+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Models: Season 2

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Closet Fan View Post
    Well, they don't necessarily OWE us an explanation for Maria's disappearance. I guess it all depends on WHY she dropped out. For all we know, maybe it was something sensitive, like she had a sick relative, personal business she wouldn't necessarily want discussed on TV. If it was something stupid like she pulled a Morgan and didn't show up on time and they fired her, no point in making more drama over it, especially since one of the eliminated models was good enough to hustle in and take her place on apparently short notice.
    I was merely using Maria's dropping out as an example, but since you elaborated on it... You're absolutely right that they don't really owe the audience at home any explanations. However, PR is supposed to be Reality TV -- which is supposed to thrive on every little insignificant blips and spin them into gargantuan dramas. It's probably just further proof that they want to downplay the models this season more than anything. But wouldn't you like to find out why someone would choose to abandon such opportunity? I would have been perfectly happy if they said Maria chose not to give a reason for leaving; but just saying she had dropped out without anything more is just a dangling thread (bad pun, sorry...) And if Maria did pull a Morgan as you suggested, that could have evolved into an interesting subplot (if only for that episode...)

I hope this is not a forecast of things to come, which the models are reduced down to nothing more than walking mannequins. I actually enjoyed hearing what the girls had to say on the first season -- what little they did say.

I wondered why about Maria, too. She looked a little feverish and sweaty in her closeup, I noticed the 2nd time I watched the episode... but who knows. Maybe she is from a very strict family who wasn't crazy about her being on Tv. Maybe they heard about the model's butt hanging out of Zulema's dress and said no. Or Wendy's "boobie" top from last season.

Just kidding. It would be nice to know though.

Quote Originally Posted by aga View Post
    I noticed the same things and have the same questions.
    My guess is that three designers get eliminated this week - and so, all their models are up for grabs. But then why is Zulema allowed to re-choose? Maybe her model dropped out??

All will soon be revealed, I guess?!

aga
    FORTified
    I cracked up when Andrae's model did the scratching motion at the end of the runway. It reminded me of a story that Tyra Banks tells about her early career - I won't bore you with the details.

Now that would be interesting to see scenes of the designer and model collaborating on how the model will present the clothes.
    "We all know that we're going to get beat tonight." - Melrose (ANTM Cycle 7) when Monique gets eliminated from the CoverGirl / Queen Latifah challenge.

"Hi pretty lady...and Tyra." - Heather (ANTM Cycle 9)

It did seem a bit much. And Andrae loved it, drama queen that he is...

She's a good model but the pose didn't seem to fit the falling-apart denim dress. Why is that feline? Maybe she was telling us a cat got to it and that's where the seams went.

Maybe Maria (the PR dropout) got a great campaign or some other modeling offer she couldn't refuse. Who knows, but I hope it's something good and not bad.

I actually prefer the focus to be on the designers, with the models more in the background. There are other models shows, of course, and I personally like PR being about the clothes.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I hope it's something good and not bad too Snowflake Girl.

I felt bad for Allison. She looked about ready to cry. Really the outfit she was forced to wear was just plain awful (Tim Gunn says so too in his Blog) and badly sewn, and there just wasn't much she could do with it. She could have worn the sunglasses on her head too so they could see her face... I wonder if she knew she'd be out and was crying?? It was that bad.

Well, Allison seemed sweet, I hoped she'd stay around longer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by spiffy View Post
    I was merely using Maria's dropping out as an example, but since you elaborated on it... You're absolutely right that they don't really owe the audience at home any explanations. However, PR is supposed to be Reality TV -- which is supposed to thrive on every little insignificant blips and spin them into gargantuan dramas. It's probably just further proof that they want to downplay the models this season more than anything. But wouldn't you like to find out why someone would choose to abandon such opportunity? I would have been perfectly happy if they said Maria chose not to give a reason for leaving; but just saying she had dropped out without anything more is just a dangling thread (bad pun, sorry...) And if Maria did pull a Morgan as you suggested, that could have evolved into an interesting subplot (if only for that episode...)

I hope this is not a forecast of things to come, which the models are reduced down to nothing more than walking mannequins. I actually enjoyed hearing what the girls had to say on the first season -- what little they did say.
    No, that's true, reality TV is about taking every little off the cuff comment, catty remark, tiny little tiff and distorting it and blowing it up into gargantuan proportions, and while I'd like to think PR is above that, heh, it may be a cut above the rest, but it's still been guilty of it (Jay saying, "finally, something happens to Miss Perfect!" was purportedly Jay recounting what Wendy had said at the time in response to ShoeGate in the final episode, not Jay expressing his own opinion, as was portrayed by the editting).

But if the insignificant blip in question was actually something relatively boring and mundane, at least from our perspective, like she got chicken pox and the producers didn't want her infecting all the other models, or she twisted her ankle and couldn't walk, better NOT to explain it -- in this case, we're all wondering what happened. It may well be far more interesting not to know, wondering, than actually knowing. Sometimes leaving a little mystery is a good thing -- like never knowing what the item hidden inside the Maltese Falcon was.

But you and Snowy may well be right, seems to me they are trying to downplay the models this season, which may or may not be a good thing. Snowy is right, there are other shows about the *models* or perhaps more correctly, *model wannabees*, and I agree I want PR to be more about the designs and the industry itself, and thought the whole emphasis last season on Morgan was too much, but OTOH, with a few exceptions, seeing mature, responsible, career minded working models on PR was a refreshing change from the absolute egotism and vanity of REAL "top models" and the stupid, childish tantrums and hijincks of attention grabbing teenage model wannabees. ;D

BTW, I feel really sorry for poor Allison. She was probably thrilled for the exposure being on the show might garner her, and she ends up leaving so early not through her own inability to model, but because of the failings of her designer. Then she must have been thrilled to get a second chance, pitched in like a trouper on very little notice, only to end up in what she had to have known was the "losing outfit" and will probably get the boot next episode, since the challenge winner Nick seems very taken with his "Naomi Campbell Part 2"....poor kid.

IF memory serves - didn't Allison get bounced TWICE thanks to a foogly orange and white print, with a horrific midriff panel? And an added touch of baby-poop beige in both cases too??

Must have felt like fate.

She did look horrified... couldn't even smile... I can't blame her one bit! Too bad she got the short end of the yardstick.

+ Reply to Thread