+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guessing Game

Guessing Game

GUESSING GAME

$1 MILLION AT STAKE IN FOX'S 'PLAYING IT STRAIGHT' REALITY SERIES

By Kim McNabb

Staff writer

Mixing gay men and straight men is the hot trend in reality TV. First the Fab Five turned hopeless straight men into more fashionable, cultural, romantic and suave lads. This week on Comedy Central straight men return the favor and challenge and help some gay guys pass as straight for a day and pursue their "blue-collar" dreams. This past summer Bravo aired the gay dating reality show "Boy Meets Boy" that had a gay guy choosing a partner, the twist being some of the potential winners were straight men. Now it's a straight woman's turn to choose a man on Fox's "Playing it Straight." The catch is that she's choosing from 14 men, some straight and some gay, and no one knows who is what. If in the end she manages to choose a straight man the couple will split the $1 million prize. If a gay man manages to fool her to the end and is chosen, he wins the $1 million.

The host of "Playing It Straight" is comedian Daphne Brogdan, a brassy bombshell who likes all men. She says the show will keep audiences buzzing over who is gay and who isn't. It also shows gay men and straight men together in a new way, she says.

It can be difficult to tell the difference between gay men and straight men just by looking at them, Brogdan says. Straight men and their newfound "metrosexuality" and gay buff boys confuse previous standards of identification.

"It can be hard. I dated a guy in college who I thought might be gay, but he was super fine and we had a great time together. He got busy and everything seemed to work," Brogdon said. "He came out a couple of years later. Now, I am great friends with him and his boyfriend. Brogdon once questioned a straight man before dating him because she thought he was gay. "I finally said to him straight out, 'you seem really gay!' he said he wasn't," she said. "Odd though. He flipped his hair a lot and pursed his lips all the time. He is still dating women."

Brogdon thinks sexuality is not as black and white as it used to be. "Last weekend in Palm Springs a gay guy started French kissing me. Sexuality isn't black and white. Short answer? Yes, it's very hard to tell," she said.

Once filming began Brogdon could not confidently say who was gay and who was straight. "I was often wrong," she said. "One guy-I saw his picture before they arrived and I was screaming, 'Hello Nelly!' and I was wrong. There were several that had me going back and forth the whole time. A few I was sure were gay, but weren't and vice versa. A couple made my jaw drop. And the gay guys could be better flirters...with me. Remember the gay guys didn't know who was gay or straight so it's not like I would come into the living room and see a hot oil massage orgy...not that I would have minded-our guys were cute."

Brogdan stated that most of the good "dirt" from the filming ends up on screen. "A surprise departure, a visit to an emergency room, a battle over a blow dryer. You know, the kind of stuff you expect from a house full of boys," she said.

Along with Brogdan the crew enjoyed watching the behind-the-scenes shenanigans. "The crew and the production staff had their favorites on the show-those we wanted to stay and those we wanted to go. We could only watch them like lab rats," she said. "We often thought, 'I can't believe she's going to fall for the old line, it's as old as dirt.' I was surprised how emotional I got after some of the guys were eliminated. It got hectic. Especially when people are talking about true feelings and coming out of the closet."

With 14 guys living together so intimately, attractions and relationships popping up between contestants seemed a likely possibility. Brogdan says that didn't happen, though it was discussed. "No one hooked up on camera. There was a conversation about something of that nature, well, you...girls do talk," she said.

And as one of only two women around the group of men Brogdan enjoyed her time flirting with the guys, including the gay ones. "Hey, why limit myself to the straight ones?" she said. "I think a roll in the hay with me is not too big a price to pay in order to win a million dollars. That's a lot of turquoise. Hell, for a million we could have a ceremony in Providence. Seriously, though, I was dating someone when we were filming and secondly, more importantly, I am a professional."

Brogdan said putting gay men and straight men together in this way challenges some misconceptions of how gay and straight men relate to each other. She said that men will not necessarily divide themselves along gay and straight identities. "Straight guys can sell each other out and so can gay guys," she said. "People divide along character, not sexual orientation. Another couple of misconceptions I'd like to clear up is that the cutest guys are always gay. Also, that gay guys don't like to be sexual with a woman. If I get any more specific I think I will give some of the game away."

Also, the biggest queen on the set was not a gay man, but a straight one, she said.

Brogdan appreciates what both gay men and straight men have to offer.

When Brogdan was asked, "Would you rather spend your life with a caring, sensitive, cultured gay guy who's not interested in sex or a schlubby, straight, couch-potato sex maniac?" she answered, "I'd spend most of the time with the gay guy, but I'd go home and climb on top of my couch potato like I was scaling Mt. Everest."
    http://www.chicagofreepress.com/freestyle/

Brogdan stated that most of the good "dirt" from the filming ends up on screen. "A surprise departure, a visit to an emergency room, a battle over a blow dryer.
    I just hope there's a pillowfight at some point with all the boys in their tightie-whities
    "Just kiss my toes and I'll be happy." - Dex

I wouldn't object to that...

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    When Brogdan was asked, "Would you rather spend your life with a caring, sensitive, cultured gay guy who's not interested in sex or a schlubby, straight, couch-potato sex maniac?" she answered, "I'd spend most of the time with the gay guy, but I'd go home and climb on top of my couch potato like I was scaling Mt. Everest."

That is just gross. No matter what the reality show, these women NEVER cease to amaze me at the idiotic statements they'll make somewhere along the way. :rolleyes
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Also, the biggest queen on the set was not a gay man, but a straight one, she said

I bet this is going to turn out to be Luciano! That's so funny and honest what she said about spending most of her time with gay guy and then going home and crawling on her couch potatoe!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Also, the biggest queen on the set was not a gay man, but a straight one, she said

I bet this is going to turn out to be Luciano! That's so funny and honest what she said about spending most of her time with gay guy and then going home and crawling on her couch potatoe!!!!

Luciano??? Are you kidding? This HAS to be Ryan! I JUST read this article and I'm starting to think that Ryan could actually be a straight boy...

HMMMM

dave

well if ryan is straight than his strategy is totally stupid

why on earth would he get into that hot tub with eddie

no way is the queen luciano, but she could have been talking about gust or maybe even bradley lol

Quote Originally Posted by snickers
    well if ryan is straight than his strategy is totally stupid

why on earth would he get into that hot tub with eddie

no way is the queen luciano, but she could have been talking about gust or maybe even bradley lol
    You are probably right on the Gust thing...that actually crossed my mind on my way to work this morning. How pathetic am I getting? Thinking about this show and the board while I'm driving!!!

lol

dave

lmao!!!

dont worry i am pathetic too...i have also thought about shows/forums while driving....but usually only when i'm upset about something....like if i got into an argument with a poster lol....and i've never thought about this forum when driving lol.....dont worry....just means i like this place more....i only think about things that bother me on a forum lol

ok that article is either about gust or ryan....those two are the biggest queens....and we already know one is straight so we will have to wait and see i guess lol

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davewfred
    You are probably right on the Gust thing...that actually crossed my mind on my way to work this morning. How pathetic am I getting? Thinking about this show and the board while I'm driving!!!

lol

dave
    Dave - don't feel bad. I thought of Ian the Tasty every day when the bachelorette was on....and I'm not the only one - ahem....I even dreamed about him a few times. And yes, I had him as my avatar for a while, I even had chomp to make me an avatar with my face plastered over Meredith's in a pic of her and Ian.

I know you didn't watch this show - here's a little sample of Ian the Tasty.
    See what I mean?

PS - that's chompstick floating in the pool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast