+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 7/5 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: 7/5 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

A mutiny has always required the participation of the officers. Without the two officers agreeing to the mutiny it can't succeed.

On the other hand, any member on the Black Crew can sabotage the mission by simply holding the team back. It would be easy for the women to mutiny indirectly by throwing the treasure hunt. Unfortunately, no one is intelligent enough to have figured this out yet.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fogey

I don't watch the show faithfully, but since only the crew not the officers casts votes, they are in charge of when to mutiny. They were stupid tonight. They know the plans of the captain and his officers. They should of take mutiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2462431;
    It would be easy for the women to mutiny indirectly by throwing the treasure hunt. Unfortunately, no one is intelligent enough to have figured this out yet.
    Last night 2 of the 3 black spots went to women who had held back their teammates. I don't think any of the women would be in a hurry to try that now. Unless they could hide their lack of effort from the others.

I still don't understand whether the team must stick together and why they aren't working to sabotage the other team. (More "rules" we haven't heard about yet?)

LG.

I agree with Uncle David, that the way to get a new captain is for one of the women on the black team to blow the challenge so that red team wins and picks a new captain - a woman, if they aren't complete idiots, um, well, that's too much to ask. I was actually wondering if Joy wasn't really doing that last night, as she was completely stopping, as if begging the red team to catch up and pass them to get the Triad of Triteness out of power.

I remember from the first episode when Joe Don was captain and John was calling for mutiny that it was stated the officers had to agree with a mutiny vote, so that isn't a "change" in the rules. There is no way Jay and Ben are going to give up their free ride to the final three by voting to mutiny against Asmyth.

Joe Don made a shrewd observation that the men available to the red team are dwindling, and he and Louie wisely got past their earlier spat to figure out they have a common foe. But really, they need a woman on the black team to make sure the red wins in order to shift the power balance on this team. Maybe Joy was actually trying to do that, but not sooooo obvious that they'd hog-tie her and drag her through the challenge. When we're down to 6 pirates the black team will have only officers and the "non-officers" chance to throw it for black will have passed. We'll see if they are able to pull it off.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

LG.

sorry to double post, but does anyone else think that Joe Don put $12,000 on the Pardon to get that money to Nessa so that she can buy it from him next week, and then he will use the same money to buy it from her the week after, pretty much "blocking" anyone else from being able to use it? I know some others are starting to accumulate some loot, but very few of the pirates have enough booty to outbid that (without completely depleting their stash). If so, that is a shrewed move, and also one based on a "relationship" that may just be a showmance that either party may call off whenever it's inconvenient.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1964;2462449;
    ...They should of take mutiny...
    This has been discussed at length in other weekly threads. The officers have to agree to the mutiny before it can be accomplished. Since the two officers are not likely to agree to a mutiny, any overthrow of the Captain would have to be the result of an indirect mutiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks;2462618;
    I don't think any of the women would be in a hurry to try that now. Unless they could hide their lack of effort from the others.
    I didn't say women would have to instigate it. I was thinking more along the lines of Joe Don doing something about a mutiny rather than just whining about it. All he, or anyone else for that matter, would have to do is band together with four or five crew mates and set the plot in motion. If it's done as a group no one need fear the 'Black Spot'. The three officers would, more than likely, get the three spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks;2462618;
    I still don't understand whether the team must stick together...
    I don't recall any specific instructions about the group needing to stay together, but I doubt they would continue to wait for Joy to catch up if it wasn't required.

ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by LG.;2462631;
    I was actually wondering if Joy wasn't really doing that last night, as she was completely stopping, as if begging the red team to catch up and pass them to get the Triad of Triteness out of power.
    Joy has a history of not being able to keep up with the group. I doubt she was tying to subvert the mission. And frankly, I just don't see her having the ability to strategize that well.
    Last edited by Uncle David; 07-06-2007 at 10:29 AM.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

The problem with throwing a challenge to get the Captain out, is then you don't get any "loot". Sure a captain change would be nice, but you're really there for the money first and foremost. I guess one of the girls could make a deal with the other team to split their pot with one extra person for a regime change, but that is putting out a lot of trust. Perhaps Nessa and Joe Don can accomplish this.

If all of the crew mates agree to a mutiny, and the only obstacle is the officers, then an agreement to share the 'booty' equally should be no problem.

Well that darn "unanimous including the officers" rule makes the whole concept of Mutiny pretty useless.

I mean this isn't like Mr. Christian having to set Captain Bligh adrift. And even in that case, Bligh had 18 loyalists he took with him. There was no "unanimous" verdict.

Perhaps if this show ever dares come back for another season, a "Mutiny" can be sponsored by ANY one officer, who needs a simple 2/3rds majority of the total crew. That allows the possibility of people picking snakes in the grass as allies and later paying for it. The Mutiny sponsor becomes the new Cap'n if it succeeds. The old Cap'n is set adrift, and the other former Officer can either be retained by the new Cap'n, put back in the general population (and nominated as one of the possible booties the next time around if that really bothers the new Cap'n, and he or she survives the next contest intact as Captain).

Such a model would be far more in line with the whole "Mutiny on the Bounty" model, as well as actually making the twist relevant, instead of it being some vague possibility which is obviously never going to happen. The requirement for an Officer would introduce the need for a betrayal, which is not only good Reality show drama, but a balancing factor so its not TOO easy. But the need for 2/3rds instead of 100% of the rest of the crew (rounding up if the numbers don't work) also balances things the other way--making it actually possible to use. At least until the stage when there aren't that many people left, where ALL of the rules obviously have to change anyway.
    Last edited by Krom; 07-06-2007 at 02:38 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

LG.

Krom - I like your idea much better. It gives the Officer a real dilemma. Stick with the Captain and keep your safe (but inferior to the Captain) position, or try to start a Mutiny in which you'd get to be Captain, but know that the other Officer and some others aren't going to like your choice and will be gunning for you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast