Closed Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Show cancellation and re-airing info

FORT Newbie
    When is "Playing it straight," going to air? I have Tivo and it said no more episodes. Any ideas why Fox get's you hooked and then pulls the plug?

Mary Kay

FORT Newbie
    I found out why the show, "Playing it Straight," is no longer on Fox. One of the guys that got eliminated breeched his contract and told people who the winner was. Therefore, under contract it must not be known who the winner is until the episodes are over. Now since it is out the show was pulled and now he is fined.

Katie

FORT Newbie

"Playing it Straight" Cancelled!!!

[Mod edit - removed uncredited article from another site]
    Last edited by John; 04-10-2004 at 09:38 AM.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryKay
    I found out why the show, "Playing it Straight," is no longer on Fox. One of the guys that got eliminated breeched his contract and told people who the winner was. Therefore, under contract it must not be known who the winner is until the episodes are over. Now since it is out the show was pulled and now he is fined.

Katie
    I find this news very hard to believe. First, it hasn't been reported by any entertainment related websites (like zap2it.com or thefutoncritic.com or mediaweek.com, etc.). Second, reality series (especially "Survivor") have had problems with keeping winners secret. During the Amazon season of "Survivor", I believe it was revealed by several reality tv websites who the final two were.

Also, if this news comes from one of the already eliminated contestants, how would he know who won if they were eliminated? The only possible way an eliminated contestant would know the winner is if that person were one of the final ones eliminated and (possibly) guessed who won and got it right. More importantly, since it is a well-known fact that reality contestants sign confidentiality agreements, why would one risk a substantial fine just to ruin an ending?

The likely reason why "PIS" was yanked is because of the low ratings it earned on Friday nights. ("PIS" schedule-mate "Wonderfalls" has also been given a pink slip.) Also, why would Fox keep the "PIS" website up and running if the winner has been revealed?

Finally...davewfred...

Actually the reality series "Under One Roof" aired on UPN, not Fox.

FORT Regular
    I don't know if this has been mentioned. but FOX could be trying to create a buzz for the show. There are shows in the past that they have shown then pulled off the air. In the time that they are off the air they have gained a huge following. The Family Guy is one example of this. It was canned and then through DVD sales it has been brought back to like. I don't know if it was air on FOX, but it is comming back. Another show is The O.C. which was shown in the summer then pulled for the baseball playoffs. That show also created a buzz and when it came back it opened to a larger audience. Now I know that both of these shows are not reality, but these are examples of what has happened to shows in the past. The wouldn't put it past FOX to be trying to do the same thing with PTS.

One show that I would like to see back is The Drew Carey Show. Whatever happened to that one? It is filming but not airing. But that is off topic...

For those who don't already know, PLAYING IT STRAIGHT is no longer listed as a show FOX will be airing on it's site. Or at least, it's no longer listed in the shows' tab. The FOX website and forum are still active, HOWEVER, FOX did this with Wonderfalls as well. Kept the site and the forum up after word of it being canceled was already circulating the internet although neither the site nor the forum are up now.

If FOX is planning on re-airing PIS from the first episode, I'm curious as to why they kept the site up for over a month (I think) and then took it down as it was nearing it's new airing date when others have said FOX is going to spend millions promoting the show again?

Also, FOREVER EDEN, which was supposed to air again in June (as said on FOX's website and by some members of the show's cast) has also been taken off of FOX's show list and is not included in FOX's June schedule. Again, the website and forums are still up but I wouldn't be surprised if they're not up for much longer.

FORT Fan
    Fox made things a little clearer when they announced their fall schedule(s) on Thursday (5/20).

Entertainment President Gail Berman said that she does not anticipate either "Forever Eden" or "PIS" returning to the line-up. This, despite Fox stating on its website that "Eden" would return in June (which it is unlikely to do).

A glimmer of hope is the fact that unless Fox has ordered more episodes, some of those new shows in June do not have enough episodes to run until November (or post-World Series). For instance, "Simple Life 2" has a 10 episode order, "The Jury" only 6. A series would need about 16 episodes (4 a month for June, July, August, September) to run repeat free thru November (I don't count October because MLB playoffs and World Series will air).

Fox's original plan was to relaunch the entire "PIS" series in the summer. Then I heard it was only the last unaired episodes. Now, the network may not air them at all. "Eden" and "PIS" risk joining the short, but growing, list of reality shows canceled and not allowed to finish their run.

Personally, this doesn't make any sense to me. Fox has paid for "PIS" as it is already finished filming. The only way the network can hope to recoup some of its investment is to air the episodes. Same for "Eden", which was to produce a whopping 26 episodes. Is Fox willing to write these series off without recouping any of their lost investments?

My prediction: if any of Fox's summer shows flop (and some surely will), "Eden" or "PIS" could be rushed on, if for nothing more than filler.

No Closure for Truncated FOX Shows

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tv...8327|1|,00.html

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Wait. Did Jackie pick a gay guy or a heterosexual on "Playing it Straight?" What happened to those skanks and himbos who were supposed to be on "Forever Eden," well, forever? Who, exactly, are "The Ortegas?" And what exactly is it like to live the "Still Life"? Those are just a few of the mysteries left obscured by FOX's multi-tiered schedule unveiled on Thursday (May 20).
    Talking to reporters in anticipation of Thursday upfront presentation to advertisers, FOX Entertainment President Gail Berman trumpeted a schedule so full of shiny new offerings that no consideration will be given to dusting off a few old chestnuts during the summer months. "The Ortegas," scheduled for a fall premiere last year, will join the hardly esteemed ranks of the Randy Quaid alleged comedy "The Grubbs," which FOX also forcibly slipped through the cracks. "Still Life" had an interesting premise, an interesting pilot and a hypothetical midseason slot, but beyond your friendly neighborhood television critic, nobody ever got to see it.

"We don't put shows on our schedule that we ultimately feel don't have the juice behind them to work," Berman insists. "That's just a fact of life. It happens at every network. I don't know that ours is more than anybody else's."

Back in March, FOX sent a group of attractive, but unappealing strangers to live in the jungle and tolerate the fickle rules and STD potential of "Forever Eden." It aired four times. Nobody watched. The singles were, presumably, stranded in the jungle.
    Also in March, FOX sent poor college student Jackie to a dude ranch where all of the men were either gay or straight (as opposed, apparently, to the real world). She had to choose a straight mate to win a cash prize, or a gay beau could fool her and snag the money for himself. It aired three times. Nobody watched. Fortunately, the show had been in on the shelf for so long that all of the contestants made it safely back to civilization.

"'Forever Eden' we don't anticipate returning to the schedule, nor do we anticipate bringing back 'Playing it Straight,'" Berman says, putting a dagger in the hearts of at least a dozen faithful viewers.

As a certain FOX drama once regularly reminded its fans, the truth is out there. Berman actually knows who won on "Playing it Straight" and she knows if anything worth watching eventually happened on "Forever Eden."

"We will certainly provide any viewer that needs the information with the information of the conclusion," promises Berman.

Also joining the ranks of shows that will probably never return is "American Juniors." The "American Idol" spin-off got a high profile launch last summer and was supposed to segue immediately into a second season last fall. However, while Berman is able to rule out the return of a talent show featuring adorable little people, she isn't quite so ready to give up on a dating show featuring lovelorn little people.

"'American Juniors' you will not see on our schedule returning this year," Berman admits. "'The Littlest Groom,' hey, I don't know. Maybe we'll do that one again. That was kinda fun."
    Last edited by ChgoBurbs; 05-21-2004 at 01:27 PM.

"We will certainly provide any viewer that needs the information with the information of the conclusion," promises Berman.
    Does anyone know how it ends?

FORT Fanatic
    Gail Berman does but she is not telling! Ok, I looked on the FOX site and all I could find was a generic "Ask Fox" link so I sent them an e-mail and included that quote from Gail Berman promising to tell us the info we need. I ASSume I'll either get some generic form letter or no response at all.

Closed Thread