+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Fashion Week ***MAJOR SPOILERS***

Yea, Jay and Banana Republic might not get along creatively. BR and Wendy, yes, BR and Kara Saun, yes, but BR and Jay will be a stretch. But maybe he'll shake up BR and push them in a new, hipper direction.
    "The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars."

Peter Diamandis, X Prize Founder

FORT Fogey
    I went back and went over the collections again... First of all, I have to say that Kara's is the best and if she doesn't win I'd be shocked. Jay's collection is good, but despite the headphones its totally devoid of continuity. Kara's and Austins are both identifiably 'together' (although Austin's collection is total rubbish.) Out of Wendy's design, I like the corsety thing that they put Melissa in - but other than that she sucks.

I still can't get over Annn s

I posted this in the thread from last night but I totally think Jay should win and that Bravo should give him his own show and follow him through starting his own line etc. I can really see some of his skirts or tops at BR. Plus he just has the personality to sparkle at events and promotional stuff. Kara Saun is a little too soft spoken. Jay is just a star and if TPTB are smart they will continue to make him one.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Love
    I posted this in the thread from last night but I totally think Jay should win and that Bravo should give him his own show and follow him through starting his own line etc. I can really see some of his skirts or tops at BR. Plus he just has the personality to sparkle at events and promotional stuff. Kara Saun is a little too soft spoken. Jay is just a star and if TPTB are smart they will continue to make him one.
    OMG WHAT A BRILLIANT IDEA!

And just to make it fun, they should somehow fit some of the other PR people in, like Austin or Mario.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Thanks Corprip.
    I think they could definately work in some of the other PR folks. What if Austin and Jay decided to set up shop together in NY or if Jay calls on Kara Saun for help or advise.
    Could totally work. Jay and Austin the really really really odd couple.

Personally, I didn't like Austin's collection overall. All of the "too costumey" criticism the judges have been slapping him with have just been going in one ear and out the other, frankly speaking. All of his two-piece outfits look like something from a roadshow version of Paul Revere's Ride. And his velvet dresses are just... things that Scarlette O'Hara herself would reject as being outre. He really let me down with his runway showings... though no doubt, he wasn't given as much time and money as the 3 finalists were to produce his show.

However, the dress below is just *gorgeous* and so beautifully fitted on the model! And the metallic earth color makes it so current, unlike all of his other stuff. I want it very much!

This isn't exactly the surprise of the century... but I completey *hated* Wendy's collection! Wendy wasn't joking when she talked about how out-of-touch she is with popular culture... why else would there be so much crushed velvet and Scottish plaid in her collection? She had a few interesting/retro ideas in there (especially with the Fuschia Tippi Hedren dress), but even those were bungled up by Wendy's trademark bad tailoring: unflattering fits, puffy seams and unfinished collars were the rule of the day.

The dress below is probably her most stand-out creation (hence the reason why Melissa-- Wendy's favorite model-- is walking in it) but it too suffers from very bad tailoring. Look how Melissa's boobs look so squashed and pinched in the bodice! And the skirt is just so unnecessarily shiny and cheap-looking. She couldn't afford more subtle fabric?

Darling Jay definitely had the most contemporary and interesting of collections. I love the way his "Stereotype" collection incorporated layers and layers of clothing to make up a look that can become fit to wear on the street or on the catwalk based on how much (or how little) of it you wear. I can easiily picture wearing some of his clothes to college everyday, while others would serve wonderfully at a rave or a ball. Versatile, hip and throughly recognizable... that's Jay!

The outfit below is my favorite. I love how Jay incorporates his trademark circles into the design, and how beautifully the olive, brown and black colors and clothes play off of each other. I think I would literally do ANYTHING or ANYONE to have it!

Kara Saun sadly disappointed me with her "Fantasy Flygirl" collection. She's wonderful, of course, and I don't think even Jay can match her as far as sheer tailoring skill goes... and she has the quintissential magic touch with leather! Still, I feel too much of her collection was the same-old same-old we've seen again and again... same old to-the-knees hemline, same old plunging-down-to-the-naval collar.

There is still no doubt that her collection has some of the most beautiful coats I've seen so far from Fall 2005, however!

Last edited by mariagoner; 02-17-2005 at 07:40 PM.

Great post, mariagoner.
    I agree about that one dress of Austin's being rather cute.

... I'll also admit that I don't hate this look,
    costume-y as it is. (And I've never been an Austin fan.)

I think this was my favorite look in Jay's collection,
    excluding the furry Kate Moss monster boots, not pictured.

Wendy: The lining...

A better picture of Ann in Kara Saun
    & without the obnoxious tag

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    Great post, mariagoner.
    I agree about that one dress of Austin's being rather cute.

... I'll also admit that I don't hate this look,
    costume-y as it is. (And I've never been an Austin fan.)
    If you paired that blouse up with a nice pencil skirt or something equally modern, it wouldn't be quite so cloyingly old-fashioned. The pants though... eh. Red crushed velvet? Mon dieu!

And thanks for the compliment!

I think this was my favorite look in Jay's collection,
    excluding the furry Kate Moss monster boots, not pictured.
    I LOVED THAT OUTFIT TOO! Jay has been doing some crazy-sexy variations of the skirt he made for Nancy O'Dell lately, and even though my legs are kinda too short to look that great in them-- I WANTS IT MY PRECIOUS!

Wendy: The lining...
    Even when Wendy has a hint of a good idea-- like a sleek red leather (?) jacket-- she fugs it up with obnoxious details-- like that ugly leapard skin lining. And that FRILLY, crushed red velvet (again! why God?!) shirt underneath is is vomitious.

I watched the Fashion Week pictures a couple of times, and I have to say that, while Austin's collection is a little costumey, we all have to remember what others have said already. He basically recycled a lot of stuff, and didn't have the time and/or resources. His work looks uneven at best. Some of it is just gorgeous (there's a little dress covered in light fabric, kind of following the idea of the bathing suit, that I think is to die for. I wish I could post the picture) and some of it too theatrical. But everything is beautifully finished. He's only 23 or 24. He can grow into someone truly spectacular. But I think he is going to be one of these designers you either love or hate. And Tim, when criticizing him for being too one note, said that that worked for people like Schiaparelli. Hey, if that is his model, he could do way worse. I also think that the judges expected Kara Saun to win the final challenge, but she didn't deliver. If she had, I have a feeling Wendy would have not made final three. Watch the show again and see how Nina Garcia looks away from la O'Dell after she says she liked skunk head's design. She looked positively disgusted. Finally, I thought Kara Saun was going to win because of her consistency and her personality were a good fit for BR, but now that it turns out the winner is not actually going to work with BR on a regular basis, I think Jay might take it all. His stuff (and Julia) will make for a fabulous spread in Elle. I might break my vow and watch the final show after all. It seems that Kara Saun really tells the evil one off. But I'll wait for the rerun, because if Wendy wins (it could happen) I might throw a Farragamo pump at the TV.

Who is actually going to pick the winner? The producers, the panel, the buyers, the attendees at the show, not the public?????????????

I will differ from the popular oppinion here and say that I think Wendy's pieces are the most wearable. Not high fashion mind you but they could easily sell in Dillard's, Macy's, etc. I'm a 40 something woman so that's where I'm coming from of course. If I were a teen or twenty-something, I'd go with Jay. I think Kara Saun's collection would do well with the Rodeo Drive set. Very expensive with all the fur (not to mention those without a conscience). The general public doesn't wear too many dead animals except for leather. So for my prediction of a winner ................... Jay. I think the panel and the buyers are all focused on the 20-something buyers even though it's really the 30-40 year old women who spend the most money. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    "The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars."

Peter Diamandis, X Prize Founder

+ Reply to Thread