+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 1/5 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by corprip
    While Nora was absolutely out of control, Vanessa wasn't perfect. If Austin knew how much Vanessa was trying to edit his design behind his back, he wouldn't have needed to use her sewing as an excuse to get rid of her.
    Agreed, but that's the difference. Vanessa's actions were done behind Austin's back. Nora had her meltdown in front of everyone. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by turntotheleft
    This episode pissed me off to no end. I don't need my beloved Project Runway to turn into The Apprentice Season 2.

I loved this show previously for making eliminations based on design and execution - I hate to say it but the designer with the weakest dress should have been the one to go. If "collaboration" must be the challenge, with everyone vulnerable but only three designing, then the weakest team player FROM ANY TEAM should get the heave-ho. We all know who that was.

Instead, Vanessa goes home for assessing that she's a slow sewer, when that team worked well together and had no problem executing Austin's vision. She just happened to be on the losing team through no fault of her own. We're meant to think, from the convuluted runway segment, that she would have stayed if she'd found some fault in someone else. That's not "selling yourself" it's "selling someone else out" and it's nothing but the worst kind of reality tv baloney in this case. The reason that team lost is because the Cyndi Lauper-wannabe didn't like Austin's dress, it had nothing to do with a weak link in his team.

Thoroughly disgusted.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    Why? Nora's young, but she has already has an identifiable style, and I like how conceptual she is. Her lawn chair dress was amazing; I personally liked the second piece, too, elegant and interesting. Vanessa is not memorable to me. Not to mention, she can't sew.
    I'm not talking style, or even sewing ability. If the criterion for this challenge really was being able to work together as part of a design team, and in some cases as a subordinate within that design team, Vanessa was somewhat lacking because of her relatively poor sewing skills, and her dislike of Austin's design (but then again Wendy expressed much the same sentiment, albeit a little more tactfully). But Nora clearly WAS NOT a good subordinate, she argued with Kevin (doesn't matter if she didn't like it, she didn't agree with it, she thought his approach wouldn't get done in time, she's a subordinate, you have to do as you're told, regardless), after either she or Alessandra misplaced the pattern piece, they wasted too much time looking around for it and making comments about misappropriation instead of just replacing it, she got emotionally overwrought over a fairly innocuous comment from Kara Saun, stopped working, and distracted her team members. Oh, and let's not forget she actually stomped out at one point. It was an unprofessional enough display that it was apparently reported to Tim and he admonished the designers about not doing such things on the runway.

THAT'S what I'm referring to, not her design abilities or sense of style.

Jay's "French prostitutes in the future" idea cracked me up, but I liked his finished design the best. Austin (what a sensitive fellow) seems to gather too much of his inspiration from the Disney versions of fairy tales. I thought the winning hot pink number was the worst: rather tacky and represented an unoriginal "rock star" style.
    Yeah, his color choices were right out of Alice in Wonderland, but then again, I've known someone who actually did research on the issue, and the Disney cartoonists often lift their choice of colors and even designs of outfits for their characters from old illustrations included in the original stories, so there is a chance his inspiration may have actually been from historical drawings, not that it matters -- regardless of the colors, for that particular client, the outfit was too much Bo Peep and too little "beastmaster".

How appropriate was the "I'm a girl on the verge of a nervous breakdown" song in this episode for both Nora and (according to my little brother) ... Austin?

Wasn't Betsey Johnson supposed to be a judge, or is my mind playing tricks on me?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the judges have to take the big picture into account. You can't lose a better overall designer, just because she is weak in one area. (Interpersonal skills are not to be undervalued, but I think talent is usually a more important factor. "Artists" are almost expected to be volatile.) Didn't Alexandra think Kevin was the weakest link, anyway?

It was not actually Vanessa I wanted to go, but Wendy, if only because she gives me the creeps. But I actually think her strategizing unwillingness to contribute was worse for a group dynamic than Nora's drama or Vanessa's sewing. Maybe if she hadn't been silent, her group would not have had the "out" design.

Yes, but Wendy probably didn't care that her team's design was "out", only that she herself was still "in". She herself said that she was trying to figure out how best to conduct herself so that she survived. That is the name of the game, after all, although I don't think she was strategizing particularly well in the "name which of your team is the weak link" when she named Austin as the weak link. Admittedly, it would be in her own best interest to have the most serious competitor eliminated, but they had no idea whether the team leader really would be selecting the team member to go, or whether the judges would take the team leader's recommendation, so she might have been making herself a target by alienating him.

Quote Originally Posted by Closet Fan
    Yes, but Wendy probably didn't care that her team's design was "out", only that she herself was still "in". She herself said that she was trying to figure out how best to conduct herself so that she survived. That is the name of the game, after all, although I don't think she was strategizing particularly well in the "name which of your team is the weak link" when she named Austin as the weak link. Admittedly, it would be in her own best interest to have the most serious competitor eliminated, but they had no idea whether the team leader really would be selecting the team member to go, or whether the judges would take the team leader's recommendation, so she might have been making herself a target by alienating him.
    Well, in defense of Wendy.... was the challenge Teamwork or Collaboration? I make a distinction in that Wendy was upset with Vanessa for trying to "improve" upon the winning designer's vision. She stayed silent, IMHO, because it was not her job to interpret what Austin was trying to do. I'm sure that she disagreed with Austin's design, and she was upset at Venessa for trying to "fix" it, so the wisest course it to keep her yap shut.
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

Quote Originally Posted by turntotheleft
    This episode pissed me off to no end. I don't need my beloved Project Runway to turn into The Apprentice Season 2.

I loved this show previously for making eliminations based on design and execution - I hate to say it but the designer with the weakest dress should have been the one to go. If "collaboration" must be the challenge, with everyone vulnerable but only three designing, then the weakest team player FROM ANY TEAM should get the heave-ho. We all know who that was.

Instead, Vanessa goes home for assessing that she's a slow sewer, when that team worked well together and had no problem executing Austin's vision. She just happened to be on the losing team through no fault of her own. We're meant to think, from the convuluted runway segment, that she would have stayed if she'd found some fault in someone else. That's not "selling yourself" it's "selling someone else out" and it's nothing but the worst kind of reality tv baloney in this case. The reason that team lost is because the Cyndi Lauper-wannabe didn't like Austin's dress, it had nothing to do with a weak link in his team.

Thoroughly disgusted.
    I agree, it definitely had an Apprentice feel to it and it was by far the worst of the four episodes. I hope it's back to normal next week and judging by the previews, it is. I thought this weeks episode was boring and I didn't like the reasons for elimination, the show is looking for a fashion designer and it should base its eliminations on designs alone, it's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by LATAS
    Well, in defense of Wendy.... was the challenge Teamwork or Collaboration? I make a distinction in that Wendy was upset with Vanessa for trying to "improve" upon the winning designer's vision. She stayed silent, IMHO, because it was not her job to interpret what Austin was trying to do. I'm sure that she disagreed with Austin's design, and she was upset at Venessa for trying to "fix" it, so the wisest course it to keep her yap shut.
    I might subscribe to this very nice and generous theory if 1) Austin hadn't been begging for her input; 2) We didn't already know Wendy's basic personality. But maybe this is just my hatin', because no one in the group chose Wendy as the weakest member.

I didn't like the whole collaboration thing at all. I thought it ruined the elimination process, but it did make for some fine drama. What did Nora say? "If she were in this situation, she wouldn't want to hear a Broadway musical about it..."

The viewer vote is: Jay 4.5, Austin 2.9, Kevin 2.6 right now. Best performance piece and most flattering on the artist or not, Kevin's design is just uuuuugly.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I really thought that Vanessa should have nominated Wendy for exactly the reason that she didn't give any input to the collaborative process. She was really just a seamstress/worker.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456