+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 2/23 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

H2O

ramblings...

The 2 beds in one room - gag me - I would have taken the couch too!

The shoegate was a bit overdone. I felt the producers gave Kara Saun a great option - have the models wear the shoes but judges cannot consider them. Lucky girl.

If they do a project runway #2 please don't have celebrity judges - hate it! I like a rotating panel of fashion experts throughout the entire series. The celebrity judges added nothing.

I certainly don't understand why Kara had a couple of dresses the models couldn't walk it. For such a detail person, she missed the mark on this.

I personally liked Kara's collection better than Jay's. Her clothes were more appealing to me.

However, I do concur that Jay was the original one of the group. Kara was the best executor. Wendy was there because the producers wanted her to move through to the final round for the drama of it.

Finally - I totally concur if we don't get project runway 2...Bravo run with Jay's idea "Project Jay"!!

Well, does anyone know for sure that the "fur" was "real" fur, and not the fake stuff? It could be, probably not, but it could be. I liked most of Kara Saun's collection, and the fitting was beautiful, but I think in addition to the Gucci issue, the problem was it was a little too retro (which I personally don't have a problem with), a little too gimmicky, dependent upon a movie for its inspiration and rather dated appeal. And unfortunately for Kara, it wasn't just one model who had problems with her long dress, it was at least two, the "named" model and Josienne.

Which brings me to another observation about the models that were used. When comparing the Project Runway models with the girls competing on ANTM for example, it was clear to me in many if not all cases that there was a clear superiority of the girls on PR vis-a-vis the ANTM contestants. Now, after seeing this episode's REAL fashion show, with a long runway, a clear shot of the girls posing at the end, turning, and walking back, including the unfortunate long dress problems with Kara's collection, it seems clear to me that there is yet another level of difference between the regular PR models and some of the professional catwalkers who only appeared in this episode's runway work.

For example, the two models who had the most noticeable overlong hems in Kara Saun's collection, the "big name" model and Josienne. Both hitched their skirts up a little, but Miss Big Name did it much more subtly, one hand only, managed to strike her pose, managed to keep the line of the dress mostly intact, albeit with the little stumble at the beginning. Josienne, I always wondered why she was eliminated so quickly, and I think I may perhaps found out. Josienne, well, poor girl, maybe her dress was even longer, but she had handfuls of dress grabbed in both hands, you could visibly see the folds across the front, she didn't even let go of the fabric to hit her runway end pose, it looked very awkward and unflattering, and it looked to me like it was hitched up even more on her way back down the runway. Poor girl. Its too bad, because otherwise it might really have looked like a stunning dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I hated Wendy's music. Her collection was okay, but nothing special. Just "meh" The crowd didn't seem too impressed either. That's the first time I've heard golf claps at a fashion show
    I'm not sure that we heard the actual music that was played during the show--probably for music licensing reasons, a lot of reality-based shows will overdub in post-production any scene with recognizable music to either music that their production company has negotiated more favorable rights for...or to something produced in-house--often, generic production music.

I wasn't at FashionWeek, so I can't say that for certain--but when half of Heidi's speeches to the designers were obviously recorded in a soundbooth and dubbed in after the fact, and knowing how other reality shows deal with music-based scenes, I'd put good money down that the extremely generic music beds the three designers used were not what was actually used at the event...

pg--seattle

PS--I'm happy Jay won...and if he makes sweaters for men, I'd be interested in buying one...

Quote Originally Posted by blashion
    Well, I am glad that Kara Saun was finally exposed as the calculating manipulator that she is. She was every bit as conniving as Wendy, but hid behind a sham of befriending others, all the while stabbing them in the back. "Screw you with a smile". Isn't it typical of all big time manipulators?? I was glad Wendy fought back, but honesly. How does someone get to be 40 and have no more defenses against the evil Kara Sauns of the world's tricks than that? In her effort not to be "played" by Kara Saun she made herself look bad. I didn't blame her for her comments about Austin and Kevin, the moderators set her up for that. But even so, she should have had more grace about it. She has no tact.

I too thought Jay should have won based on originality alone. Plus he was not playing games, but seemed to be getting duped by KS. I guess playing it straight pays off sometimes. I'm glad it did for the final. But if I were to have someone design something for me for a special occasion, it would be Wendy Pepper. I don't think it is an accident that her items have been selling. She does very marketable stuff.

I'd be happy if KaraSaun was never heard from again. Arrogant head-game player that she is. If she won't play by the clearly defined contest rules, then imagine what she'd do in the business world!
    I agree with almost everything you said. I have posted before that Wendy was set up and Kara was a snake. In the finale episode she was revealed to be a cheating scum who is unwilling to even admit her villainy. Kara was psychotic, and although Wendy was not able to "defend" herself, she did comport herself with more grace and dignity than Kara or Jay either.

I was losing my supportive feelings for Jay because of his extra-mean statements in the first half-hour, but he has a way of endearing himself even with all the snarking and smoking. He was my original pick to win, and by the end I was very glad he won, especially since the producer's were letting Kara basically get away with her arrogant shoe cheat. (It is like with a jury; an objection can be sustained but the comment has already made its impact. The judges already saw the shoes on the runway; how can they really "disregard" them?)

Kara had a "strategy" of turning attention to the so-called wrongdoing of others and flying under the radar herself. How is it they didn't see that??? Just because she calls her own behavior "aggressive and acceptable" doesn't mean that it is acceptable.

Also, Kara's clothes were just copies of things (be it Gucci or old movie outfits), not original like Jay's or wearable like Wendy's. Except there would be gaping holes in front (hated her clothes that did that all season) and back. Even Jay's finale gown had the gaping fabric hole where a chest should go. What was this, Project Tuberculosis?
    Last edited by Harvest; 02-24-2005 at 04:45 PM.

Great post!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by H2O
    Wendy was there because the producers wanted her to move through to the final round for the drama of it.
    I too wondered if the producers tried to finagle a way to keep Wendy around for the drama. Very Mark Burnettian of them.

Problem with that theory is, Nancy Odell was in charge that episode, not the producers. I feel Nancy, and Banana Republic for that matter, chose Wendys offering because the other designers were perhaps too 'high fashion', Rodeo Drive, outre, whichever adjective you think fits.

I know alot of you guys are really into this anti-Wendy thing, and I understand what you're basing it on.

For some reason I am more sympathetic to her.

Whether you think she's bitchy or just strong-willed, inept or just in a learning curve, an outsider, or just majorly competitive .... there's no denying there's a market for her work, and that she GOT to the final 3 somehow.

I think she has poor social skills but in fact craves exterior validation like everybody else. She's intelligent and in fact very well spoken, but has an unlikable shell. Jay started to realize all this at the end. Kudos to Jay, really. That more than anything endeared me to him.

er.. I guess that makes me a 'Defendy' after all.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl
    OK, here's a question for the group--last night Heidi first said that each designer was going to do 12 outfits. Then they each picked 12 models. Then Michael Kors said something about their 12 looks and needing shoes/accessories. BUT then on the runway show, each showed 10. Anyone know where the missing 6 went? Is that how many models Austin had?
    Maybe some of Jay's models never showed and they wanted to make it "fair"?

I saw Austin's video on the Bravo website but don't remember the number of models. FWIW, I like Austin, but even if Austin had been in the finale, I still think Jay deserves his win.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest
    Also, Kara's clothes were just copies of things (be it Gucci or old movie outfits), not original like Jay's or wearable like Wendy's. Except there would be gaping holes in front (hated her clothes that did that all season) and back. Even Jay's finale gown had the gaping fabric hole where a chest should go. What was this, Project Tuberculosis?

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest

OMG that was funny!

FORT Regular
    Just watched the video and noticed a couple of things.

First, Austin also had 10 models. Maybe he only had ten outfits and everyone else changed? Don't know.

Anyways, Austin technically "gave away" the results of the show during his opening speech. He apologized for his appearance because he and his sister were pulling an all nighter getting ready for the show. His sister wouldn't have been able to help him if he was a "live" contestant.

The website also has a little commentary from Austin stating that Bravo called him six weeks before the show, which would mean right at Christmas weekend. So he basically only had 4 weeks to do what he did. That's pretty amazing in my book.

+ Reply to Thread