+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Fashion Week ***MAJOR SPOILERS***

Quote Originally Posted by mariagoner
    On the other hand, the Pepper probably had thousands of dollars and several months to come up with outfits... and she ends up with several dresses that look like cast-off from some girl group of the 80s. She's the real loser here... especially when her "collection" is exposed to the judges of PR and ridiculed relentlessly!
    Not only that, I only looked at a couple of her "creations", one of which was not only completely unoriginal but ugly to boot, but at least one or two others "hung" wrong on the model, they looked like at least some of the pieces had been cut on the wrong fabric grain (for those who don't sew, this means that the pattern piece will not hang quite right, it will pull in an unnatural direction or sag when it shouldn't) or that the distribution of fabric across the seams was wrong. One of the reviewers even mentioned a visible safety pin on her collection, as well as Austin's.

Quote Originally Posted by mariagoner
    Austin is capable of being better than Wendy by spades and spades! His collection during Fashion Week was probably only so poor because he didn't get the time OR the resources to make fabulous new outfits for the show.
    You are probably 100% correct about that, but still, I wasn't thrilled with the theme of his collection. One reviewer put it this way: does Austin really think women would enjoy wearing tricorn hats? It seems odd that he chose to emulate period clothing, especially when his main criticism was for being too costumey.

I loved Austin's grammy dress, and it still ticks me off that Nancy O'dell said that all it needed was to have the skirt pulled back and she would have loved it. That's a pretty minor tweak compared to having to find a completely different skirt from the feathers. Forgive me, I'm still mad.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    You are probably 100% correct about that, but still, I wasn't thrilled with the theme of his collection. One reviewer put it this way: does Austin really think women would enjoy wearing tricorn hats? It seems odd that he chose to emulate period clothing, especially when his main criticism was for being too costumey.

I loved Austin's grammy dress, and it still ticks me off that Nancy O'dell said that all it needed was to have the skirt pulled back and she would have loved it. That's a pretty minor tweak compared to having to find a completely different skirt from the feathers. Forgive me, I'm still mad.

Hepcat I agree with you. As I said in another thread Wendy's outfit look like something you would find in your closet in a last minute rush. The Wendy's outfit looked like what Nancy O'dell wore when she meet them in the design room, so to me there was nothing really original about what Wendy created. I really loved Austin's dress. IMO Nancy O'dell has no taste. :phhht

I just watched the last episode, and it made this Austin collection even more disappointing. Nothing to do with time, budget, etc.: After half a year, he still hasn't listened, and his designs are more costume-y than ever. I don't think he should have to compromise his vision, but I wonder if he would be better off staying on the stage or going into movies. This show might lead to some good opportunities there.

Particularly maddening when you consider that the top part of Wendy's dress (which to me looked like one of those maternity tent dresses, BTW) was a virtually complete rip-off of the top that Nancy was wearing to meet the designers, so she could have worn the top she already had with a different skirt and basically gotten the same effect.

She'd better keep her word and let Austin design her Oscar dress or I'm going to start a letter writing campaign.

Was that an oral contract enforceable by law? We had offer, acceptance, and clear documentation, but I'm not so sure about the mutual assent... (I didn't like Austin's Grammy dress, either, by the way.)

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    I just watched the last episode, and it made this Austin collection even more disappointing. Nothing to do with time, budget, etc.: After half a year, he still hasn't listened, and his designs are more costume-y than ever.
    Actually, I hd already seen his red dress before and another one of the outfits was like the one in his portfolio. I think they just told him to add a couple of pieces or something. It was the red dress that made me realize he was out since it had appeared before.
    Anyway, we wont know how much time and assistance he had for Fashion Week until after the show is and done and when/if somebody asks in an interview.
    Until then its all just wondering.

I haven't seen Austin's yet, but I did see one big designer (sorry, the name escapes me) whose collection featured models in 1920's style aviator's goggles, and pants and jackets that had nothing feminine at all about them but looked just like the suits old men wore to church in the early 1960's; if I had to choose and actually wear either in public, I'd take the tricorn over the bombers cap and glasses any day!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Well, watching Project Runway as well as ANTM has proven one thing to me: the judges will find any rationale for eliminating whomever they want to, and there's no consistency, no way for the contestants often to avoid it. Nora got eliminated for catering too much to her client and not putting enough Nora into her wedding dress, Austin got panned during the wedding dress challenge for caving in to his client too much, he holds his ground in this challenge, and bingo, he gets the ax.

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    Was that an oral contract enforceable by law? We had offer, acceptance, and clear documentation, but I'm not so sure about the mutual assent... (I didn't like Austin's Grammy dress, either, by the way.)
    Ah, well, if you want to get technical, she asked him if he would design her Oscars dress, she didn't promise to wear it...
    Last edited by Closet Fan; 02-12-2005 at 06:09 PM.

Overheard At ‘Project Runway’

This is from good ol' Gwaker Media.

Overheard At ‘Project Runway’

While we’re waiting for the February 23rd finale of Bravo’s Project Runway, we thought we’d dangle a possible spoiler-on-a-stick in front of your hungry mouths. After the series’ winner was decided during a hush-hush fashion show last week, a Gawker operative, firmly planted backstage, overheard “wild card” finalist Jay utter the following choice tidbit:

“I just don’t want to be creatively raped, you know?”

Hmm. What an interesting comment, given that the winner of Project Runway receives a mentorship from Banana Republic. We’re just sayin’.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

+ Reply to Thread