+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Professions of contestants

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar

Professions of contestants

Discussions on other threads lead me to the question...can the professions of the contestants really provide clues to their sexuality? If so, why? Any thoughts?

Also, I think there are certain professions on these reality TV shows that are just code for "aspiring actor" - jobs like bartender, waiter, and event planner come to mind.

I don't think professions can provide any insight, but I firmly believe that their names are dead giveaways. I mean really, Bradley? Banks? Gust? Obviously gay.

(John pulls his tongue out from being firmly planted in his cheek, and proceeds to duck and cover)

I think geographical location provides a better hint. Austin always gets a blip on my gaydar...

For my part, I don't think there are any "gay" or "straight" professions, obviously, but in my experience, there are definitely some professions and specialized areas or firms that are way more accepting of gay people than others, on the whole. For example, there was *no one* who was openly gay and OUT at one of my former jobs (a very conservative law firm with a conservative specialty). NOT ONE PERSON out of hundreds. I don't doubt gay people worked there, but due to the environment, no one was out. However, when I worked in show business, I would say that more than half of the people I worked with were openly gay or bisexual.

So, I definitely do think it's possible that the more accepting work environments may draw higher proportions of openly gay people, as well as the opposite. But of course, there are certainly gay people in most every profession, and some of them may not be out at all.

So my point in all of this is to wonder (a) are actually there certain jobs or job environments that are more "gay friendly?" (b) if so, do you think FOX will cast along these stereotypes, or will they cast against it? (e.g., a gay guy who works for the Republican National Committee)

I personally think it would be great if they have at least one or two gay guys in more conservative professions who are willing to come out. Hopefully it will make a few people stop and think.

One profession that has a very high rate of homoness, is high-tech, and the cities that attract that industry, usually have a large gay community. I've met gay, cops, construction workers, firemen, doctors etc, eskimos just everything so it's impossible to tell from profession really. Most gay guys like to live in tolerant, open cities with some kind of a gay community, but, I've met gay guys in little tiny towns too, even way up in Northern Canada, god, we are everywhere! I hope so too, Charlie, that Fox does come up with some surprises, like Sharif turns out to be gay ( he might be responsible for the first same-sex divorce in Canada ). Sharif, do you have a bunny I can boil?
    Last edited by Lotuslander; 03-11-2004 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    One profession that has a very high rate of homoness, is high-tech, and the cities that attract that industry, usually have a large gay community. I've met gay, cops, construction workers, firemen, doctors etc, eskimos just everything so it's impossible to tell from profession really. Most gay guys like to live in tolerant, open cities with some kind of a gay community, but, I've met gay guys in little tiny towns too, even way up in Northern Canada, god, we are everywhere! I hope so too, Charlie, that Fox does come up with some surprises, like Sharif turns out to be gay ( he might be responsible for the first same-sex divorce in Canada ). Sharif, do you have a bunny I can boil?
    LOL! Lotuslander, you crack me up. I'd boil his bunny, too.

I am really hoping that they will reveal some hotties who turn out to be gay that have professions that might shock some people. But then, every time I wish for something even a little socially progressive, I have to remind myself that this show is on FOX.

FORT Newbie

Don't believe everything you read

I know one of the guys... the profession listed is correct but the hometown listed is WRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by donnyp
    I know one of the guys... the profession listed is correct but the hometown listed is WRONG!
    I bet the hometown is San Francisco!

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    I bet the hometown is San Francisco!
    And John thought he was going to have to run for cover.....giggle

Duck Loutus Duck

I guess some jobs are more likely to be held by gay guys, but for the most part, what a person does, doesn't really reveal if a person is gay or straight.

dave

+ Reply to Thread