+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Episode 1/26/05: In the Future, Hazmat is Sexy

Wump, here it is! Outstanding recap, Hepcat! . I think someone is a huge sci-fi fan. As always, I could have quoted the entire recap.

Robert, in turn, rattles off the obvious, that if six are remaining, and only three will do the final show, then the next few challenges will be difficult. Hooray for math!

Forget six-to-one, it’s more like sixty-to-one she’ll show, much less place.

The Challenge: Future Imperfect

Yes, this weeks challenge is to design clothes that will be popular in 2055. *yawn* Fifty years from now I’ll be living in my flannel bathrobe, so what do I care?

. . . Jabba the - huh? What’s that? Not sci-fans, are you? Okay then, let’s get back to our designers.

Will the world have ended? That could pose some difficulties, I suppose.

I get it now. That means the sand people on Tattooine were in sequined evening gowns under their protective robes! It gives you a whole new understanding of Lucas’s great epic.

Frankly, the Judy Jetson look is starting to sound like a couture classic about now.

In the future, we’ll be wearing copper and peach power suits, it seems.

In the year 2055, there will be no coffee - at least, that’s what Robert predicts. (Note to self: commit suicide on 12/31/2054.)

everyone knows that by 2055 we’ll have microchips implanted at the base of our skull that will be connected into the worldwide interweb instanet making cellphones, palm pilots and ipods unnecessary.

Wendy explains her belt idea to Kevin, and soon the two are giggling and clasping hands like an old couple at a screening of Coccoon.

Tell it to the pod, judge!

And we musn’t forget the black patches on the shoulders, which we are pretending are solar panels.

Look for it at your local Der Wienerschnitzel in about fifty years.

If only he had cracked the whip and made those designers sew their pods.

Can you hear me Major Tom?

In the year 2055, there will be no coffee - at least, that’s what Robert predicts. (Note to self: commit suicide on 12/31/2054.)
    Amen.

Which is stupid, because everyone knows that by 2055 we’ll have microchips implanted at the base of our skull that will be connected into the worldwide interweb instanet making cellphones, palm pilots and ipods unnecessary.
    At the place I used to work, there were actually people drafting microchips to be implanted in the wrist that could work as credit cards among other purposes. Isn't that the worst, most financially dangerous idea ever?

Fabulous recap.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    At the place I used to work, there were actually people drafting microchips to be implanted in the wrist that could work as credit cards among other purposes. Isn't that the worst, most financially dangerous idea ever?
    Well, for one, it would make for tricky work of freezing the chip into a block of ice. Itd be even trickier picking the ice off!

Great recap as always, Hep! I don't post often, but I enjoy reading.

I'd like to add a couple of nit picky notes here. Tim Gunn mentioned "Blade Runner", which happens to be my favorite movie. Although it is futuristic, it's only set in the year 2017; not really that far distant from today. No where near 2055.

And the fashions, not to mention sets, in "Bladie" are unique and set a new standard for sci fi films. Blade Runner has been often imitated, but never equalled. The character which Sean Young plays, the beautiful replicant Rachael, wears gorgeous costumes that are part 40's film noir and part 2017. She wears beautiful fitted, tailored suits and coats with large, sometime fur-trimmed hoods. Her clothes are exquisitely tailored. Her shoes are pure '40's with thicker high heels and higher throats to the shoe. Even her hair styles hark to the forties.

Anyway, decades after Bladie was released, the costumes have continued to exert an influence. I won't even go into its cinematic influence, which has been incredible and is a whole 'nother story.

If I were one of the designers and Mr. Gunn said "Blade Runner" to me, I would know what direction I'd be going in. And it wouldn't have been deconstruction; it would have been into ultra re-construction. After all, when all else has been deconstructed (in some future dystopia), humans will always turn to intense reconstruction, not submit to further deconstruction. That is our nature; to bring order where there is none.

As usual, I'm late to the par-tay (I catch the repeat), but a fabulous recap, Hep. Loved your little digs at the contestants. I'll be right next to you when the coffee runs out.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

My favorite parts have already been mentioned, so let me just say bravo.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I have an hunch she doesn’t know the nickname some web designer has given her on the show’s website - “The Longshot.” Forget six-to-one, it’s more like sixty-to-one she’ll show, much less place.

Morgan seems to reciprocate the emotion, but Wendy turns abruptly and hands her clown button to Melissa. What? That seemed unnecessarily cruel. Maybe Above and Beyond is a seedy bar in Indianapolis, I don’t know.

Yes, this weeks challenge is to design clothes that will be popular in 2055. *yawn* Fifty years from now I’ll be living in my flannel bathrobe, so what do I care?

He’s on a roll, so why not continue with another Jay-ism: “This project sucks my ass[bleep] from the inside out.” All over America, slang transcriptionists are busily scribbling away, recording that gem for posterity.

Kevin’s “uniform” ends several inches above the knee; in other words, barely an inch below the crotch.

Jay’s dress has a very high neckline - like, above the chin.

Just like that, Wendy is in, Kevin is out. At least he got to kiss a supermodel on both cheeks before hitting the pavement.
    I'm late reading the recap but as always, excellent and hilarious recap Hep.

Ground control to Heppy San,

Why did I read your recaps out of order, you ask? Why, because I watched the shows out of order. But I am so glad that I did, because I absolutely adored this recap. It's a sci-fi laugh-a-thon that's out of this world! Absolutely golden job, you brilliant thing!

Quote Originally Posted by heppylicious
    I have an hunch she doesn’t know the nickname some web designer has given her on the show’s website - “The Longshot.”

Every design challenge needs a theme, and fashion is forward looking, so why not design clothes...*cue ominous Flash Gordon voice* of the FUTURE? *future future future* Yes, this weeks challenge is to design clothes that will be popular in 2055. *yawn* Fifty years from now I’ll be living in my flannel bathrobe, so what do I care? A myriad of science fiction movies are swimming in my brain, and I can’t think of one that had great fashion. Queen Amadala is the only one who even gave it a stab.

The group brainstorms about the future. Will the world have ended? That could pose some difficulties, I suppose.

I do wonder where he found flexible fabric solar panels in a vintage clothing shop. Especially ones that provide power to the wearer, not to the wearer’s ipod.

Wendy is designing daywear...of the - yeah, you know it, dear soul.

Wendy explains her belt idea to Kevin, and soon the two are giggling and clasping hands like an old couple at a screening of Coccoon.

“No one’s going to be laughing tomorrow when someone’s out,” Kara Saun reminds them, bringing the room down with a crash. She’s a hit at parties.

Look for it at your local Der Wienerschnitzel in about fifty years.

Can you hear me Major Tom? If so, write hepcat@fansofrealitytv.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12