+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changes you would make for Project Runway 2?

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I agree with a lot that's been said already--especially about the time constraints and the final winner being selected by a "celebrity" (and I use that term loosely--I'd never heard of that Nancy O'Dell person until this show) who had no history with the contestants.

This is what I'd propose: I'd have a 2 phase period show. Start with the 12 contestants, and whittle them down to six. Then, have five or six more challenges, not eliminating anyone, but giving scores. The scores would then cumulate over those weeks, and you'd have your top 3 based on skill and overall performance. That way if you totally suck at one thing challenge, but are otherwise good, you can get to the top. And if you suck almost all the time, but for some reason do well on one challenge, then you don't screw over some other guy who has done consistently better than you.

Also, after shopping today, I'd totally lose Michael Kors. Until now I was o.k. w/his lines but I keep seeing these gawd-awful purple/black/tan faux snakeskin print on stretch fabric pants AT EVERY STORE. They're hideous and I don't know if I can forgive him for the trauma!

Michael Kors has a reputation for being too Park Avenue and not very creative, but I bet he's added a lot of credibility to the show, just having his name there.

I also agree that the designers should be given more time to work on their creations. The short deadlines may add to the drama, but they're a little ridiculous to have in every challenge.

Just for fun, I'd like to see the designers project their designs/image into print ads just once.

FORT Fogey
    That would relaly be fascinating. Have them come up with a concept, set design, styling theme... wooo.

I agree with most of the ideas... especially #1,4, & 5.
    I kind of like the model drama, but the show would lose nothing by eliminating that and instead throwing the designers a wrench by changing models, too. Men for menswear (yummy) kids (I'd love to see Jay dealing with my screaming 4 year old daughter who would refuse to catwalk) and even more yummy, an episode dedicated to designing for the REAL woman. Say, sizes 8-18.
    I also think the final 4 should have been given the challenge, and an outside panel of designers.... let's have fun and say guest judges who are enrolled students at Parsons, throw their 2 cents in on the final four's entire body of work up to that point.
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

xSKATExORxCRYx
    Maybe I am in the minority, but I actually really liked the challenge where they had to make year 2050 clothing from Vintage clothing. I don't think that idea is all that "far-out," especially when many designers are trying to use modern fabrics to replicate older decades. I am all for trying to push the limits, and forcing contestants to be a little more creative.

If it weren't for making one of the contestants the "Leader," that would have been one of my favorite episodes!

Quote Originally Posted by stEEvEEdEE
    Maybe I am in the minority, but I actually really liked the challenge where they had to make year 2050 clothing from Vintage clothing. I don't think that idea is all that "far-out," especially when many designers are trying to use modern fabrics to replicate older decades. I am all for trying to push the limits, and forcing contestants to be a little more creative.

If it weren't for making one of the contestants the "Leader," that would have been one of my favorite episodes!
    My issue with that episode was that there were far too many twists to the challenge. Team challenge, present a collection, theme of the future, only can shop at a retro store, short time frame--all in one.

I agree that one way to tackle a "what will people wear in 2055" is to acknowledge that our concept of "futurism" never really matches up with what we end up wearing. Think about what people in the 1950's thought we'd be wearing today and you'll see what I mean. Certainly, a smart designer would see an opportunity to update a retro look into a futuristic look as one way to express their vision to the theme of "the future"--but other designers might have other visions...and with all of the other twists to this challenge, it seemed rather heavy handed to force them into yet another restriction. (If there wasn't a team/collection challenge, and it was just "the future" theme and shop at retro store--I'd have been less critical of it.)

In general, my suggestions were about allowing us to see more of the creative abilities of the designers--rather than to know if they can sew a hem before midnight.

pg--seattle

PS--and for those of you wanting Jay's own show, just don't let him near Isaac Mizrahi...putting them in the same room might make the universe implode!

PPS--On a serious note, I wouldn't be totally upset if they didn't immediately rush into a season two of Project Runway...if only because there's always the risk of casting too many participants who are trying to beat the show--participants who have seen that being flamboyant or argumentative gets you more screen time, and rather than try to present the best work you can, they waste this opportunity by trying just to win a television game show...which, to me at least, is much less interesting.

Yes, ditch Heidi and bring in a new host. I think Tim would be good, but he doesn't have the name to bring in a lot of viewers. But somebody. Almost anybody would have better charisma than she has.

And I would love it much more than I do now if they stopped focusing so much on the tensions/flirtations/thieveries between the contestants and give us more about the design process - how they each come up with an idea, sketch it, make a pattern, sew, fit, and finish a garmen. That's entertainment. I guess this is a lot to ask of a reality show, but if they could just even out the proportions a bit. . .say 65:35.

And yeah, give them more time. Making a functional/fashionable bathing suit in 3 hours? Might've been dramatic, but of course they could've wowed us better if they'd had more time. I wanna see the awesome finished product, not Jay flipping out because time is slipping away.

More Cutting, Less Cutting UP!

Take me into the lives of these designers, please? Convince me that they have a passion for what they're doing, and not just a passion for starting mess and getting their 15 mins on.

The side modeling competition? Nice twist, underdeveloped this season. Highlight it, but don't run into ANTM territory. Is Heidi helping them? Is anyone helping them? Seems like they're picked, glammed up, displayed, and then dissed. Come on! That's a great storyline to develop.

Bring in a surprise guest model (surely Heidi has model friends?) to be a muse for the designers (or the models) - no more Nancy O'Dell types, please. Nothing against her, but get someone who has credibility in the fashion world. N O'D was an insult to us viewers, and cost us the thrill of seeing the true top 3 in the finals. Do it right, or don't do it at all. No half ass compromises next season!

Tim - who are you, exactly? Go ahead and add some commentary from the column online to the actual SHOW! Save for a couple eps, you've been spot on with the majority of us, the faithful viewers. Adding some snark would be nice.

Heidi - you've been a mannequin thus far. A robotic one, at that - not like the nice one from that Twilight Zone episode. You're the host - act like it and show some emotion. You DO want this gig, right?
    "Blame me if you must, but don't EVER speak ill of the program!"
    - Homer Simpson

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Different judges for every task.

No more Heidi Klum.

DEFINITELY more time for these projects. Very unfair IMO that they have to cram til midnight to finish something.

Men models/designs also.

No "you won last week, so you're safe this week" crap.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Ann Markley: my top model Astridr's Avatar
    I like Heidi.. and was shocked at how she sounded during the show because I thought she's usually alot chirpier and natural than that. I'd say keep Heidi and let her be more relaxed.. maybe the producers told her to take a stern role.

Other than that, the immunity really really bugs me too. It would help to give the winner an advantage in the next challenge, say a bigger budget or more time than the others etc. But definately not immunity.
    I thought the points system was a great idea too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast