+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 12/7 Project Runway 2 Recap: With All This Crying, I Hope Nothing Shrinks (Pt 2)

12/7 Project Runway 2 Recap: With All This Crying, I Hope Nothing Shrinks (Pt 2)

Just like I promised, part two of the Project Runway premiere! It's 11 degrees here, so any designs I see tonight I want to be of parkas or goose-down blankies. So, build a fire, bring the marshmallows, and join me for another trip down the runway!

It's good to win Project Runway!
    Heidi comes out to the designers, to let them know what they're playing for. The prizes...a spread in ELLE magazine, a mentorship with Banana Republic design team, a 2007 Saturn Sky Roadster, and $100,000 courtesy of Saturn to start your own line. Not shabby at ALL. (I would like to note here, that Jay McCarroll, season one winner, turned down his mentorship with Banana Republic.) She also lets them know that there will be a party tonight, woohoo!

A Game of Pick-Up Sticks!
    Ever play pick-up sticks when you were little? Ah, nevermind. My paragraph title is supposed to be funny, since this is where they're going to pick their models, and of course these models are stick-thin. Heck, I'm cold, give me a break here! Out walk 16 barefoot models, in black slips. The model that is still there at the end will get a spread in ELLE magazine. Since Santino was the winner of challenge one, he gets to choose first. He feels it was a blessing from above to get Heather the first time around, so he picks her again. The rest of the designers ge their names drawn by Heidi for the pick order. Chloe picks Grace (again.) Emmett picks Shannon. Andrae picks Danyelle. Guadalupe picks Eliza. Kara picks Eden. Zulema picks Rachael. Marla picks Cara. Nick calls Tarah "Naomi Campbell, Part 2" and picks her. Daniel Franco compliments Rebecca, who he had last challenge, but picks Claudia. Diana picks Lesley Anne. Kirsten picks Melissa. Dan V. picks Rebecca, who is thrilled, since Daniel Franco totally psyched her out. Raymundo goes last, and picks Maria. Heidi then says "you've picked your models, and I hope you're happy, as this will be your model for the rest of the show." OOOH a twist!

Off to the Atlas apartments, where the designers will live during the show. Nick is so happy with his roommates, he has Santino, Dan V, and Andrae. As Santino unpacks, we find out that he has TWO belt-buckles with his name on them (one gold, one silver!), as well as a tacky t-shirt of horses. He really loves those animal t-shirts. In another apartment, the roomies are Zulema, Guadalupe, Kara and Marla. Zulema acts really bitchy about closet space. The next apartment, it's Emmett, Daniel F, and Raymundo. Emmett quickly takes the bedroom that just has one bed, and makes a comment about how they don't want to mess with him because he's 6'6". Arrogant a bit there, Emmett? Raymundo is wearing the ugliest yellow and blue striped socks, they look like something you'd see on a wicked witch. Hidieous. In the last apartment, it's Kirsten, Chloe and Diana. Diana is trying to get dressed for the party, and puts on her old prom dress. I really hope she changes.

Party time!
    Everyone arrives at the party, and yay, the models are there, too. Diana did NOT change, and is wearing that prom dress, which is frightening. Chloe comments to Kirsten that they're going to have to do a make-over on her.

Tim gathers them around to tell them about the next challenge. They are to use the clothes off their backs to fabricate their new designs. I am interrupting this to say I just decided that Nick reminds me of the actor Robert Downey, Jr. *whew* I couldnt' figure it out all during part one of my recap, but now I have. Yay! Moving on. The clothes off their backs...well, Chloe didn't wear much, like a piece of blue jersey, wonder how THAT will turn out? How would YOU do, if you were in this position...and you were wearing your favorite garment? Would you cut it up for a chance at being the Project Runway winner? Hey, no way would I destroy my Whisky-a-Go-go t-shirt, as I wear this to write ALL my recaps. No wonder I'm cold.

When they get back to the apartments, they have to take off everything they have on, and put their stuff in bags to take to Parson's. Nick is very sad about his prized vintage leather jacket. Kirsten doesn't want to give up her scarf, as it's a family heirloom. I noticed that Santino was wearing his lion t-shirt...with the Narnia craze, maybe he can make a nice outfit featuring that lion. (But it still won't be Aslan!)

The next day, at Parson's, Tim tells them that they have until midnight to finish. A look at Nick's space and I see that he actually has his underwear there on the table. Ewwww. Did they have to use EVERYTHING they had on? I mean, undies? Santino sings to his garments "I am destroying you!" which I find funny. Emmett stares at his stuff. And stares some more. Zulema gives some snotty "I always make my deadline" comments. She's rubbing me the wrong way, that closet-hogger. Kirsten has chosen not to use the scarf, for sentimental reasons.

Kara is having some sort of meltdown because she can't find a compass. Then, she can't thread a sewing machine. She's a designer and she can't thread a sewing machine. See, I find that just wrong. I think that should be a requirement. Santino then makes a funny with "will you finish this for me, Lupe?" and she makes a funnier with "sure, but don't expect to win!" Hee.

Under the Gunn (I know, that's bad.)
    Tim comes through to offer suggestions, and this is always my favorite part of the show. I just love Tim Gunn. He gives such good solid advice, and he knows his stuff. Plus, the man can dress. You'd think the contestants would heed his advice, wouldn't you? We'll see about that. Kirsten's making a real mess of what was her Porsche t-shirt. Andrae's looking short on time. Daniel's full of stress, questioning himself. Then, I notice that Santino is wearing his lion t-shirt. Hopefully he's chosen not to use it in his garment, and doesn't actually OWN more than one of them.

Tim comes in at midnight, because the time is up, and a bunch of the designers are not finished. Did they think he was kidding when he said it was a midnight deadline? The next day, they have two hours to finish up, fit their models, and get them to hair and makeup. Oops, I did not do that properly. To the TRESemme hair salon and L'Oreal make-up studio. There, product placement. Daniel is freaking out some more, and he's on my nerves so much that I want him GONE. Go away Daniel Franco.

Raymundo's model doesn't show because she dropped out, but they replaced her with Allison, who wasn't chosen. Zulema's model is prancing about in her creation, with her rear-end hanging out. Granted, it's a perfectly-proportioned, fat-free rear-end, but it's sticking out. Fifteen minutes to go, and Andrae's design is still on the dress form. Emmett helps him sew the model into the dress.

Runway Time!
    Oooh, we have an extra judge tonight! Along with Michael and Nina, we have Diane Von Furstenberg, creator of the wrap dress, that 70's staple of fashion.

Heather walks out first, modeling Santino's design. He used his leather jacket as a skirt. Interesting outfit.

Next, Eliza modeling Guadalupe's design. She used her skirt and jacket to make a really messy-looking short skirt.

Shannon comes out wearing Emmett's design. Kind of a halter-shirt dress with a jacket made out of his jeans.

Allison (the replacement model) comes out in Raymundo's design. He's made a pants/polo/sleeveless jacket outfit. With his initials on the back.

Claudia models Daniel Franco's design, and it's a boring mess of black. Some sort of dress and jacket.

Danyelle models Andrae's design, complete with an animalistic growly pose at the end. Mostly denim, and while I'm a big denim fan, I don't really like it.

Rebecca's next, wearing Dan V's design. The skirt is made out of his jacket, and it's really quite nice.

Cara comes out in Marla's design, and it's a teensy-tiny denim and lace number.

Grace is next, wearing Chloe's design, and while I don't like model Grace at all, I really love Chloe's design. She had the least fabric to work with, but she's created a blue and black dress that really moves.

Next out is Tarah, wearing Nick's design. I hope that poor girl isn't wearing his undies he had laying out! I like this outfit a lot, and it even had a fox tail!

Eden comes out, wearing Kara's design, and man oh man, do I hate those denim shorts! They are rather jodhpur-like, and if you're over 90 lbs, they're going to make the wearer look fat. The top is cute, though.

Out next is Melissa, wearing Kirsten's recycled Porsche t-shirt and a pretty ugly skirt.

Lesley Anne models Diana's old prom dress. Parts of it look a LOT like the original design.

Next is Rachael, wearing what used to be Zulema's cardigan. Her voice-over has her whining about not having worn much that evening, but I clearly see that she was wearing some denim on the bottom, so there is no reason for her nakey-model, is there? She says she did the best she could with what she had, but we're seeing more of Rachael than probably her gynecologist sees of her. (and for all you pervs out there, I'm sure they'll replay this episode a million times this week, after all, it IS Bravo.)

The First Cut Is the Deepest (look, it's 6 am, I'm trying here!)
    The designers all step on the runway. Heidi says "if I call your name, please step forward". She calls Guadalupe to step forward. Wow, that Guadalupe really dresses horribly. I really wouldn't want to have anything designed by someone who cares so little what they look like. Emmett steps forward. Raymundo's next. Then Marla, Nick, Kara, Diana, and Dan V. She tells them all congratulations, their scores were high enough to make it to another challenge. They leave the runway.

That leaves Kirsten, Daniel Franco, Santino, Andrae, Zulema and Chloe. Suncat's pick for the winner...hmm, a tough one. I'm going to say Chloe. For the loser? A toss up between Zulema, Andrae, and Kirsten. I'll say it'll be Kirsten, but I want it to be Zulema. Their models come out to join them, for question time. They look at Santino's and he gets a "very nice" from Diane Von Furstenberg. They all like Chloe's dress. (my favorite!) Daniel, who is grating on my last nerve, says he reset the sleeves, polished up the denim, and played with the silhouette. Whatever, wordy boy. He bores me to tears, but I don't think his design is the worst. Zulema tries to say that her 80 lb model has too much booty, and that's why the dress is too short, and Nina accuses her of trying to make excuses. Nina then asks Kirsten why she didn't use more of garments she was wearing, and we hear about that darned scarf again. Then Kirsten says she'd wear the top she designed with something more demure, or vice versa, and Michael points out that she just said she went over the top. Hee, she walked right into that one, all on her own.

Then there's Andrae. He starts shaking and sniffing the second they call on him. Is it just me, or does he put on an accent one in a while? Anyway, he starts crying all over the place, about how what he had to work with was the testament of the first three years, and maybe the last three years of his career. Heidi asks him if they're happy tears or sad tears, and he says "both!" Sheesh, stop it already. He says the clothes he wore that night were a reflection of his emotion. Nina stops him and says she doesn't need to hear all of this (oooh, I like Nina a little bitty bit better now, for that comment. Not MUCH better, but just a teeny bit.) Andrae grovels..."I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!" You KNOW they won't get rid of that crying mess, surely not. Santino is cracking up laughing, as am I.

Nina thinks Andrae could have been putting on an act so he wouldn't get cut. Michael says it looks like he didn't finish his garment. Next they discuss Kirsten's (my pick to leave tonight.) Michael says the top looks like they were at a bad Guns and Roses concert. Heidi says it was really tacky. Diane likes Zulema's butt-displaying dress. They all like Daniel Franco's design. They all LOVE Chloe's. (my pick, too!) They also all love Santino's. (can he win two challenges in a row?) Out they come to hear their fate!

Zulema is in, she gets to leave. She yaks all the way down the runway, saying "thank you, there will be no more short dresses!" Daniel is in. Go on, bliss-boy. Chloe is the winner of this challenge! Yay, yay, I was right! Santino looks pained at this information. He's in, and he's pretty snotty as he goes backstage, saying "they just didn't want to give me two in a row." Okay, Mr. Rude-pants, I like your designs, but Chloe blew you out of the water on this one, and you don't have to be so mean to her. So we're left with Tacky-girl and Crying-boy on stage. Heidi says "Kirsten, we wish that you'd used more of your resources, your taste level wasn't there (hee!!!). Andrae, we were moved by your story, but it's more important to be moved by what you've designed. Andrae, you're in." He starts crying again, of course. Kirsten is out, and I called both the winner and the loser tonight, time for me to buy a lottery ticket!

Please send goose-down blankies to suncat7@fansofrealitytv.com
    Last edited by suncat7; 12-10-2005 at 06:31 AM.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Another great recap
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Great recap!

I thought Zulema's 'dress' stank, (or shrank?) too (maybe Andrae did cry on it??). But Dianne F. probably remembered the early 70s when women actually wore 'em that short - and the judges may have thought "on the right girl that would look cute". Of course, the right girl would have to be shaped like a pipe cleaner, but oh well. The front wasn't bad.

How bad did Kirsten's design have to be, that a dress that was only half a good design (Zulema's, OK from the front) was deemed better than hers?

Zulema's pretty weak with the excuses already. (I fear for her future customers, if she saw a size 2 model as having "a lot of booty".) And, what the heck happened to Andrae? All he had to say was he 'had a concept but ran out of time'. Maybe he didn't want to admit to any mistakes. (Although his garment looked like a cat shredded it). I guess his strategy was to distract them with tears.

I felt Kirsten could've used the scarf in a number of ways without altering it... her lack of imagination was the real problem.

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    That was great!! Thanks!
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7 View Post
    Under the Gunn (I know, that's bad.)
    The First Cut Is the Deepest (look, it's 6 am, I'm trying here!)
    These were just perfect! *sends down blanket your way* <---only if I get to roll you in it. Personally.

Another fantastic recap, Sun. Thanks for taking the uber-cap and whittling it into a digestable, tasty format. Ahhh. I'm joyfully satiated. *pats belly*
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

You did it again, Suncat. Part 2 was just as satisfying as the first. Here are just some of my favorite moments:
    Quote Originally Posted by suncat7 View Post
    A Game of Pick-Up Sticks!

Hey, no way would I destroy my Whisky-a-Go-go t-shirt, as I wear this to write ALL my recaps. No wonder I'm cold.

I noticed that Santino was wearing his lion t-shirt...with the Narnia craze, maybe he can make a nice outfit featuring that lion. (But it still won't be Aslan!)

I just love Tim Gunn. He gives such good solid advice, and he knows his stuff. Plus, the man can dress. You'd think the contestants would heed his advice, wouldn't you? We'll see about that.

The next day, they have two hours to finish up, fit their models, and get them to hair and makeup. Oops, I did not do that properly. To the TRESemme hair salon and L'Oreal make-up studio. There, product placement.

we're seeing more of Rachael than probably her gynecologist sees of her. (and for all you pervs out there, I'm sure they'll replay this episode a million times this week, after all, it IS Bravo.)

Whatever, wordy boy.

I called both the winner and the loser tonight, time for me to buy a lottery ticket!
    Choe's was also my favorite of this ep (as was Santino's in the first) and I too was more than a little put off by his rather UN-gracious response to Chloe's win.

Can't wait for next week, Suncat, keep up the awesome work.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Thanks for the recap!
    If I were Santino I would have been thinking the same thing (I liked Cloe's design a lot but thought his was even better), but I wouldn't have said it out loud! What a sore winner.

I had a mini PR marathon today. I read your recap first but had to come back and say how hilarious you are. Pure Gold, my dear Suncat!
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

+ Reply to Thread