+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just noticed something...

I just noticed something...

I know I'm a freak...but as I am watching the show for the 3rd time, I noticed when Bill was talking to the camera, he said "...gay..." and his eyes darted to the right. Also, Ryan was talking while he was sitting by the fence post and said the word "gay" and right after he said it, he looked away too!

Are there any psychologists in here that know anything about what a person does when they lie???

OH...here I go OVER analyzing once again!

dave
    Last edited by davewfred; 03-14-2004 at 02:13 PM.

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    Well, I spent some time a criminal attorney so I have a lot of experience dealing with lying In my experience, it is true that many liars have trouble maintaining eye contact at crucial moments in their story. However, there are also some people who just get nervous and have trouble with eye contact - esp. in a stressful situation (e.g. on the stand, or on TV). Mainly I notice that people stop maintaining eye contact when they are uncomfortable or nervous. This could mean quite a number of things, including (a) they are lying about being straight, thus, saying "gay" makes them uncomfortable (b) they are nervous just talking to me (or in this case, to a camera) or (c) they are nervous even SAYING the word gay...because they are straight.

So I don't know that I would think it would really be conclusive in this situation. Just my opinion...Sorry! But, good observation!! I am sure it means SOMETHING, just not sure we can tell what.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davewfred
    Are there any psychologists in here that know anything about what a person does when they lie???

OH...here I go OVER analyzing once again!

dave
    Awwww...a fellow over-analyzer!! Welcome to the club I don't know about the glancing away, but I know that liars tend to avoid eye contact (unless they are really pathological creeps - like my brother - who can stare you straight in the face and tell you the most outrageous things). Over-explaining or generally answering more than was asked (Ryan comes to mind here) is a sign of lying too. Dr. Phil's website has a page on recognizing a liar - he says that liars touch the base of their nose a lot. So, that's what we have to watch out for...the nose touchers Hmmm, something tells me that our over-analyzing is not gonna be easy, huh?

KC
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    Awwww...a fellow over-analyzer!! Welcome to the club I don't know about the glancing away, but I know that liars tend to avoid eye contact (unless they are really pathological creeps - like my brother - who can stare you straight in the face and tell you the most outrageous things). Over-explaining or generally answering more than was asked (Ryan comes to mind here) is a sign of lying too. Dr. Phil's website has a page on recognizing a liar - he says that liars touch the base of their nose a lot. So, that's what we have to watch out for...the nose touchers Hmmm, something tells me that our over-analyzing is not gonna be easy, huh?

KC

I AGREE!!! Although, I am sorry to hear about your brother!

Ryan is a snake!

dave

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    ah yes, I too love to overanalyze things, and especially people. That is why I like reality TV - AND this site!

I agree, the over explaining is a very good sign of a liar. But you know, I always thought the nose-touching was b.s., myself. But who knows. This will indeed be hard!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie9
    ah yes, I too love to overanalyze things, and especially people. That is why I like reality TV - AND this site!

I agree, the over explaining is a very good sign of a liar. But you know, I always thought the nose-touching was b.s., myself. But who knows. This will indeed be hard!
    Nose touching?

dave

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davewfred
    Nose touching? dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaicee
    Dr. Phil's website has a page on recognizing a liar - he says that liars touch the base of their nose a lot. So, that's what we have to watch out for...the nose touchers Hmmm, something tells me that our over-analyzing is not gonna be easy, huh?
    Beware of the nose touchers
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    Beware of the nose touchers
    I'll be watching!

dave

Rab
    People lying tend to look in one direction while those telling the truth usually look the other way. I forget which way though but maybe liars look to the right more often?

Sounds like Pinnochio, touching the nose to see if it grows. Maybe, on this show, a better indicator would be what doesn't grow..............

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast