+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jay Gets Own Bravo Show

Here's the latest on good ol' Jay...

Quote Originally Posted by pagesix
    'RUNWAY' JAY TURNS DOWN PRIZE

December 13, 2005 -- 'PROJECT Runway" winner Jay McCarroll says he turned his back on the reality show's $100,000 grand prize.
    McCarroll, who beat out 11 other competitors last spring on Bravo's designing reality show, walked away from the dough and the chance to be mentored by Banana Republic designers.

McCarroll told the Washington Post that he couldn't discuss his reasons for shunning the cash — due to strict contractual stipulations — but didn't deny that he thought there were "too many strings" attached to the grand prize.

McCarroll will be the focus of a one-hour Bravo documentary, "Project Jay," which will premiere in February, showing his move to New York and his efforts to launch a clothing line. — Post TV Staff
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I think Jay has a problem with "blurting". Good for confessional video for a reality show, but not so endearing in real life or on a long term series of his own. If he gets that in rein a bit, his colorful personality and sense of humor could prove entertaining. Otherwise it isn't all THAT interesting to watch someone draw, unless they're Picasso.

And Unzipped has it covered (no pun) for fashion docus... I like Jay, but he needs to know when to 'oh snap' and when not.

(And technically I agreed with him about Kathy's clothes... green IS cliche and I think she hasn't seen yet what couture would look like on her... not just an average strappy gown. BUT the way Jay said it in front of cameras and a roomful of people, was embarrassing to her, and tactless. He needs to smooth feathers if he's gonna design for celebs, not ruffle them.)

FORT Newbie
    Good for Jay for not taking the money. Bad deals can kill good talents. Whatever he does, he's on his way to success now.

I can't exactly remember where or when I saw/read this, but I remember something about Jay being displeased about how his designs for the Olympus Fashion Week runway show were going to be the property of the show's producers, the program, Bravo, whatever, so it may well be that in order to avoid those specific designs becoming someone else's property, he turned down the winning package. I also remember reading in the spoilers thread here that it was rumored that backstage after the judging for the final episode, Jay was heard saying he hoped that the Banana Republic mentorship wouldn't be too constricting.

I do applaud him for sticking to his guns and turning it all down to maintain creative control and keep his intellectual property, but it does seem a shame to me. A lot of the designers on the show probably could have used the money, and been grateful for the opportunity, including the mentorship. BR definitely isn't Jay's style at all, but I find it hard to believe there was NOTHING they could have provided him in terms of advice, if not in terms of design, at least in terms of marketing, promotions, contractual matters, inventory, etc. I'd like to start my own business, completely unrelated to anything BR-like, and I'd love to pick the BR folks brains just on the minutiae of the business side of things. What a wasted opportunity!

I can't really imagine Jay fitting in at Banana Republic, though. They are so earth tone-y and solid color-y. Not a lot of room in there for magenta, quilted jackets.

I could easier imagine him at Benetton maybe or even the Gap or heck even Abercrombie :shudder: Because of their color palette and so forth. I think he'd get sooo bored working at BR.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    I can't really imagine Jay fitting in at Banana Republic, though. .... I think he'd get sooo bored working at BR.
    But the prize wasn't a job at BR. I read somewhere that it was sort of monthly meetings for about 6 months. I agree with Closet Fan that it's too bad they couldn't work something out. There was an interview with Jay in which he said that the timing just didn't work out. They wanted to talk with him about various opportunities and his head was still spinning from the PR win.

Re: the money. It's a lot of money, particularly for a new designer/business. For his sake, I hope that it was a good decision to turn it down--sometimes you have to play the game and give a little in order to move forward. Jay didn't strike me as a much of a businessman (remember the "booster seat" comment). Since we don't know the terms, we just have to trust that Jay felt it was unworkable.

I was reading an article about several emerging designers (Derek Lam, Peter Som, etc.), who all have shows under their belts, clients, good reviews, etc. They are all struggling and having to pick up extra jobs outside designing their lines--like designing sneakers for company X or special collections for store Y. Or they have to find a backer with deep pockets. The CFDA chair (?) was quoted in the article as saying it is unlikely that they will all survive, given current (and projected) trends.

Jay's definitely a free spirit, very independent minded, and yes, the booster seat comment was probably very prescient. I can't see him handling the business side of things, the bureaucracy, cash flow, inventory control, etc. very well at all, and even if he hires people who ARE good at that, I don't see him LISTENING to them if its contrary to what he wants to do.

Kara Saun, unfortunately, probably would have LOVED to have what Jay turned down, she seems like she's smart enough that she would have loved any business contacts she could get, and she was talking in the first episode of this season about business plans, meetings, etc. -- she clearly has much more of a grounded business sense, much more practical about such things, after all, she's been making a living designing for the entertainment industry. Well, actually, Jay was also designing for the entertainment industry, if that's a euphemism you want to use but on a smaller scale.

It's a shame.

Hmm, it was just meetings? Strange. Maybe it was like an option to buy his designs first or something. He was vague about why or what he didn't like.

$100,000 is a lot, yes but he could likely spend that on one collection. Maybe he's playing the field a bit more before commiting. Or maybe his ego is large enough that he thinks the fame from the show will last longer than it will. Hard to say.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12