+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who we are to judge: the "qualifications" topic

In Canada the legal drinking age is 18, plus I said twenty - something, not 20 exact!

Yes Maker, I agree, the whole point of this show is to "test your gaydar", can we please forget about political correctness. I believe the guy who started this thread simply wanted to know, if we had any previous 'gaydar' experience" etc, would be interesting to see if the members who have no gay friends, who are straight, etc, have better gaydar than some of us jaded storm troopers from the gaydar wars. Relax and have fun. Frankly, I think woman have every reason to be suspicious of someone's sexuality, who wants to marry a closeted gay guy, it happens all the time, and what a nightmare for both parties. This show is obvioulsy going to breakdown some, and I said some, people's stereotypes of what a gay person, looks,acts, etc,,,,..I have the perfect ending, she picks a gay guy, but he feels guilty about deceiving her so splits the million with her......and Maker, about me and Sharif, just because I'm on a diet, doesn't mean I can't look ( or stare at for hours ) the menu!~
    Last edited by Lotuslander; 03-10-2004 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Yes Maker, I agree, the whole point of this show is to "test your gaydar", can we please forget about political correctness. I believe the guy who started this thread simply wanted to know, if we had any previous 'gaydar' experience" etc, would be interesting to see if the members who have no gay friends, who are straight, etc, have better gaydar than some of us jaded storm troopers from the gaydar wars. Relax and have fun. !
    That's most of the idea--in fact that's what's behind the flipping of the usual phrase "who are we to judge" with "who we are to judge". There's no need to justify. The intention is that if you think you have this mysterious "sense" of gaydar, you might think so for a reason. And if you DON'T think you have it, you might want to make it clear that your guesses are nothing but an exhibition of reality show viewing wiles, or perhaps just sarcasm, or wild guesses.

In part this is also because I read a series of responses which were taking a blanket "how do you know this"/"how can you prove this" approach to a lot of the "I think he's gay" comments. Perhaps they were sarcasm (and I'm normally the king of sarcasm), but if people were going to ask for proof, even in jest, it made sense to create a place to discuss that in a way that was less specific to any particular prediction. As I said, I don't think anyone has to prove anything to anyone here, but if you want to try, here's a place to drop some evidence. Or if you want to make it clear that you feel no need to justify, well it's also pretty appropriate to just say so here, as long as you stick to your own motives and not anyone else's.

As to myself, I fall so firmly in the "middle" experience-wise, that I'm certainly not in either camp. I can't prove enough special knowledge to justify--even if I wanted to, and I can't in good conscience get away with a "happy ignorance" excuse. So not justifying anything I guess IS actually the best path for me, despite authoring a thread that (for some) may encourage the reverse behavior.

I'm guessing like crazy here, based on dumb crap like smiles, hair, stereotypes, and assumed knowledge of reality show twists, just like most people. With some additional knowledge from too much television, gay aquaintances, two relatives (I definitely consider the gay relative's partner "family" after almost 15 years), and yes, both openly gay and closeted co-workers--which may (or may not) help much very much with a stupid FOX show--it's still pretty clear to me at least that I know only enough to know that I'm probably getting it ALL wrong. So yeah... in addition to all of the other reasons given above, I DO think it might also eventually be interesting, as Lotuslander suggests, to approach any kind of "post game" analysis we might eventually do with some eye on whether or not our previous experiences "helped" us or not.
    Last edited by Krom; 03-10-2004 at 02:57 AM.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by makerc
    Maveno I was joking, as if I could really learn something from Fox reality shows (hence the joke about education) And I'm not applying anything I see on this show or any other show to real life. I'm certainly not counting on the day I will find myself on an island with plastic apples on my bed and Ethan Zohn (... hmmm... preferably also in my bed).

And I used the word "game" here as in the slang for skills/strategies in picking up at the bars. Not "game" as in fun & entertainment. I don't play games with real people and hurt their feelings. The GAC is strictly on the FORT board, and based on the premise on the show. The FORT board to me is also not something that I apply to real life.
    LOL I thought you were serious so I was genuinely wondering what type of game you played cause there ARE actual fun games you can play at bars/clubs. (The games that are not mean spirited) Also, a big ::whew:: that you're not going to try and hone your gaydar w/a Fox reality show.

Anywho...I'm 33, in a long-term relationship, have been gay all my life (born this way), use gaydar, use Q-tips, having engine problems w/Explorer, had a gay brother also and love to camp on the beach.
    Hopefully I am willing and able to make concious decisions with these "qualifications".
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

My gaydar is pretty bad, but I'm a good detective......

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    Agreed...if we struggle to be too PC with this show, it's gonna be a rough line to toe!
    I think as long as we all know our hearts are in the right place, it will be fine.
    In that vein, I appreciate the sentiments of this thread so I will throw in that I have a lot of ties to the gay/bi/trans community, and also have a close family member who is gay. Since I came of age in San Francisco, defining the various aspects of my own sexuality in accordance with that would take several pages and would put you all to sleep, so I'll spare you all and just say that I am happy to be here.

Maveno - glad we got that sorted It was kinda hard admiting that I won't be getting cool apples or going on Fantasy Dream Dates with 10 or so gorgeous guys, but I'll live vicariously through our girl Jackie.

Ok, I wanna know now, what bar games? The only games I can think of are pre-bar drinking games - which brings back a lot of first year university memories. I'm a Fuzzy Duck champion.

Lotuslander, when you're done drooling on the menu I'll like to take a look too - and I'll take a menu sampling if they offered it. I don't have to watch my weight, I'm actually looking to gain a few pounds

Canadians are so polite and diplomatic!!!!

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Canadians are so polite and diplomatic!!!!
    I agree.

Hey Canadians - expect a bunch of Americans to move there and join y'all after this November if a certain Texan gets re-elected.

Speaking of political correctness: Why are we seeing a lot of TV shows with gay men, but non whatsoever with gay women? I think it would be interessting to see a Girl meets Girl show. And I don't count kissing women at award shows as seing lesbians on TV, that's about provocation, not love.

To be on-topic: I am a straight woman, who has a gay relative and gay friends, and who people sometimes think is a lesbian (I have no idea what that's based on, sterotypes are not rational). I must admit I'm a little uneasy to try to use my gaydar in this contest (I hate sterotyping people) but I will try because it is all in good fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast