+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who we are to judge: the "qualifications" topic

MIA, RIP, or Busy...

I watch the Fab 5-is that enough?
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

Me:
    20 something legally married gay guy in Vancouver, Canada
    Have lived in Cologne, London, Montreal, and Vancouver
    Have a gay brother.
    Twin Sister
    Came out socially before sexually.
    Usually I'm the only open gay guy at work, but that has changed radically in the last few years.
    Something that most heterosexuals are unaware of, but 1 in 4 gay people have a gay sibling, which points to a genetic factor.
    Last edited by Lotuslander; 03-08-2004 at 11:32 PM.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Why does anyone feel they have to "qualify"

It's a TV show. I agree with our fearless leader John "Watcher of reality TV" is the only qualification any of us need. There are plenty of websites not called fansofrealitytv to "fess up"

I don't think he means qualifications, per se, just background info, or which of you are gay???

Just to clarify, the term "Metrosexual" doesn't have anything to do with one's sexual orientation. There are gay metrosexuals as well as straight.

The typical metrosexual is a young man with money to spend, living in or within easy reach of a metropolis — because that's where all the best shops, clubs, gyms and hairdressers are. He might be officially gay, straight or bisexual, but this is utterly immaterial because he has clearly taken himself as his own love object and pleasure as his sexual preference. Particular professions, such as modeling, waiting tables, media, pop music and, nowadays, sport, seem to attract them but, truth be told, like male vanity products and herpes, they're pretty much everywhere.
    —Mark Simpson, "Meet the metrosexual," Salon.com, July 22, 2002

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Just to clarify, the term "Metrosexual" doesn't have anything to do with one's sexual orientation. There are gay metrosexuals as well as straight.

The typical metrosexual is a young man with money to spend, living in or within easy reach of a metropolis — because that's where all the best shops, clubs, gyms and hairdressers are. He might be officially gay, straight or bisexual, but this is utterly immaterial because he has clearly taken himself as his own love object and pleasure as his sexual preference. Particular professions, such as modeling, waiting tables, media, pop music and, nowadays, sport, seem to attract them but, truth be told, like male vanity products and herpes, they're pretty much everywhere.
    —Mark Simpson, "Meet the metrosexual," Salon.com, July 22, 2002
    I know what the term means. My point was that some straight "metrosexual" guys are often mistakenly thought of as gay just because they like to look good and dress well. :rolleyes
    IMO those guys are always the best looking. My BF would be considered as a metro, but he'd die if someone called him that!
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by eny
    Why does anyone feel they have to "qualify"

It's a TV show. I agree with our fearless leader John "Watcher of reality TV" is the only qualification any of us need. There are plenty of websites not called fansofrealitytv to "fess up"
    Because I've already seen tons of sarcastic posts along the lines of "why do you say that" or "what makes you think that's gay". If there's going to be torpedoing here of people for simply saying that something seems gay, it makes some amount of sense that if you explain why you think you've come to the conclusion you did it might help satisfy the questioner. Similarly, if you fess up ahead of time to not knowing what you are talking about, at least it's obvious to someone who might take it too seriously that you are joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Me:
    20 something legally married gay guy in Vancouver, Canada
    you're 20 and married?? You're barely legal to have wine on your anniversary!

Best wishes.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I guess John and Eny are saying we shouldn't need to feel like we have to justify why we give opinions, and they don't want to give the impression that we do. But if people feel defensive or misunderstood, I like the fact that there's a place to explain ourselves. I was surprised that many people are taking it a lot more sensitively than I would have thought I post on Survivor, Apprentice, AI and ANTM boards too. I like posting there, but it was refreshing to post here where most of us are kind of joking around and not being over-analytical about strategies and alliances and purely pulling opinions and speculations out of thin air Some of my comments (like the one about bad haircuts) are actually poking fun of gay stereotypes (it's a 'positive' stereotype but a stereotype anyway). I didn't realize people would think I'm being serious. My friends and I are comfortable enough about this topic to be able to talk about these things and joke about them so I'm used to it.

If it makes the people who don't like the way it's going so far feel any better, I think we'll have a lot more to talk about other than sexuality and how cute the contestants look, how bright their teeth are (hi Sharif heehee ) or how funny their names sound once the show starts.
    "Just kiss my toes and I'll be happy." - Dex

LL you are married? What's this about looking out into the empty ocean then?
    "Just kiss my toes and I'll be happy." - Dex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast