+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 163

Thread: Sharif - Musician, Arlington, VA

  1. #91
    Sharif Fan surfside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    30

    Northern Virginia/DC/Maryland Fans

    Have any of you in the northern virginia or DC metro area heard of Gonzo's Nose? They are an 80s/90s cover band. I am on their mailing list and just got an email that Sharif is going to be playing with them next Friday. I'll copy and paste the info below:

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

    This Saturday, it's the Slackers' St. Patty's Day/Almost First Day of
    Spring/Super-Slackers' New Year's/Last Day of Winter PARTY at the Clarendon
    Ballroom!

    :-)

    And, as if THAT weren't enough...

    The star of the new Fox reality show "Playing It Straight"
    (http://www.fox.com/playingitstraight), SHARIF, will be playing and singing
    during our set break!

    "Is he straight or is he gay now?
    Is he gay or is he straight now?
    If he's gay, the winnings double
    If he's straight, there'll be less trouble!"

    (Any resemblance to a Clash song is purely coincidental.)

    See you there!
    --Gonzo's Nose

    WHAT: Gonzo's Nose at the Clarendon Ballroom, with SHARIF
    WHEN: Saturday, 20 March 2004. 9:30 p.m.
    WHERE: The Clarendon Ballroom. 3185 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA.
    COST: $8 after 8pm. Call (703) 469-2244.

    http://www.gonzosnose.com
    http://www.sharifmusic.com
    http://www.clarendonballroom.com
    http://www.evolvetech.com

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sharif Rocks. www.sharifmusic.com

  2. #92
    Sharif Fan surfside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    30

    Sharif Plays it Straight

    http://www.readthehook.com/stories/2...arifPlays.html

    NEWS- Gaydar alert: Sharif plays it straight

    Published March 11, 2004 in issue #0310 of The Hook

    By COURTENEY STUART STUART@READTHEHOOK.COM

    The shows keep getting wackier, but that doesn't seem to deter a slew of locals who've signed up to immortalize their names in reality TV history.

    The latest to join the reality madness? UVA grad Sharif, a 25-year-old musician, actor, model-- and now a contestant on Fox's new reality show, Playing it Straight, airing Friday, March 12, at 8pm.

    He follows in the wake of Anse Clinard, an actor and Orbit Billiards bartender who was one of the first to be booted from The Bachelorette earlier this winter. Before that, a local couple, Eric Hurt and Kristin Cobb, put their love to the test in Temptation Island's third season, while back in 2001, third year UVA law student "Tempting Tom" Ritchie served as a "spoiler" on that show's first season.

    The mono-monikered Sharif, who prefers to keep his last name private, is no stranger to the spotlight. He released his first CD, Broken Light, in 2000 and followed it up with Kiss the Moon in 2002. His latest effort, Surrogate Lovers, an eclectic mix of folk, rock, even country, should be out sometime in April. Like his first two CDs, Surrogate features Richmond vocalist Regan, and this time Sharif also has some big names behind him: Whiskeytown's Mike Daly and ATO Records star David Gray play back-up. Sharif says he's hoping to hold a CD release party at Starr Hill, as he did for Kiss the Moon.

    In the meantime, however, Sharif fans can get their fix on Fox.

    The Playing it Straight concept is simple: Give a girl 14 hunks to choose from. Just as she's getting excited about her hot prospects, drop the bomb: Some of these guys are gay, and she'd better be able to eliminate them. If she picks a straight guy as her favorite match, the two of them will split a million dollar pot and maybe find love. If her "gaydar" is on the blink and she picks a homosexual, he takes the million and goes on his merry way, while she goes home alone and empty-handed.

    Oh, the drama!

    What was it like for him to live among 13 other guys whose sexuality he didn't know?

    "It got to be stressful," says Sharif, who's forbidden by contract to discuss his gender preference. No one had "any idea of who was real and who was not," he says, and back-stabbing and gossiping were rampant.

    Sharif-- who splits his time between Norfolk, D.C., and Charlottesville-- said at first he had no idea about the show's concept.

    He did an early interview with show producers in Virginia Beach and soon after was flown out to L.A.

    It wasn't until his first day on the set, a ranch in Elko, Nevada, that he and the other men learned their fate. But Sharif says he wasn't upset by the concept of having his sexuality highlighted on national TV.

    "I've never had any issue" with people's sexuality, he explains, "be it guys or girls, gays or straight."

    As on other reality shows, each episode ends with an elimination ceremony. On Playing it Straight, star Jackie sends two men she believes may be gay home each night. After her decision is made, each reveals his sexual preference.

    To ensure the show's outcome remained a secret, all the contestants were sequestered during the three-and-a-half-week shoot.

    Sharif says he's hoping attention generated by the show will help his music career and draw visitors to his website, sharifmusic.com. But he has no idea what the future holds.

    "Whatever happens, happens," he says. "I'm just ready for it to come out."

    Will Sharif "come out" too? We'll just have to watch and see.



    Straight or gay? Sharif tries to fly below the "gaydar" on Fox's Playing it Straight.
    PHOTO BY JEN FARIELLO

    #
    Sharif Rocks. www.sharifmusic.com

  3. #93
    Wonky snarkmistress Lucy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Playing kickball for the beer
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,870
    Woohoo! A fellow Wahoo!
    He'd have been a couple of years behind me, though.
    Still, glad to see a UVA grad in the spotlight.
    Last edited by Lucy; 03-14-2004 at 10:30 PM.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

  4. #94
    FORT Fanatic davewfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milford, MI
    Age
    50
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by surfside
    http://www.readthehook.com/stories/2...arifPlays.html

    NEWS- Gaydar alert: Sharif plays it straight

    Published March 11, 2004 in issue #0310 of The Hook

    By COURTENEY STUART STUART@READTHEHOOK.COM

    The shows keep getting wackier, but that doesn't seem to deter a slew of locals who've signed up to immortalize their names in reality TV history.

    The latest to join the reality madness? UVA grad Sharif, a 25-year-old musician, actor, model-- and now a contestant on Fox's new reality show, Playing it Straight, airing Friday, March 12, at 8pm.

    He follows in the wake of Anse Clinard, an actor and Orbit Billiards bartender who was one of the first to be booted from The Bachelorette earlier this winter. Before that, a local couple, Eric Hurt and Kristin Cobb, put their love to the test in Temptation Island's third season, while back in 2001, third year UVA law student "Tempting Tom" Ritchie served as a "spoiler" on that show's first season.

    The mono-monikered Sharif, who prefers to keep his last name private, is no stranger to the spotlight. He released his first CD, Broken Light, in 2000 and followed it up with Kiss the Moon in 2002. His latest effort, Surrogate Lovers, an eclectic mix of folk, rock, even country, should be out sometime in April. Like his first two CDs, Surrogate features Richmond vocalist Regan, and this time Sharif also has some big names behind him: Whiskeytown's Mike Daly and ATO Records star David Gray play back-up. Sharif says he's hoping to hold a CD release party at Starr Hill, as he did for Kiss the Moon.

    In the meantime, however, Sharif fans can get their fix on Fox.

    The Playing it Straight concept is simple: Give a girl 14 hunks to choose from. Just as she's getting excited about her hot prospects, drop the bomb: Some of these guys are gay, and she'd better be able to eliminate them. If she picks a straight guy as her favorite match, the two of them will split a million dollar pot and maybe find love. If her "gaydar" is on the blink and she picks a homosexual, he takes the million and goes on his merry way, while she goes home alone and empty-handed.

    Oh, the drama!

    What was it like for him to live among 13 other guys whose sexuality he didn't know?

    "It got to be stressful," says Sharif, who's forbidden by contract to discuss his gender preference. No one had "any idea of who was real and who was not," he says, and back-stabbing and gossiping were rampant.

    Sharif-- who splits his time between Norfolk, D.C., and Charlottesville-- said at first he had no idea about the show's concept.

    He did an early interview with show producers in Virginia Beach and soon after was flown out to L.A.

    It wasn't until his first day on the set, a ranch in Elko, Nevada, that he and the other men learned their fate. But Sharif says he wasn't upset by the concept of having his sexuality highlighted on national TV.

    "I've never had any issue" with people's sexuality, he explains, "be it guys or girls, gays or straight."

    As on other reality shows, each episode ends with an elimination ceremony. On Playing it Straight, star Jackie sends two men she believes may be gay home each night. After her decision is made, each reveals his sexual preference.

    To ensure the show's outcome remained a secret, all the contestants were sequestered during the three-and-a-half-week shoot.

    Sharif says he's hoping attention generated by the show will help his music career and draw visitors to his website, sharifmusic.com. But he has no idea what the future holds.

    "Whatever happens, happens," he says. "I'm just ready for it to come out."

    Will Sharif "come out" too? We'll just have to watch and see.



    Straight or gay? Sharif tries to fly below the "gaydar" on Fox's Playing it Straight.
    PHOTO BY JEN FARIELLO

    #

    Interesting that he said...."at first he had no idea of the shows concept..." Wouldn't that mean he was straight? I would think the gay guys would definitely know!


    dave

  5. #95
    It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by davewfred
    Interesting that he said...."at first he had no idea of the shows concept..." Wouldn't that mean he was straight? I would think the gay guys would definitely know! dave
    I thought the same thing, Dave. As I understood it, the gay guys knew the concept of the show...but didn't know the identity of the other gay guys. And straight men were clueless (which has been my experience thoughout life...all straight men seem clueless )

    KC
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

  6. #96
    FORT Fanatic davewfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milford, MI
    Age
    50
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    I thought the same thing, Dave. As I understood it, the gay guys knew the concept of the show...but didn't know the identity of the other gay guys. And straight men were clueless (which has been my experience thoughout life...all straight men seem clueless )

    KC

    LOL...oh my gawd! you are a doll!!! funny too!


    dave

  7. #97
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    I thought the same thing, Dave. As I understood it, the gay guys knew the concept of the show...but didn't know the identity of the other gay guys. And straight men were clueless (which has been my experience thoughout life...all straight men seem clueless )

    KC
    Yup! That pretty much seals it. Sharif is straight.

  8. #98
    FORT Fanatic davewfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milford, MI
    Age
    50
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by heymikey
    Yup! That pretty much seals it. Sharif is straight.
    I think so!


    dave

  9. #99
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1
    I don't know he seems very complex and tricky to me, I could see him saying he had no idea to throw everyone for a loop. I think a lot of the "players" said they had no idea of the concept to keep it confusing. He might be straight, tough to call, the Playing It Straight site says he is a "mama's boy" and his favorite sport is miniture golf....hmmmmm.....I'm guessing bi.

  10. #100
    FORT Fan 101ethan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    300

    Wow....

    He's hot. I think he looks a bit like Justin from Big Brother.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.