+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Wendy Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by mskylie
    I hope she is not being kept on the show (ahead of much more deserving designers) for ratings. After all, how many of us watch the show just waiting for Wendy to do something to make us hate her more?
    I watch this show for one person only, and it is not Wendy.

(She's definitely part of the ratings dynamics though. Her histrionics have staying power.)
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

I'm no fan of Wendy's personality (I can't imagine what it would be like to be her child or spouse). :rolleyes But I did like her Grammy outfit--great color and nice frill on the bottom. It was appropriate, too. She chose a similar color for her bathing suit, which I also liked. Tim, on the Project Runway Web site, said that Wendy does better when she has clear direction with restricted parameters from a client--like Nancy O'Dell or Banana Republic. This does not bode well for Wendy in Fashinon Week, when she will get no such direction, I assume.

Just wanted to say... if you look at most of the stuff Wendy has done for Project Runway over and over again, it's just blends into this ugly, homogenous, ruched-squishy-boob-top and assymetrically-hemmed mess. (Hell, even her CANDY BIKINI had a assymetrical hemm! Can she even cut straight?!)

Wendy doesn't have an ounce of the creativity that Jay has, or even half of technical skills that Kara Saun wields.

Last edited by hepcat; 02-10-2005 at 08:17 PM.

Oh, God, the envy dress....the puffy hems on nearly all of them...

It's mind-boggling. Just because Nancy O'Dell likes orange she gets a pass into the final? There should have been some consideration for their overall performance.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Oh, God, the envy dress....the puffy hems on nearly all of them...

It's mind-boggling. Just because Nancy O'Dell likes orange she gets a pass into the final? There should have been some consideration for their overall performance.
    I agree with you. For the final challenge, they should only have regular judges who know the most about the designers and their abilities. ANTM uses this format, and I think it is the most fair for the contestants. Wendy really doesn't deserve to make the final three simply because her final dress was preferred by the guest judge.
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

I wish these kinds of shows would treat it like an ongoing competition. Keep all the contestants for eight or ten weeks, let everyone participate in everything. Sure, you can have a weekly ranking, but we would get to see everyone perform several different challenges. Then announce the ranking at the end. That would be so much better than the stupid boot 'em out every week system we're stuck with simply because other reality shows do it that way.

I wish these kinds of shows would treat it like an ongoing competition. Keep all the contestants for eight or ten weeks, let everyone participate in everything. Sure, you can have a weekly ranking, but we would get to see everyone perform several different challenges. Then announce the ranking at the end. That would be so much better than the stupid boot 'em out every week system we're stuck with simply because other reality shows do it that way.
    Once again, I have to agree with you. It would be more interesting to see how everyone develops. That way if one challenge is very difficult for one designer, they are not eliminated solely based on that one weakness. It would be much more dramatic to see who the final winner is if there are more final competitors. Although the eliminations do cause drama, drama will occur naturally under these conditions.
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

I think reality shows do it this way for the dramatic effect, the stress it puts on the contestants, and to eventually focus on a small group of characters. I've tried to imagine Top Model with no eliminations, and I don't think it would work; I think it would overwhelm the audience. Project Runway, however, has very little storyline and all that, and I actually think more designs would equal more interesting viewing. So I agree with respect to this show. I've said many times that I wish Nora or Vanessa were still around, but I also wonder what someone like Mario would have done with more chances...

About Wendy: I'm not so angry as everyone here. This competition has clearly been Kara's or Jay's for weeks now, anyway, and Austin did get a chance to show his designs at Fashion Week.

Yes, I'm off-topic, but there are ways to create momentum. You could make the challenges increasing in difficulty and value as the competition goes on, or have one big elimination halfway through if you want to focus more closely on the lives of a few people. Overall I think it would eliminate the complaints that Contestant X was kept for drama, not for ability.

I think Wendy was kept for drama the week she was against Robert especially.

I kinda think that O'Dell didn't have as much influence as has been suggested. I don't think the producers and judges would give that much control to one person.

The judges did seem to take into consideration the designer's body of work throughout the season. An exasperated Kors complained that Austin hadn't followed design requirements throughout the season and someone (Kors?) complained that Wendy's works had been inconsistent. I think the producers and the judges decided they would rather have the mediocre Wendy at Fashion Week than the talented Austin, cuz he couldn't be trusted to put together a modern collection that would reflect the different functions of different outfits.

I wish they had chosen Austin, though. I didn't care that he didn't follow the rules. He would have made an interesting collection.

+ Reply to Thread