+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Emmett McCarthy - Season 2

Emmett McCarthy - Season 2

Home town: New York, NY.
    Education: Parsons

From the official site:

Emmett McCarthy was born sixth out of eight children in North Haven, Connecticut, designer Emmett McCarthy and now lives and works in New York City. Emmett’s artistic talents were recognized at age six by Alfred Tulk, who encouraged Emmett’s parents to educate him in drawing and painting. Emmett attended the Educational Center for the Arts, a talented and gifted high school for Visual and Performing Arts in New Haven, Connecticut. In New Haven, teacher, sculptor and artist Anna Broell Bresnick encouraged Emmett to nurture his ability to design clothing. Emmett studied fashion design and earned his B.F.A. at Parsons School of Design. In the 1980s, he met Antonio Lopez, fashion illustrator to the world’s elite designers. Mentored by Antonio before he died of AIDS in 1987, he was one of Emmett’s strongest influences. Emmett went on to work as a photo stylist and editor with photographer Maureen Goss and also collaborated with fashion illustrator Andrea Selby.

After graduating from Parsons, Emmett moved to London and then Paris, working for designers in both cities and cultivating his taste for European style, color and silhouettes. After returning to New York City, he began designing men’s sport and dress shirts for Publix Group, Nautica and Wrangler. Emmett was then hired as Design Director of Sportswear Collections with designer Ron Chereskin and remained there for six years, creating fashion shows at CFDA’s Seventh on Sixth in Bryant Park and overseeing the design direction of licensees and advertising promotions.

In addition to his extensive travels, Emmett is also influenced by literature. He attended New York University to study screen writing where he collaborated on a film script with Nicole Hughes, writer and founder of Plastic Sugar Press. He has also written two memoirs, “My Lips Were Sealed” and “Frankly Stated,” which both recount his experience growing up in a large family challenged with death, illness and his difficulty with coming out to his Irish Catholic family.

Could he be this year's Austin?

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    Could he be this year's Austin?
    That's what I'm feeling. At least he has the pretentious part down pat.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Silent Lover To All TymeMarteen's Avatar
    He doesn't really have experience designing for women, which is always the case on the show... so this may be interesting.

Say it with me now. . .

Fosseee!

He screams jazz-hands. His less than extensive work in women's apparel may be a problem, but I get the feeling he can pull off some pretty sophisticated looks.

he may have my vote based soley on his love of sparkles.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    It's not unheard of for Menswear Designers to become very successful womens clothing designers - Giorgio Armani, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Richard Tyler, Joseph Abboud ...
    Last edited by Chorita KaBoom; 11-30-2005 at 02:55 AM.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Team Renee//Team Sarah// DreamOf1000Cats's Avatar
    He seems very genuine, and complex. I like him though. He's rather striking. Attractive, and good design sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamOf1000Cats View Post
    He seems very genuine, and complex. I like him though. He's rather striking. Attractive, and good design sense.
    Yeah, but maybe a touch of a know-it-all. He will either be a rock for others depend on, or annoy the hell out of everyone with his upper crust "I'm from Pahsons" attitude.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Silent Lover To All TymeMarteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corprip View Post
    Yeah, but maybe a touch of a know-it-all. He will either be a rock for others depend on, or annoy the hell out of everyone with his upper crust "I'm from Pahsons" attitude.
    That's what I got from him, an air of pretension, but man can he design! His "Clothes off your Back" design was my favorite and thought it deserved to win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast