+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I Want Wicked Wendy To Win

Why I Want Wicked Wendy To Win

February 21, 2005 -- NOT that Wendy Pep per should care one way or another what I think, but I am praying for her to win it all on "Project Runway."
    I crave nothing more than to see the looks on the faces of the two other finalists sanctimonious Kara Saun, 37, and malicious Jay McCarroll, 29 when the judges award the 39-year-old mom from Middleburg, Va., the show's grand prize in this Wednesday's two-hour finale (9 p.m. on Bravo).

She richly deserves it. Few reality-show participants have ever been as maligned as she has been over the course of this cutthroat series.

And, as she demonstrated last Wednesday, when she had mud flung at her from all sides during that bitchy reunion special, she can take the heat.

I'm certain her two co-finalists would have run crying to their mommas if they had been the ones under attack. Come to think of it, that's exactly what one of Wendy's more outspoken critics the atrocious Vanessa Riley did during the reunion show as soon as tart-tongued Jay aimed his venom at her.

Vanessa, who was the fourth contestant eliminated on the show, got up and ran from the room not only a loser, but a sore one, just like most of the other nine losers whose design instincts were not sharp enough to get them to the finals.

Getting to the finals is one of the grand prizes on "Project Runway," the fashion-biz reality show spearheaded by supermodel Heidi Klum. For their final competition, the three surviving contestants were each invited to design a collection of 12 pieces and then mount a real fashion show for the industry, the press and the "Project Runway" judges on the opening morning of Fashion Week under the big tent in Bryant Park.

The winner also gets $100,000 in seed money to invest in his or her own business.

The fashion shows, which I was lucky enough to attend, were Feb. 4. Predictably, Jay and Kara were cheered wildly like the crowd favorites they are. Wendy received a more reserved style of polite applause, thanks probably to the way she has been portrayed as a villainess on the show.

It's an unfair portrayal because her alleged transgressions always seemed so slight such as the time she grabbed a bolt of orange cloth that Kara was thinking of using.

The alleged hijacking took place in a Garment District fabric store, where, as most New Yorkers know, if you snooze, you lose. I'm siding with Wendy on this one if Kara wanted that bolt so badly, she should have kept her hands on it.

Meanwhile, back at the fashion shows, Wendy stunned all her naysayers by putting on a knockout presentation. When it was over, it was clear she had just as much a chance of winning as Kara, the L.A. costume designer who most "Project Runway" fans are picking to win.

Wednesday's finale is all about the fashion shows and the four months of preparation that went into them. I've seen it (minus the announcement of the winner) and I won't spoil it by revealing anything that happens.

However, I can tell you it is a hell of a TV show.
    http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/40207.htm

Well, I'm glad to see that wasn't written by Mr. Page 6, he probably would have been run out of town by the New York fashion establishment. Tarred and feathered, no doubt.

There are a few things I agree with him about. Jay himself is quite ascerbic and has made plenty of biting comments, but should anyone else do so, has called them on it in shock, although I don't exactly consider saying to someone "You've been so bitter tonight. Why are you so bitter? Have a yoga class!" a vicious attack, or Vanessa's saying "this is bullshit" and stomping out, running out of the room in fright and horror.

Obviously, this guy hasn't watched the series much, if he thinks the most egregious thing Wendy has done or said is taking Kara Saun's bolt of cloth. Many of her designs on their own should be classified as crimes against humanity. And of course she took it all calmly, if you don't care what others think about you, you are not going to be bothered with what they think or say. She may well be a borderline sociopath, as someone pointed out in another thread. Besides, she's clearly so smug and satisfied from making the final three, that her ego has persuaded her that they are attacking her because they are jealous of the fact that "obviously the judges saw some talent". She's clearly separated the fact that her behavior, demeanor and comments have earned the enmity, rationalized such things by saying the ends justify the means, and come up with a fantasy alternate reality scenario whereby they're all just plain jealous of her. Yeah right.

I'm also amazed that the author of the article thinks the less than enthusiastic applause of the Fashion Week audience is a result of Wendy's portrayal on the show, rather than a genuine reaction to her "designs". Yeah, I'm sure nobody in the building knew anything at all about fashion, all the press reviewers were wrong, and nobody in the place would have overcome their reservations about her character if she'd come out with a really spectacular collection. Oh, and Tim Gunn knows absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Closet Fan
    Well, I'm glad to see that wasn't written by Mr. Page 6, he probably would have been run out of town by the New York fashion establishment. Tarred and feathered, no doubt.
    I was relieved to see AIWANNABE wasn't posting some personal rant!
    Obviously, this guy hasn't watched the series much, if he thinks the most egregious thing Wendy has done or said is taking Kara Saun's bolt of cloth.
    Spot on - my first thought was that he must have only watched one episode.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Clearly, this article is not meant to be taken seriously, but was written merely for the shock value of the title and to crank out a story about PR.

I will say that I think some of the comments here re: Wendy have been unfair. (Of course, that's what we do. ) Blaming her, first of all, for "betraying" Morgan by picking Melissa. What would anyone have done? And for attacking the leaderships of Austin and Kevin when put in the spotlight: even Austin seemed to understand her explanation, Kevin was a bad leader. Not to say that she's a real designer or hasn't been completely nasty...

Wendy doesn't display sociopathic qualities to me, though. Namely, she is too upfront about / not good at hiding her malicious intents. I think she's just a confused, desperate woman.

I thought the article must have been written by a relative. Obviously it was written by someone who hasn't followed the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    I will say that I think some of the comments here re: Wendy have been unfair. (Of course, that's what we do. ) Blaming her, first of all, for "betraying" Morgan by picking Melissa. What would anyone have done
    I agree she would have been nutso to pick Morgan over Melissa. It was the way she did it. It was downright cruel to Morganzilla.

I also think the author of the article cannot have watched more than the one episode and the "reunion" show.

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    I will say that I think some of the comments here re: Wendy have been unfair. (Of course, that's what we do. ) Blaming her, first of all, for "betraying" Morgan by picking Melissa. What would anyone have done?
    I'll give you Kevin, but I do blame her for betraying Morgan just because of the way she treated her on the runway. Here's Morgan, standing in her full slip, listening to Wendy go on about what a special bond they have. She was nodding her head and looking about to cry, then wham! She turns and gives the button to Melissa.

It was completely unnecessary to lead her on like that. If she had said "it's been great working with you and I consider you a friend BUT -" that would be softening the blow. Instead it was more like "Morgan, we have a bond that will live forever and you're very special. Melissa, I choose you." Just yank that rug out from underneath her feet!

She is a reality TV producer's dream - all that drama for free.

ETA: and Mariner said the same right above me!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

True, but I do think if anyone else had given the Morgan speech, it wouldn't have been given a second thought. Anyway, defending Wendy is the last thing on my agenda. I think hating Wendy, though, unless it's what gets you off, is a waste of energy. The woman is a train wreck, about to get her just desserts.

I agree with everything that has been said.

I began watching this show during the bathing suit challenge. I watched the marathon this weekend, and in my opinion Wendy Pepper should have been gone during the first challenge. I agree with Jay she is a cockroach, that just keeps on surviving, how I don't know. But something makes me think that Wendy Pepper is the winner of the final show. I say this because she is the the quentisential life loser, and it just seems that lady luck has finally given her the thumbs up. So I say Wendy will be the winner.

I agree also with whomever said she is a desperate woman. She even said that during the "Envy" challenge because she is competing with younger people. I mean during the "Envy" no one even looked at her design.

I'm just hoping for a second season.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I'll give you Kevin, but I do blame her for betraying Morgan just because of the way she treated her on the runway. Here's Morgan, standing in her full slip, listening to Wendy go on about what a special bond they have. She was nodding her head and looking about to cry, then wham! She turns and gives the button to Melissa.

It was completely unnecessary to lead her on like that. If she had said "it's been great working with you and I consider you a friend BUT -" that would be softening the blow. Instead it was more like "Morgan, we have a bond that will live forever and you're very special. Melissa, I choose you." Just yank that rug out from underneath her feet!
    Isn't the same Morgan that was the drama queen? Isn't this the same Morgan that almost ruined Kevin's bathing suit design? That was one of the best things that Wendy did this whole show. I give her props for it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast