+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changes you would make for Project Runway 2?

Changes you would make for Project Runway 2?

What is it about these Bravo reality shows that suck me in--even when I swear I won't watch them?

OK, so yes, I've watched every episode of Project Runway...and since I'm not the only one, chances are that Bravo will greenlight a second season. I hope some tweaking is done, because the show is entertaining...it isn't perfect.

I'm curious, what changes would you make for Project Runway 2?

I've got a couple of suggestions--and what I realize about my suggestions now that I type them out, is that I'd rather give designers more of a chance to do a good job...and less of the reality show "the clock is ticking" drama.

My suggested tweaks:
    1) More time to actually complete the dress. If the designers want to stay up all night working on their ideas, they should be allowed to... I'd rather see better dresses that express the designer's talent and vision--rather than see something slapped together to beat a rather insane artificially short deadline.

2) Less "twisted" projects. If you want the theme to be "what will be worn in 2055"--then don't force the designers to only shop in a retro store. (Sure, someone who saw Blade Runner might have the brilliant idea to deconstruct retro fashion--but don't force a queenie peg to fit into a square hole.--sorry, an Austin joke there, I apologize.) Sure, if the theme of one challenge (like the grocery store challenge) is to push the designer's own thinking out of their preconceptions...that's fine...but don't combine themes and twists to the point it gets silly.

3) Be clear as to whether someone is being judged on their design...or their body of work...or their personality. I'm not saying that one way or the other is right--I'm saying, be clear about what you have to do in order to remain in the competition.

4) No immunity. It doesn't work. Give the winner's prizes or opportunities...not a free ride through a project

5) Better think out how you want to do "team projects"--or get rid of them. How do you try to win when you're helping another designer do a good job? How do you get a team to work for you when your success hurts their chances? How does acting as someone's seamstress prove that you're a better teammate than someone who has different ideas about how to best meet the challenge? (The George W. Bush question--when your leader is leading you deeper and deeper straight into an uncrossable river, is the right thing to follow your leader loyally...or to criticize the leader's direction, bringing negativity, doubt and a lack of cohesion into a team setting?)

And I worry that the world isn't full of fresh new designers with larger than life personalities just needing some television exposure to make them famous... But that can't be tweaked, can it?

SO...those are my thoughts. Yours?

pg--"sometimes I feel like the only straight guy who watches Bravo"--seattle

FORT Newbie
    6) I don't like that the final 3 could have based solely on the whim of a celebrity guest. That kind of decison is OK earlier in the competition but not to determine the final 3. Once Wendy was in the final 3, I agreed with the decision to eliminate the Austin, but they shouldn't have had to make that decision. Kara and Jay had fewer weaknesses.

5) I agree with you whole heartly on the team competitions whether the leader had a competing time or was just competing with the others. Whoever was chosen team leader in 2055 competition was at a severe disadvantage. If his or her design didn't fit in with the others or wasn't as good the leader was stuck. Also, if the leader didn't spend an inordinate amount of time overseeing the collection to make sure it looked like a collecion, it was also sayonara time. It was just lucky Kara and Jay didn't end up with the added responsibility and no added time.

Don't let Heidi host. She's a model, not a designer, and I can't count how many times I've seen her in a "What Were They Thinking Column?". Michael Kors or Tim would both make amazing hosts.

They should do a menswear challenge or two. Not only would it show the limits of a designer, it would also be nice if I could wear some of the stuff designed too.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

they should just cancel a second season idea and just have a "Inside the life of Jay McCarroll" reality show.
    american idol 1= The traditional pop star is found
    american idol 2= Talent over image
    american idol 3= America is on crack

George Huff was the last man standing, good enough for me!

I agree with pretty much everything you guys have said. Give them more time to make really nice stuff. Don't keep people on the show just for drama!

Quote Originally Posted by corprip
    They should do a menswear challenge or two. Not only would it show the limits of a designer, it would also be nice if I could wear some of the stuff designed too.

They need to keep that immunity part that usually starts the drama. Take in concert everything a designer has done before the elimination, not just the creation of respective week.

Quote Originally Posted by da huffinator
    they should just cancel a second season idea and just have a "Inside the life of Jay McCarroll" reality show.
    That would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip

Good idea, I truly like that, I would also expand it to also maybe designing for children...but then when you think on it how would the models be judged if you weren't using the same models for each competition phase?
    Last edited by DevilTwin; 02-12-2005 at 03:12 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by da huffinator

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast