of her attention to the task and her overall strategic thinking. Nick is still my favorite though. Santino needs a couple more smacks like tonight to keep him on his toes. No resting on laurels.

Raymundo's elimination was only surprising because he went home before Andrae, but Marla's was better. She just totally missed her target audience. She's obviously very close to leaving, but I think she still fits a role for the producers.

Ranking time.. best to worst designers as of now (tiers are still necessary until the clear losers and winners show through):

1 Nick
    2 Santino
    3 Chloe
    4-7 Diana, Emmett, Daniel V., Daniel F.
    8-12 Kara, Lupe, Zulema, Andrae, Marla

Lupe is down on my rankings. Her designs are too busy and seem excessive. I don't see her lasting forever.

Daniel Vosovic won't get that far. He's gotten NO screen time.

I'd say...

Nick, Santino, and Chloe are top 3.

Diana, Emmett, Daniel Franco and Kara are 4-7.

And Marla, Lupe, Zulema, and Andrae are the rest.

Karen Garrett/Outcast = weird?! Hmm. (But why not)

I hate that Barbie outfit though. Looks like a 1970 wanna be who got mugged by a Ren Fest serving wench.

Who then threw up a doily onto that poor doggie.

(Cute dog btw, I like cocker spaniels)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    Hi Harvest -

Yes I think the design talent is better overall this year too - although I did miss many eps so maybe I shouldn't comment. Yes we love Tim Gunn, is there anyone anywhere who doesn't? ITA that you'd think the designers would actually heed his advice. It hasn't done Zulema any good to hide from him (re: his Bravo blog) either.

I don't like the faces on the My Scene Barbies either, although I do like the real Bratz faces. I don't like how hootchied up the Bratz have become of late - but at first it was more about cute. I do prefer the traditional Barbie faces. But regardless, Nick's Barbie is da bomb
    I didn't like how low-class the My Scene Barbies are either. They may not be "hootchie," but they are trashy. The streaked hair for instance, blech! My generation of Barbie was a class act. First she was a high-fashion model and sort of "country club," (like Disney's Cinderella of the same era), then in the 70s she was the woman who could have any career, and did. What kind of message are they sending now, that girls should look like J Lo or Paris Hilton and have no character or substance?

We wanted Zulema to go, but realized they'd keep her around for the drama. There's no other explanation for keeping her in after that butt-hanging-out garment. Not covering that cellulited "booty" was just pure stubborness and bad judgement. She can't be a contender after that.

When Tim "suggested" that the one designer have his black model wear the wig, and the guy rejected the suggestion, that showed arrogance and bad judgement as well. Remember that Barbie model who was on the Beauty and the Geek reality show? Mattel takes their brand very seriously. I'm sure they are more than used to seeing models in Barbie wigs, and expected it!

Btw, I cannot believe that none of them seemed to realize they were going to Barbie's house. The instant I saw Toys R Us I knew who their fashion icon was going to be!

Next weeks TV guide has an article about Project Runway. The author, Bruce Fretts picks his fav four from season 2 and compares them to season 1 contestents. I don't agree with his comparisons but here they are:

Diane Eng with Kara Saun

Andrae Gonzalo with Austin Scarlet

Santino Rice with Jay

Zulema Griffin with Wendy Pepper

Personally, I think Santino is alot grittier and more street wise than Jay. Jay was brillant but he had a sweet side.

Zulema and Wendy Pepper, cause Zulema hogged closet space. huh???? Zulema reminds me of a more outgoing Kara Saun who shows her mean side.

Danny Franco got an honorable mention for appearing as himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest View Post
    I didn't like how low-class the My Scene Barbies are either. They may not be "hootchie," but they are trashy. The streaked hair for instance, blech! My generation of Barbie was a class act. First she was a high-fashion model and sort of "country club," (like Disney's Cinderella of the same era), then in the 70s she was the woman who could have any career, and did. What kind of message are they sending now, that girls should look like J Lo or Paris Hilton and have no character or substance?
    I agree - even into the 1990s you saw Doctor Barbie. But it's gonna be about what sells, and Bratz has put some scare into Mattel I think. In my opinion they look tackier than J Lo or Paris Hilton (not that they ALWAYS look tacky - well J Lo sometimes doesn't). I wouldn't let an 8 yr old play with Bratz etc. (if I had one!). But then I'm a bit old fashioned. I think they shouldn't even mess with copying Bratz, Barbie should be proud to be Barbie. If they wanna be innovative how about different body shapes, or hairstyles other than long and silky?

I smiled a little when you mentioned Barbie and wholesome. At first many were against Barbie, thikning her grownup curves did not belong on a child's doll. Did you know 'who' her prototype was? Barbie's creator was in Europe and saw - I think the name was Lily - a German sex doll!! And Barbie does kind of look that way around the edges - extreme curves, pale blond hair and plucked eyebrows.
    Not covering that cellulited "booty" was just pure stubborness and bad judgement. She can't be a contender after that.
    I felt sooo bad for that model, didn't you? Who wants a big closeup of their cellulite on (inter)national tv?? At least the cameras could've backed up (no pun) a bit. For Zulema to humiliate her model like that - then blame it on her too - was pure narcissism. And she called her a hunchback in the extra footage (Bravo website). She doesn't even have talent IMO to back it up (er, again no pun). Her designs are blah at best. How predictable is that one gown she keeps wearing?

Mattel takes their brand very seriously. I'm sure they are more than used to seeing models in Barbie wigs, and expected it!
    Client is king. It's not the time to make a political stand. Why not at least put her in the brunette wig he had on her all the other weeks?? She was adorable in it and there are Barbies just like that. Btw, his doll's dress looked better than his model's outfit but it was still blech. But at least fit better.

Btw, I cannot believe that none of them seemed to realize they were going to Barbie's house. The instant I saw Toys R Us I knew who their fashion icon was going to be!
    I think their egos were too swept up in "design for an icon" or else maybe they were thinking more design-student and not so much tv show. It's not a challenge any serious fashion institute would give, I'd think. Still, going into Toys R Us and they're thinking Sarah Jessica Parker? Hmm. Maybe if she had her own doll?? (can't imagine that)

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Hi Brandy. Nice Avatar!

+ Reply to Thread