+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Season 2 For Runway In Doubt

Season 2 For Runway In Doubt

February 22, 2005 -- 'PROJECT Runway" may get snipped from Bravo's lineup, despite becoming a hit this season.
    The second season of the popular cable show which follows a group of designers competing for a big-bucks contract to produce a line of apparel is in jeopardy because of the expected split between Miramax, the studio that produces it, and Disney.

While it is clear that Bravo wants to renew the show, there is currently no deal in place because TV executives are not sure who will have the rights to "Project" next year: Disney or Miramax.

"It is our heartfelt intent to be able to go to season two," Bravo president Lauren Zalaznick told the industry trade magazine Mediaweek. "But nothing is a given."

Producers "still need to figure out how they can cast another season of the show and come up with a different set of challenges," she said.

The real challenge may ultimately be sorting out who actually owns the show.

Miramax chiefs Bob and Harvey Weinstein have employment deals with Disney through September 2005, according to published reports.

At the moment, when those agreements end, Disney is believed to have the option of keeping the rights to some or all of Miramax's properties, including "Project Runway," unless the studio chiefs are able to renegotiate.

Whether the Weinsteins or Disney walk away with the rights to the show remains to be seen.

A network source told The Post yesterday, "We are looking at it from every angle," and that the likelihood of a Disney/Miramax split "has nothing to do with the situation [of renewing the show]."

Calls to Miramax were not returned yesterday.

Tomorrow's two-hour "Runway" finale will feature a showdown between the show's three finalists: kooky comedian Jay McCarroll, 29, Air Force brat Kara Saun, 37, and ruthless, conniving designer Wendy Pepper, 39.

The winner, announced during the finale, will get a photo spread in Elle and $100,000 to launch a clothing line.
    http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/40943.htm

I think they would have a hard time finding a cast as wonderfully entertaining as this one has been anyway.

Well, it would be even more sad if they couldn't even *TRY*. I can already tell I'm going to have major Austin, Jay and Kara Saun withdrawal.

Heidi was on the today show this morning and said that they are still in talks. I also read that the Weinsteins are this close to a deal with Disney so we may hear about a PR2 as soon as that deal is done. I for one can not see how Bravo could even think of not doing another season. This show is helping that channel make it.

Yeah, this and Queer Eye (unless you're a big "Inside The Actors Studio" freak like me) is what is getting the viewers and carrying the network.

Bravo has an e-mail sign up for future notices regarding the second season. They're looking for potential contestants.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    I think they would have a hard time finding a cast as wonderfully entertaining as this one has been anyway.
    I thought the same thing. I mean how many Jay's are there? Kara,Austin,Rob and even mean Wendy and the others fit really well with drama and everything.

All they have to do is get Jay involved in the judging. Then we won't lose our baby Jay-bear AND we get a second season.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I sure hope they have another Project Runway.. I really enjoyed this! The cast/competitors definitely gave the show the extra spice that it needed (Jay most of all)..because if we didn't have any 'colorful' people to watch, I think it would have flopped.

Also, the fact that they didn't slant the editing in any sort of direction.. helped (me anyway) in enjoying how the whole series unfolded!

Great show!!! Bravo, BRAVO!!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Yeah, I saw last night when they were advertising the casting for season 2 during the finale (little notice is the lower left-hand corner) I figured that was a good sign for a season 2.

+ Reply to Thread