+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Episode 9 portfolio

Isn't it funny how when Austin listened to the client (the wedding challenge) everyone hated it and the judges said why did he do exactly what the model wanted.

And this time he didn't do exactly what the client wanted and he failed

I get mixed vibes from the judges sometimes.

Austin's dress would look great on Halle Berry.

Oh well. That's life.

FORT Regular
    While I think Austin is 10 times better than Wendy, he did completely miss the point of the challenge.
    However...its almost embarassing to have someone of so little talent be in while cutting someone like Austin. Its like...what????

Am I the only one who likes Kara's pants?

I think Jay's is my favorite. The judges were right about the cut of the bodice, and I think the asymmetrical bottom of the skirt is a little too angular from the front, but it's the only look that appeals to me at all.

{Nik - Kim for ANTM5} FairytaleDREAMS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soybean
    Am I the only one who likes Kara's pants?
    I like them too

The loose pants give a different look to the outfit because if they were well-fitten then the whole outfit would've looked plain and unoriginal.

Quote Originally Posted by FairytaleDREAMS
    Kara's gown looks very indian to me - the colours and the style.
    A salwar kameez:
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

I agree with Tim in that I really liked that Kara Saun used the top fabric on the bias. I also agree with everyone that the pants were too loose fitting and too long, and I myself don't understand the glitter down the sides. If she absolutely had to have them, I think something like body hugging leggings would have looked better, but Tim was probably right, the top would have been better with nothing at all.

To me, Jay's dress looked like it was more rose or red, not hot pink. Nancy did say red was good, as well as bright colors and purple, so I don't see why the judges took issue with the color per se.

Poor Austin, he just can't win. In the wedding dress challenge, he got criticized before for doing something way way avante garde and letting his client steamroller him into subverting his own style, and here he gets eliminated for doing the exact opposite. I'd believe the producers capable of "organizing" things (and take that any way you like, I wouldn't put anything past reality TV producers) so that Wendy got to the final three so the public had a villainess to loathe. I know Austin didn't listen to the challenge requirements, or perhaps more accurately, he resisted them, just as he resisted the deconstructionist theme for the 2055 challenge, but as GreenGuysMama pointed out, the guy is definitely a couture designer, not a peddler of Walmart mass merchandising shlock.

As for Wendy's dress, it was not only virtually a complete rip off of the top that Nancy was wearing to meet the designers, but as someone pointed out above, and I hadn't really thought about this before (except with respect to all the lacings) its the same old top design that Wendy's used over and over again. Her "envy" bodice is almost identical to her wedding dress, she must have been using pattern pieces over and over again, or she's completely lacking in any imagination or originality. But worse than that, it looks like one of those bikini tank tops that pregnant women wear, and that pear shaped, slightly too long top with more of the stupid ragged hem business made Melissa look like she had way more hips and butt than she does, like she's thick through the middle. Yuck.

That salwar kameez looks pretty funky to me, funky enough for the Grammys IMHO (although Nancy says white doesn't look good on camera), but maybe I wouldn't think that if I'd been exposed to them on a regular basis.

The thing that kills me about that stupid feather skirt is that I have something just like it sitting in my four-year-old's dress-up box. It's pink, not orange, but I bet come Halloween the same feather boa skirt will be back in the costume aisle at Target. (Actually, now that I think about it, my mom found it in the $.99 store.)

ClosetFan is right, that flared waistline looks like a maternity top. She didn't put any style into it, so that it's a very modest A-line, resulting it making the wearer look chunky. And for the love of cheez-its, she put a tail in the back.

I would so have liked to see the three standout designers have their day on the runway. Yes, Austin didn't follow the challenge closely enough, but when you consider the misses that Wendy has had, both in design and execution, it's an outrage. Only Wendy could have "designed" those Postal Service shorts that made the 16-year-old model look chunky. That took talent, and not the kind that should be rewarded.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

ClosetFan is right, that flared waistline looks like a maternity top. She didn't put any style into it, so that it's a very modest A-line, resulting it making the wearer look chunky.
    When I first saw the top, it reminded me of maternity clothing. Not only that, the model does, indeed, look pregnant.

As far as the skirt, since when is minor "tweaking" removing the hideous feathers and basically making a new skirt? And don't forget all the help and ideas she got from Tim during the contest! I can't believe that she won that challenge with that outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    The thing that kills me about that stupid feather skirt is that I have something just like it sitting in my four-year-old's dress-up box. It's pink, not orange, but I bet come Halloween the same feather boa skirt will be back in the costume aisle at Target. (Actually, now that I think about it, my mom found it in the $.99 store.)
    Aha! So now we REALLY know where she stole the rest of the design from ... a children's halloween costume. She *does* have a five year old daughter. . .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast