+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Santino Rice - Season 2

FORT Fan
    I think my issue with the babydoll dress is mainly the color. If it had been, for example, chocolate brown, it'd have been much better.

The man can certainly tailor; but if he is so arrogant in thinking that he is going to win every challenge (and be a sore loser if he isn't) then obviously he is not going to win many fans.

I don't know if he really is the Wendy Pepper of this season -- I was merely quoting what other contestants said. But to be fair, even Michael Kors said Wendy Pepper could tailor -- it didn't necessairly mean she was a good designer. So just because Santino can tailor, doesn't mean he's a good designer either. I will reserve my judgements until I see more of his work. Having said that, it's entirely possible the guys meant Santino is the uberbiatch of this season -- talent doesn't really have anything to do with it. If Wendy was evil and talented, I doubt she'd be hated any less.

FORT Newbie
    What does everyone think the "walk off" that Zulema mentions is? - I think maybe her model dropped out after having her behind exposed in that dress from episode two - why that wasn't an automatic out for her I don't know -

Anyway if her model dropped out they would have to offer her other models - like they did for the other designer whose model dropped out (which designer was that?) and then she could ask for a "walk off" - talk about ego - she is the real ego - she makes Santino look sweet

Quote Originally Posted by pg13 View Post
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only straight male in America who watches this show--and, admittedly, I might not understand some of the intricacies of women's fashion...

...but I agree with MotherSister and, evidently, I disagree with the entire rest of the world...in saying that I didn't like Santino's green baby-doll dress at all.

Where the hell is that waistline? Is that an Empire Waistline (a term I only learned because I once asked "Oh my God, how could they make Kate Winslet look so awful in those dresses from 'Sense & Sensibility' and was told that no one looks good in an Empire Waisted dress)? Well, NO ONE LOOKS GOOD IN AN EMPIRE WAISTED DRESS!!!
    Yay! I am very happy to see you on here PG, I always enjoy your thoughtful and insightful perceptions on the TAR threads. And even though I'm a gay male, I'm happy to find another male on this thread. I'll forgive you for being straight too.

I do understand your dislike of Santino's dress from an aesthetic point of view (I put this dress into the category I like to call "A pregnant lady dress"). I do respect the beauty and intricacy of it's design. I just don't get that particuliar "waist-free" look. Everyone I see in a dress like that, I assume they are pregnant. I don't think it's flattering to a woman with a model shape, but I am no fashion critic either.

Quote Originally Posted by pg13 View Post
    pg--As always, uncertain as to why he's watching yet another reality show on Bravo that he can't really relate to--seattle
    Hey, as far as Reality TV Shows, I think this show is only rivaled by a good season of TAR. It show a truly competitive spirit of creativity, something a lot of these shows can't sustain on a regular basis. There is just something about seeing people trying to "out-create" each other that compells me to watch this particuliar show, even if it's in a business I don't know or understand personally. And with the hosts, judges, and environment they create in, it lends itself to a certain credibility and believability that I can totally be engaged in. Don't question it...go with it! I look forward to more of your posts.

BTW -- If you were just watching Manhunt on Bravo, I might be asking you a few more questions about why you are on here.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

FORT Fan
    I am pretty sure there are more than two guys posting in this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by muggle View Post
    Yay! I am very happy to see you on here PG, I always enjoy your thoughtful and insightful perceptions on the TAR threads. And even though I'm a gay male, I'm happy to find another male on this thread. I'll forgive you for being straight too.
    I'll accept your forgiveness, Muggle...after all, I really didn't have a choice in the matter...I was born this way.

I do understand your dislike of Santino's dress from an aesthetic point of view (I put this dress into the category I like to call "A pregnant lady dress"). I do respect the beauty and intricacy of it's design. I just don't get that particuliar "waist-free" look. Everyone I see in a dress like that, I assume they are pregnant. I don't think it's flattering to a woman with a model shape, but I am no fashion critic either.
    Pregnant lady dress--perfect. I totally agree. It's like--OH MY GOD, did you just give birth before walking out onto the runway... Who is looking after the kid? (Probably Tim Gunn. "Is it pooping time yet Baby Model? Well then. Come on. Make it work.")

Hey, as far as Reality TV Shows, I think this show is only rivaled by a good season of TAR. It show a truly competitive spirit of creativity, something a lot of these shows can't sustain on a regular basis. There is just something about seeing people trying to "out-create" each other that compells me to watch this particuliar show, even if it's in a business I don't know or understand personally. And with the hosts, judges, and environment they create in, it lends itself to a certain credibility and believability that I can totally be engaged in. Don't question it...go with it! I look forward to more of your posts.
    I posted on here a few times for season one...I had some good suggestions at the end of last year that I hoped they'd review before this second season started--like not giving the designers completely unreasonable time deadlines, because I'd rather see different completely realized designs be judged against each other rather than just a speed-sewing contest.

And I agree with you about a show where someone "out-creates" each other--which is one reason you'll never catch me watching American Idol or ANTM. Nothing terribly "creative"--in my mind--about being molded into someone else's ideal image of something so you can sing someone else's songs or wear someone else's clothes (I'm not saying that singers and models aren't "talented." They certainly have job skills...but the creativity seems to reside in those who mold them, those who write for them and those who design for them.)

At least here on Project Runway, you can SEE the results of someone utilizing their artistic talent under unusual circumstances.

BTW -- If you were just watching Manhunt on Bravo, I might be asking you a few more questions about why you are on here.
    Question away...because I'm confident enough in my own sexuality to admit that I actually ended up watching a few episodes of Manhunt. Even my girlfriend asked me, "Uhhhhh...remind me...why are we watching this again?" The only thing I could say was "Because The West Wing is on next...and that's YOUR favorite show, honey."

Which was true...but I could have watched VH1 Classic right up until it was time for Leo, CJ, Charlie, Sam, Toby, Josh, Donna, Margaret, Abbie, Zoe and Jed...

pg--seriously, I'm not planning on heading towards Brokeback Mountain anytime soon...although I hear the movie is great and maybe I'll go to see it--seattle

PS--Note that this isn't a total threadjack...I did continue to express my quixotic dislike of Santino's first project above...

FORT Fan
    *sigh*

OT: There's nothing wrong with straight men watching Manhunt -- if straight women can enjoy ANTM, so can straight men with Manhunt.

And if everyone goes to see Brokeback Mountain, maybe there will be less homophobia and misconceptions in the world.

Now back to Santino...

Big talent; bigger ego; even bigger adam's apple.

FORT Newbie

Mr. Rice, The Ringleader

I speculate that we haven't even scratched the surface of Santino's colorful character. The teaser they played at the end of the fist week showed a tiny clip in which it appeared that Santino was having a full out shouting match with Nina Garcia. How about his awesome comment "Hey Heidi Klum, why don't you hand out 4 auf wiedersehens and let's really get this thing started". I also read in Entertainment Weekly that he comments to Kors, "I know a lot of people who have never heard of Michael Kors". yes it's going to be a fun and exciting season and Santino Rice is the ring leader without question.

Hoo-boy. Will they forgive him and hand him first place? I definitely think they'll look for someone with personality. However he should think of his long term career and not BEGIN it by biting the hands that are feeding him publicity. Then again the show might love it. Here we are talking about him already.

I liked the baby doll dress but mainly because I felt so comfy wearing those (only lightweight ones though not those awful pleated gathered ones) at that age. It's hard to say how it would look on a 'real' woman though (not a model type). Since it didn't seem to add width to her too much it might be very flattering.

I think it would look best on a busty woman without a small waist - it would hide that - or on a woman who had a ballerina figure, slim with nice legs. It doesn't seem to stick out in front like some gathered Empire gowns do, so I think it would actually look good on most women. Most of the detail is on the sides, and up high, so I don't think it would add pounds at the stomach or hips. But that's just a fair guess. A woman whose stomach did stick out, the dress would definitely fall across that and show it. It is definitely not a figure flaw hiding dress other than a flat stomach wide waist 'figure'. Which isn't much of a flaw. It is clearly made for someone who wants to show off their arms and legs and self.

Now his bomber jacket skirt, that would look awful on anyone but a rail thin model type.

I feel very ambivalent about Santino. On the one hand, his design in the semi-finals was my hands-down favorite, and I appreciate his sense of aesthetics and dedication to craftsmanship, HOWEVER I was really turned off by the way he acted in episode two, in particular his comment after Chloe's win. Whether or not this was edited in from another moment, it still left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I will have to wait and see what he does next before I can form a real opinion, but I can say that at this point he's already the most memorable character of this season so far. If he is the new Wendy Pepper, at least thank God he actually has talent to back up his bad behavior!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread