+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who we are to judge: the "qualifications" topic

Who we are to judge: the "qualifications" topic

Note I say "Who we are to judge" and not "Who are we to judge"--the intent being very different between those statements.

The intention of this thread is to set up a place for voluntary disclosure, where we can fess up, if we wish, to which things in our life may either help or hinder us in evaluating the guys on this show. The intent is NOT to question the entire premise of the show, gay stereotypes, the FOX network, the Bush presidency, or anything else--there may well be other more appropriate threads here for those things to be debated.

Perhaps it will go down easier talking about the issues this show is raising if we fess up to special knowledge, or ignorance of such. For purposes of this show I think it best to avoid being very specific with your bio, and concentrate mostly on elements which have to do with identifying your experience with er... for lack of a better term... gay life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start with me.

-Straight male. 30's.
    -Urban for much of my life, sub-urban for the rest.
    -East coast--mostly New York.
    -Gay female relative in my family--in a committed long-term monogamous relationship.
    -Pro gay marriage, because of the above and a belief that monogamy is always more moral.
    -Grew up with no gay friends, although they were present in my school system.
    -Have worked and lightly socialized with gays semi-regularly. Been casual friends with at least two, through college and work years, although not close. Have also worked with a number of metrosexual types, or folks where there was question one way or the other, although the conversation about sexual preference rarely happens. Usually some office gossip blabs it whether you ask or not, although I've also worked with gays who were extremely open about it (partners coming to Christmas parties, meeting them after work with co-workers, etc.)
    -I've never had a story told to me by a girl about her first lesbian experience or had a three-way. I'm still waiting, although in the spirit of full disclosure... it would have to be two women with me...
    -Enjoy "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" a great deal, but had little desire to watch "Boy Meets Boy". Not a "Will & Grace" fan, although that's at least in part because I hate the entire Thursday night NBC lineup. Looking forward to this show, mostly because I anticipate it being somewhat comically cheesy, and FOX is the king of cheese.
    -Have made dumb assumptions or comments about gays in my life, but not to an extent that I feel ashamed. Will no doubt make one or two here in this forum, but I don't anticipate it being that bad.
    -On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate my "Gaydar" about a 5 or 6, but haven't ever really had to prove it.
    Last edited by Krom; 03-08-2004 at 03:08 PM.

Me:

-Watcher of reality TV

That's all the qualification I need to be able to post my opinions of this show and those contestants who take part.

I'm here because I want to learn how to use my gaydar - which will be useful for my "game" in the bar scene. Huray to the thoughtful peeple at Fox for bringing us mor edukational programing!!

I think I need a disclaimer to say that none of my posts should be taken too seriously. I won't try to tiptop around and be 100% politically correct, but I just want to say my intentions aren't to offend anyone.

Oh well, I'm off to wave my imaginary gaydar in everyone's face!
    "Just kiss my toes and I'll be happy." - Dex

I've taken the batteries out of my gaydar - it was getting to be a pain in the butt having to wear those lead pants all the time.

I'm sorry but lead pants?? That was so Spring 2003. Carson wants me to tell you the fashion police are watching.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by makerc
    I'm here because I want to learn how to use my gaydar - which will be useful for my "game" in the bar scene.
    Watching a reality show on television to "learn how to use your gaydar" will prove to be more of a painful lesson then anything. Don't count on what you "learn" from a show to be used as a template for real life situations.

What's your "game" in the bar scene? To play gay, or to point out gay people?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Since we haven't seen so much as the first episode, I think the best we can all do is to make our best guess based on nothing but our gut reaction. It's the same as when we look at pictures of other dating show's contestants and try to decide if they are a drama queen or jerk before the show airs. However, as we often find out, guessing anything on looks alone isn't a very reliable way of judging people.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Watching a reality show on television to "learn how to use your gaydar" will prove to be more of a painful lesson then anything. Don't count on what you "learn" from a show to be used as a template for real life situations.

What's your "game" in the bar scene? To play gay, or to point out gay people?
    Maveno I was joking, as if I could really learn something from Fox reality shows (hence the joke about education) And I'm not applying anything I see on this show or any other show to real life. I'm certainly not counting on the day I will find myself on an island with plastic apples on my bed and Ethan Zohn (... hmmm... preferably also in my bed).

And I used the word "game" here as in the slang for skills/strategies in picking up at the bars. Not "game" as in fun & entertainment. I don't play games with real people and hurt their feelings. The GAC is strictly on the FORT board, and based on the premise on the show. The FORT board to me is also not something that I apply to real life.

Now finally, in reply to your question, if you really want to know my game(/strategy), my real game is I got no game (and that's the gramatically correct term as the slang goes). I try to be myself. I also don't actually go and try to pick up at bars. That was all part of the joke. There wasn't much seriousness in my post except that part about the disclaimer.

I don't really care if people are gay or not when I talk to them, and I have gay friends, but it does matter when I'm looking for a boyfriend. That's the point of the show. If it does exist, a gaydar for helping me find a bf would be useful. It'd save me time from trying to attract the wrong guy who wouldn't be interested in me. But aside from that situation, and this show of course, I really don't go around trying to figure out who's gay or who's not.

Ok, I hope that clears up any misunderstanding about my post. Now back to PIS!

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    My qualifications:

* 25 yr. old straight female *
    * have many gay, bi, confused, and straight friends *
    * have metrosexual friends and know the difference between homo & metro *
    * urban to the core *
    * bar hopped all over the US and elsewhere *
    * avid watcher of reality show contestants who are fully aware that we will probably judge & make fun of not only them but also any friend/family member we get to "meet" .. I would expect no less of you guys if it were me on the show *

Now, do I get the job?
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast