+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Fashion Week ***MAJOR SPOILERS***

Quote Originally Posted by TuckernOtis
    Who is actually going to pick the winner? The producers, the panel, the buyers, the attendees at the show, not the public?????????????

I will differ from the popular oppinion here and say that I think Wendy's pieces are the most wearable. Not high fashion mind you but they could easily sell in Dillard's, Macy's, etc. I'm a 40 something woman so that's where I'm coming from of course. If I were a teen or twenty-something, I'd go with Jay. I think Kara Saun's collection would do well with the Rodeo Drive set. Very expensive with all the fur (not to mention those without a conscience). The general public doesn't wear too many dead animals except for leather. So for my prediction of a winner ................... Jay. I think the panel and the buyers are all focused on the 20-something buyers even though it's really the 30-40 year old women who spend the most money. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Sadly, you may indeed be right. There are a lot of nouveu riche debutantes and matrons out there who carry all of their taste in their mouth.

Of course, Wendy may have still shot herself in the foot with her bitchy, self-righteous attitude towards all the other designers on the show. I know she has her fans-- but most people who know OF her dislike her. I don't see her having too many buyers based on this show.

As Wendy herself said in the second "Envy" task... jealousy can really come back to bite a person in the ass!

Project Runway...On Sat. Nite Live

It was hysterical...........I have a coule of screen scaps @ my blog

http://thecoolstore.blogspot.com/
    ciao!manhattan

Quote Originally Posted by TuckernOtis
    I will differ from the popular oppinion here and say that I think Wendy's pieces are the most wearable. Not high fashion mind you but they could easily sell in Dillard's, Macy's, etc. I'm a 40 something woman so that's where I'm coming from of course. If I were a teen or twenty-something, I'd go with Jay. I think Kara Saun's collection would do well with the Rodeo Drive set. Very expensive with all the fur (not to mention those without a conscience). The general public doesn't wear too many dead animals except for leather. So for my prediction of a winner ................... Jay. I think the panel and the buyers are all focused on the 20-something buyers even though it's really the 30-40 year old women who spend the most money. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    I think you're hitting the nail on the head. Each of these designers has their own audience. Wendy herself said in a recent quote - something about the last 3 designers representing a nice cross-section of the design market.

I find it interesting that the 2 challenges Wendy won were for 'real people' (Banana Republic and Nancy Odell), versus whims of the judges. Of all of the outfits, who really would wear those Kara Saun plunging necklines?

And, sorry guys, Austins foo-foo dress for the Grammy competition would only be worn by large-eyed teenage girls, IMHOP.

Wendy's creations appeal to the demographic with the most money. I think I heard she's starting a Wendy Pepper store. I actually think as a chain it could take off.

I would visit it.

There is no way in hell Parker Posey would embrace the Cruella de Pepper look. All this speculation of why Wendy might win (Wendy, give it up) is wishful thinking. Her stuff looks like the wardrobe of Stepford Wives, not fashion I expect to see in Bergdorf's any time soon.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by ManySkills
    I find it interesting that the 2 challenges Wendy won were for 'real people' (Banana Republic and Nancy Odell), versus whims of the judges. Of all of the outfits, who really would wear those Kara Saun plunging necklines?
    Well, one could also point out that she won those two challenges, especially the last one, not because her own design was the most marvellous thing to come down the pike, but because it was the least objectionable, because the other designers missed the mark a little bit, or in some cases, a lot. The first challenge, Austin's and Jay's dresses were too complicated to mass produce at a reasonable price point, Kara Saun's had ruffles in unflattering places, some had skirt slits that went too high, some had plunging necklines. Starr's was just plain bizarre. She won because the occassion called for mediocrity and lack of creativity. Nancy O'dell chose her dress because it was the LEAST OBJECTIONABLE and it was tweaked quite extensively. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by Closet Fan
    Well, one could also point out that she won those two challenges, especially the last one, not because her own design was the most marvellous thing to come down the pike, but because it was the least objectionable, because the other designers missed the mark a little bit, or in some cases, a lot. The first challenge, Austin's and Jay's dresses were too complicated to mass produce at a reasonable price point, Kara Saun's had ruffles in unflattering places, some had skirt slits that went too high, some had plunging necklines. Starr's was just plain bizarre. She won because the occassion called for mediocrity and lack of creativity. Nancy O'dell chose her dress because it was the LEAST OBJECTIONABLE and it was tweaked quite extensively. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
    WORD!

Wendy only won twice because the other designers stumbled at those points (the Grammy dress challenge) OR created work that was actually TOO GOOD for mass marketing (the Banana Republic challenge.)

She's only good for peddling out mediocrity as far as I'm concerned. There's definitely a market for that in America, but given how badly she's tarnished her public reputation at this point, I doubt she'll find any backers if she wants to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Closet Fan
    She won because the occassion called for mediocrity and lack of creativity.
    I don't think there's a disagreement here. Haven't you just defined the mass market?

I see where you're coming from, ManySkills. However, I think Wendy's garmets are often poorly constructed, and no one wants that. I also don't think this competition is looking for a mass market designer. I think it's looking for someone who can do high-end ready-to-wear down to Banana Republic. That's Kara Saun or Jay, though some may consider Jay too focused. I actually find Jay's clothes the most wearable, but I'm a university student and come from places where people aren't afraid to experiment with their wardrobes.

FORT Fogey
    I'd wear Jay's at my age, Kara's when I'm 30, Austin's when I time-travel, and I probably would never wear Wendy's...

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    I don't think there's a disagreement here. Haven't you just defined the mass market?
    True, true. But there are plenty of mediocre, untalented designers out there who HAVEN'T earned a reputation for ill constructed garments, haven't had their collection panned in the fashion press, and who haven't earned a rather widespread and almost universal reputation as a loathesome backstabbing untalented b!tch to the point where people are selling t-shirts about the aforementioned cockroach.

There's plenty of *anonymous* untalented mediocrities out there to choose from.

+ Reply to Thread