+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Why I Want Wicked Wendy To Win

  1. #11
    Samantha's Mommy Closet Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    I will say that I think some of the comments here re: Wendy have been unfair. (Of course, that's what we do. ) Blaming her, first of all, for "betraying" Morgan by picking Melissa. What would anyone have done?
    I don't think anyone blamed her for not picking Morgan. After all, as you say, whomever was the last designer would have picked Melissa over Morgan. (In fact, if Wendy had wanted to be particularly evil, she would have picked Morgan to get rid of a favorite model of the other designers (Melissa) and thereby kept the dreaded Morgan around for another episode, and forcing another designer to eliminate her next episode.)

    What a lot of people *did* blame her for was making some sweet affectionate comments towards Morgan, eliminating her, and then in her post mortem interview, turning around and very coldly and calculatingly justifying what she did not by saying "I really regret having to do it, but I didn't want to deal with Morgan's drama" but justifying and rationalizing it by saying I know no one wants to work with her, so I took one for the team. PUHLEASE. Ultimate hypocrisy. Blame it on the other designers, rather than your own preference. And when exactly has Wendy ever done anything for the TEAM as opposed to her own self interests? If you're still trying to be nice to Morgan, just say I picked the model I prefered, why say with such cold calculation "nobody wanted to work with her". How is that being her friend? It was lies, justification and rationalization.

    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I'll give you Kevin, but I do blame her for betraying Morgan just because of the way she treated her on the runway. Here's Morgan, standing in her full slip, listening to Wendy go on about what a special bond they have. She was nodding her head and looking about to cry, then wham! She turns and gives the button to Melissa.

    It was completely unnecessary to lead her on like that. If she had said "it's been great working with you and I consider you a friend BUT -" that would be softening the blow. Instead it was more like "Morgan, we have a bond that will live forever and you're very special. Melissa, I choose you." Just yank that rug out from underneath her feet!
    I'll never make a living as an apologist for Wendy, nor do I hope to, but to be fair, I actually took her comments in a different way. Wendy said "I obviously have a special bond with you dear, and you and I will get past this..." intimating that she was about to cut Morgan. Now maybe in the moment Morgan may have misunderstood what Wendy was saying, but realistically, she came out on that stage KNOWING she would be eliminated. It was in her face when she walked out, especially after Kevin's comment. Just as Olga's face fell when Jay went ahead and picked Julia after her no-show, she knew she was out of the competition, right there and then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    And for attacking the leaderships of Austin and Kevin when put in the spotlight: even Austin seemed to understand her explanation, Kevin was a bad leader. Not to say that she's a real designer or hasn't been completely nasty...
    I give Wendy credit, she was a lot more street smart and savvy than Vanessa was in the first group challenge, even if Vanessa was completely honest. I also admit Kevin was less than a great leader, he really didn't want the leadership role, and he was more than happy to let Kara Saun take charge. I think what people find so objectionable was not that she criticized them and tried to puff herself up in the process, but the WAY she criticized them. She was quite eager to pan her "friend" Austin in the leadership role, without any hesitation. She was even more eager to blast Kevin's leadership without hesitation, at length, quite aggressively, and completely without concession to what he did right. She had also gloated in advance of this that Kevin's leadership wasn't great, but she was quite happy about it because Kevin's leadership role made him more vulnerable, and I personally believe that her criticisms were intended to promote his elimination so she herself got to stay. Everyone else did benefit from him being cut in that they got to stay, but at least from what we saw, and from Wendy's whining about it later on, tried to be more tactful and temperate in their comments, and give him credit for what he did right. They weren't selling their souls, she was hawking her alleged soul right up front, and none too subtly.

  2. #12
    Picture Perfect SnowflakeGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the Limelight
    Posts
    7,348
    I don't think the writer of that article was watching the same show as I was.

    The only reason I'd want Wendy to win at this point is because I now believe Kara and Jay are such great talents & personalities that they don't need this show. But if Wendy wins, I'll be pissed because it will justify all her conniving and deception, and that's not a message I want sent to the public (nor a trend I'd want to see in future seasons).
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

  3. #13
    Retired! hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    in a good place
    Posts
    27,046
    I would be glad to see Wendy win if her designs merited it. From what I've seen of her work on the show, her work won't merit it. She could surprise me, but I saw some of the spoiler pics and, well, I'll stop there.

    I wouldn't want to meet her for brunch, but if she knocks is out of the ballpark and truly earns her win, then so be it.

    I agree that she was right not to pick Morgan, I just think her word choice and manner was cruel. I'm not even sure it was done intentionally. It was a bizarre moment.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

  4. #14
    FORT Fan mariagoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I wouldn't want to meet her for brunch, but if she knocks is out of the ballpark and truly earns her win, then so be it.
    If I honestly thought that Wendy had it in her to make a collection as spectacular as Jay and Kara could, I wouldn't despise the fact that she was in the Final 3 as much. But as a designer, she's nothing but a hired-hand at best and a hack at the very worst.

    BTW, here's a breakdown of a recent NY POST poll of who should win Project Runway:

    Project Runway - Who do YOU think should win?
    44.6 % Kara Saun
    47.9 % Jay McCarroll
    7.6 % Wendy Pepper

    It looks like even NY POST readers don't agree with this delusional writer!

  5. #15
    FORT Fan ManySkills's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    baltimore
    Posts
    315
    For some reason I am really pulling for Wendy.

    Human nature often dictates that the 'different one' becomes outcast from the group over time. Wendy is so different from the others that this outcome was almost inevitable.

    Rather than rant and moan, she embraced her differentness, refusing to doll up for the runway segment, choosing a 'dowdy' design for the post office folks.

    Regarding why Wendy beat Austin to make it into the final 3: Wendy was IN and Austin OUT because, as the 'judges' seem to not realize, she designs for 'real' people, not wafer thin models. The gal (sorry, forget her name) chose the outfit that she could actually see herself wearing.

    As that one guy (don't know his name, he's very impressive person though) said, actually she is very talented and in fact her market is much larger than the other designers.

    Wendy, most of normal, middle America would probably wear your designs, and choose to meet you for lunch, over most of the other designers.

    Just my humble opinion!

  6. #16
    FORT Fan mariagoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    290
    Rather than rant and moan, she embraced her differentness, refusing to doll up for the runway segment, choosing a 'dowdy' design for the post office folks.
    RATHER than rant and moan? So... you missed all the times she was whining about being "left out" and having "no one to take care of me" when the others gave her a justifiably cold shoulder? Or how she often blasted them for being yahoos and idiots and swore that she was going to leave them all in the dust when she won, once and for all?

    I mean, all the other things you said (her being talented, etc.) are all opinions that I respect. But the fact that you said that she DIDN'T rant and moan is just... no. Dude, no. That HAPPENED. It's on TAPE. We all SAW IT.

  7. #17
    Fight Queen corprip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Roeland Park, KS
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,211
    Quote Originally Posted by ManySkills
    As that one guy (don't know his name, he's very impressive person though) said, actually she is very talented and in fact her market is much larger than the other designers.
    I think that was Tim who said that about Wendy. Not that she has a larger market, but she has a broader one. In other words, she has mass appeal.

    By the way, Tim also said Wendy isn't a fashion designer.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

  8. #18
    FORT Fan mariagoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by corprip
    I think that was Tim who said that about Wendy. Not that she has a larger market, but she has a broader one. In other words, she has mass appeal.

    By the way, Tim also said Wendy isn't a fashion designer.
    I think that ManySkills may be talking about the President of Bravo, who said that Wendy really was a talented designer.

    Of course, he had to say that because of widespread fan and media criticism of the fact that she's even IN the final 3. And besides, do you think the president of a television company is actually going to admit that a popular TV show made a stupid decision in deciding who can win its ultimate prize? Of course not. Who knows if Mr.-President-of-Bravo really thinks of Wendy.

  9. #19
    FORT Fan ManySkills's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    baltimore
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by corprip
    I think that was Tim who said that about Wendy. Not that she has a larger market, but she has a broader one. In other words, she has mass appeal.

    By the way, Tim also said Wendy isn't a fashion designer.
    Thanks, corprip, it WAS Tim.

    Isn't he impressive? He has an excellent and immediate grasp of how to improve a given design, has great people skills, an overall excellent sense of authority and respectability.

    I DID miss the part where he said Wendy isn't a fashion designer.

    Somewhere I read that Wendy continues to have a mentor/student relationship with Tim.

  10. #20
    Fight Queen corprip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Roeland Park, KS
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,211
    Yeah, Tim is the bomb. Who wouldn't want Tim to be their daddy?

    Tim's comments regarding Wendy were in a recent article. He said something about her being able to follow a Simplicity pattern, but she's not a designer in the true sense of the word. I think he feels that way because she does require so much direction from the client. The two challenges Wendy won were for very clearly defined sets of guidelines. The Banana Republic challenge practically came with an instruction sheet (choose art deco or my grandmother's closet) and Nancy was very specific with what she was looking for. Wendy deserves her credit for hitting those challenges, but that's about as far as I can go with the compliments.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.