+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Playing It Straight Needs Your Help!

  1. #11
    The race is back! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the mat
    Age
    44
    Posts
    40,432
    They have never canceled a reality show yet that I know of
    By "they" do you mean FOX, or do you mean anyone? Because ABC has cancelled several reality shows, although in most cases they have completed them during the summer or on a sister network.

  2. #12
    FORT Fogey Noreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Reading your thoughts
    Posts
    2,297
    I just meant I didn't know of any mainstream reality (big network 8-10 time slot), show that had low ratings, and was only a few weeks long that was canceled.

    The thread starter seemed a little desperate that he/she wouldn't find out who won, or they work for PIS.

  3. #13
    The race is back! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the mat
    Age
    44
    Posts
    40,432
    ABC cancelled "All American Girl", "The Mole 2", and "The Family", among some others, but like I said, they either ran them on sister networks, or re-ran them during the summer.

  4. #14
    Hockey is life! EvaLaruefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Montreal,Canada
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,209
    OMG I love this show and I love that it plays on Friday nights. i'm a stay at home mom and have nothing better to do than watch this great show with my husband~lol

  5. #15
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Age
    34
    Posts
    47
    Very nice idea. We created a similar campaign in hopes that Bravo will bring Boy Meets Boy back for the summer. No word on it though. However I must reiterate the aforementioned -- I think this is considered a hit for Fox as I heard someone mention in an interview with Jackie. I think Fox purposely put the show on Friday nights where it would be effective to its market. It may not be reaching its full potential because of that, but the show is certainly not slumming. Moreso, at this time, there's so much going on with conservative and liberal America concerning gay people. So it's great to look forward to this show where we can forget about all the strife for at least an hour. I will definitely join in emailing Fox to express gratitude and hopes that the show will make a seasonal return.

  6. #16
    Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,027
    [QUOTE=Forever*]I think this is a great idea and I wills end emails right away! but like I said before in another thread, this show might be ignored by the more "serious" Catholic/Homphobic audience .

    [QUOTE]

    agreed...which is another reason FOX shouldn't have put the show on "family fridays" when more of those types of viewers are settling in to watch...

  7. #17
    Unk
    Unk is offline
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3

    Er ... kind of a homophobic homing pigeon

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever*
    I think this is a great idea and I wills end emails right away! but like I said before in another thread, this show might be ignored by the more "serious" Catholic/Homphobic audience .

    By the way... I do think this show is doing pretty great for being on Friday and not having Homophobic viewers (very rare anyways). If people were just open to seeng it then the rating would blow through the roof, especially if it was not on Friday and on Monday or something like that.
    Don't you think the show shreiks "homophobic witchhunt" anyhow? The girl keeps talking about how the gay guys are the enemy. The guys are all trying to tag each other as gay and the whole morbid fear of appearing gay seems to be, like, magnified by the money motives. It effectively seems to be very anti-gay to me, with the dear queers all cast as villians.

  8. #18
    Disturbed... Forever*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Unk
    Don't you think the show shreiks "homophobic witchhunt" anyhow? The girl keeps talking about how the gay guys are the enemy. The guys are all trying to tag each other as gay and the whole morbid fear of appearing gay seems to be, like, magnified by the money motives. It effectively seems to be very anti-gay to me, with the dear queers all cast as villians.
    I really don't. The girl is honestly just like that, you can't really blame her. Not everyone knows gay people and she can only judge from what she hears/has heard about them (stereotypes). Looking at where she comes from, it's even a less possible chance she ever met a gay man at all. Though, in three episodes (I think it's the third? ) she has gotten a lot better at it. She's been learning more and more about how people can be metrosexuals and is starting to get her game-on. Everything they say (like Bradleys slip up on saying he doesnt care about winning the one million [only a gay guy would win one million, a straight guy would win five hundred thousand and Jackie]) she is listening to and every bit of detail she takes into concideration. I know if I were in her position it would be hell trying to figure out who is gay or not.

    How would I do it? Banks shaves his legs and wears some really interesting clothes... but seems to me he is the most "straight" man there. Alex was very quiet and boring... seemed really "straight" but he turned out gay. Sharif is practically bisexual and "extremely" comfortable with his sexuality. I really can't tell what he came on the show as and Jackie could only hope he is straight.

    Remember, Jackie doesn't have all the info we have. Over here there are people with photos of the contestants at gay bars and other people claiming they know the contestants and/or went out with them. Jackie just has to trust her instincts (stereotypes). All of them are trying to act straight, beleive it or not even the straight people are scared of showing any fem. attributes they have around her because they are in danger of being kicked out.
    Currently Enjoying:

    Playing it Straight *Loving it! very fun but needs more viewers!*
    American Idol 3 *Simon who?*

  9. #19
    FORT Fanatic davewfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milford, MI
    Age
    50
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever*
    I really don't. The girl is honestly just like that, you can't really blame her. Not everyone knows gay people and she can only judge from what she hears/has heard about them (stereotypes). Looking at where she comes from, it's even a less possible chance she ever met a gay man at all. Though, in three episodes (I think it's the third? ) she has gotten a lot better at it. She's been learning more and more about how people can be metrosexuals and is starting to get her game-on. Everything they say (like Bradleys slip up on saying he doesnt care about winning the one million [only a gay guy would win one million, a straight guy would win five hundred thousand and Jackie]) she is listening to and every bit of detail she takes into concideration. I know if I were in her position it would be hell trying to figure out who is gay or not.

    How would I do it? Banks shaves his legs and wears some really interesting clothes... but seems to me he is the most "straight" man there. Alex was very quiet and boring... seemed really "straight" but he turned out gay. Sharif is practically bisexual and "extremely" comfortable with his sexuality. I really can't tell what he came on the show as and Jackie could only hope he is straight.

    Remember, Jackie doesn't have all the info we have. Over here there are people with photos of the contestants at gay bars and other people claiming they know the contestants and/or went out with them. Jackie just has to trust her instincts (stereotypes). All of them are trying to act straight, beleive it or not even the straight people are scared of showing any fem. attributes they have around her because they are in danger of being kicked out.
    I agree!!!

    I think this show portrays gay guys as just regular guys that just happen to like other guys!

    It's really no different than Boy meets Boy, where the straight guys were the "enemy," but I don't think it really comes off that way.


    dave

  10. #20
    Oooh yummy makerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    33
    Posts
    710
    Welcome to FORT Unk!

    So far we don't know who's gay and who's not, so I'm not sure who would be cast as villians. None of them have been cast that favourably IMO. Ryan who was straight was annoying. Sharif who has admitted he's on the show for the exposure (we don't know if he's gay or straight), and Luciano who said everyone was there for the money, more than Jackie. No one, gay or straight, seem to be here for love. The three gay guys that have left didn't really have any bad traits that I can recall, they weren't edited to look bad.

    The fact that the men are on this show means they aren't afraid to have everyone know they are gay. Whatever the outcome, they know they have to reveal their sexual preference at the end of it. Besides, like Dave said, I think the show is trying to break down stereotypes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.