+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Offensive?????

Offensive?????

On the FOX board some people have found this show to be offensive to gays.
    I haven't found that to be true on the FORT

What does everyone think. It doesn't offend me but, I'm the type nothing much seems to bother. I don't care what anyone does as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. Their feeling may get hurt but, they did sign up for Reality TV.

Plus they do have the option of leaving the show if they want.

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    I'm not a gay man so I couldn't really say on that level...but I AM a big liberal and thus rather picky about the shows I watch not being blatantly offensive to women & minority groups. So I was somewhat concerned at the possibility that this show could be stereotypical and offensive. However, I actually think that so far, this show has done a really good job of going the other way. I see it as making fun of gay stereotypes and giving people something to think about. I think it deals with homophobia (hoping it will do this even more as it progresses) and it even challenges the straight guys with the situations they put them in. (dancing/sleeping with other guys who may be gay, etc.) So I find it even a little progressive.

What is it that people seem to be finding offensive about it?

I'm not a man or gay, so I have no idea what they would find offensive, I was hoping someone here could explain.

Boycotting sponsors was mentioned and I don't know if the show purposely offends all gays or just men.

I don't see it any different than they treat women or men on any Reality TV show.

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noreen
    I'm not a man or gay, so I have no idea what they would find offensive, I was hoping someone here could explain.

Boycotting sponsors was mentioned and I don't know if the show purposely offends all gays or just men.

I don't see it any different than they treat women or men on any Reality TV show.
    I agree. I think it's actually smarter than your average reality show (not that that's too great a feat but still )

hmm i guess i can maybe see why its offensive

but actually, i think this show makes straight people look bad

T.V.'s still have channel buttons as well as remote controls right? If it's offensive, why can't someone just change the channel?
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

speedbump I think it's because they want to help "you" decide what to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    T.V.'s still have channel buttons as well as remote controls right? If it's offensive, why can't someone just change the channel?

I agree! No matter what topic or subject, you're always going to have someone that always looks for the bad instead of the good.

I think the show is great!

OH...should I start the whole debate on how this show degrades women and makes them look confused, weak and undecisive?

dave

+ Reply to Thread