+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 6/14 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 6/14 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by nliedel;2441912;
    I liked it, at first, but now it's boring me with sameness and formual with so much pap, it could be baby rice cereal.

I nominate this as THE post of the week!

Louie doesn't bug me, but every time he laughs I can't help but think that's the only reason he was cast. Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahah ahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2442971;

The moment the shutter clicked you'd hear the tear in the fabric of the universe. I don't think any of us want that to happen. .
    I will be using this line - GREAT STUFF!!

FORT Regular

Uncle David--don't feel bad.

Nobody looks good in a sports bra.

Certainly not the um lady pirates on the Picton Castle.

But how about some overdone eye makeup instead?

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlingal;2443590;
    But how about some overdone eye makeup instead?
    OK! I could do that.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

This latest episode was a rather dramatic departure from the two that preceded it. It might even be enough to justify watching more.

I’d been eyeballing the show sub-forum in glance-by mode without stopping earlier in the day before the latest episode aired, wondering why anyone ought to bother viewing such a lame show in general and thinking that if they are paying the host any more than about $20 an episode they’re being far too generous as it doesn’t seem like he does anything to justify his existence.

That changed this last episode. From having nothing to offer, he stepped up and started participating in the experience. He went overboard in doing so, in my opinion, but it represented an improvement anyhow.

I’ll bet I wasn’t near to being the only one contemplating abandoning that ship of fools, and this episode viewed like TPTB picked up that communal bad vibe. Prior to seeing this episode, it seemed the ONLY thing there was to tune in to see was whether the numbskull pirates would oust Cap’t Joe Don in some way. But the show seemed different from the beginning. Oops. Wrong I am.

Not from the beginning. Prior to seeing what goes down in this episode, viewers must endure the fist shaking/curse generating 8 minutes or so of memory lane filler these cheapskates present of what occurred previously; the reason in my mind relating less to enlightenment and more to avoid paying a penny more than they need to for new content.

After the initial annoyance, things get entertaining quickly with the airing of some grievances by to this point unproductive slackers that I’ve noted need more work in the event I become Captain, and then a rather humorous moment when the pretend crew pretends to set the ship in motion to their next destination. Captain’s Officer Cheryl is shown enjoying the sights of others heaving to without doing anything herself and then her worthlessness is highlighted further as she’s shown again in observer mode with a voice over confessional moment speaking of all the work that has to be done and how tiring it is. Perfect moment for a product placement commercial along the lines of:

‘Eyes got weary from watching others work? There’s a Visine for that’

The ship gets to where it is going and the hostest with the leastest makes his appearance. I’ve read somewhere hereabouts that $500,000 goes to the ultimate Pirate Master, leaving another half million to be discovered as treasure, leading me to figure that somewhere along the line there’s going to be some surprise other than gold awaiting these treasure hunters judging by the booty found the previous two episodes. That thought provides a tiny bit of incentive to keep viewing.

The two teams pair off and happily just about everyone I care about possibly caring about ends up on the red team. No one on the black team tries to extort some goodies from the Captain as I’d wished they would, but once ashore and faced with getting their longboat over the sandbar into the inner waterway Alexis from the black (Captain’s) team zones out in a manner that may not aide the red team’s efforts, but it most assuredly doesn’t help her own. I don’t know what she was up to, beachcombing, attempting to hail a cab or contemplating her navel, but she sure as heck wasn’t lifting a finger to help. Didn’t even appear she was aware of the other’s existence. Perhaps she was on the lookout for the local Corona vendor, but whatever it was that she was up to, she clambered aboard that boat with a fresh target affixed to her back.

I figured at that point that the red team must have it made, but then thought about the preview showing the collapsing obstacle and began to sweat a bit. It had appeared to me in the preview clip that someone got buried under the obstacle. Considering the lackluster pirates available at the hiring hall when this show was cast, I started fretting that someone on the red team would get antsy and collapse the obstacle too early, burying part of their own team in the process. This is NOT a positive faith-based show for me. I’m still certain these folks will let themselves and the viewers down, given half a chance.

My fears were ungrounded, it was the black team involved in the collapse. Got to give them Pirate Points for their effort, I was jeering them when they were shown entering even as it began collapsing, figuring that they’d just made a bad situation worse, but they’d not only hoofed it quickly enough to make up time and get there before the obstacle collapsed, but they managed to hold it up as they made their way through. Nicely done.

I get the impression that the black team is right on the heels of the red, and get concerned about them overtaking the red team, particularly when they get to the stream they need to cross. Much as I like her for no particular reason, I imagine Kendra slowing them down with her almost total lack of affinity with water. I can easily imagine her flailing about diverting their attention to her rather than the treasure. Were I there and she floundered, floating away down stream, I think I’d invest no more than a half of a bye-bye wave before getting refocused on the task at hand. There’s little room for the weak or sympathy for their demise in Pirateland.

The red team finds the treasure {Yippie!} and Louie is overjoyed. The show is only midway through and it already seems like more has occurred than in the two previous episodes [combined]. I’m happy along with the red team and their choice for new Captain strikes me as a reasonable choice. Initially, at least.

Azmyth deciding to share the booty equitably in equal shares has me pining for the return of Joe Don. What the heck is wrong with that fool? I had to step out for a moment and missed whether he managed to bamboozle his officers to go along with his overly gifting nature. I’d like to believe at least one of the two replied ‘Thanks but NO THANKS’ to his suggestion of divvying out their shares in the same way. You wanna give out more than the 200 bucks symbolic slap to the chops that Joe Don did, go for it. But equal division across the board? Makes him appear to be a master fool to me.

I will say that he didn’t seem remarkably foolish with the choices he settled on for receiving black marks, though did HE do the settling? Looks like Jay is the new master of the ship and he’s not at all reticent about making that fact crystal clear whenever an opportunity arises to verbalize he’s in full blown manipulation mode.

Like he did at Pirate’s Court.

What an expansion from earlier courts this one was. Part of that had to do with the change in Captain, but it appeared that anyone who wishes to insert some personal input was allowed to, more than I’d have expected; more than I believe should have been allowed.

Poor Alexis, she just didn’t sway me too much with her lame defense, but to be truthful, I just don’t like that wench. She appears to have been less than fortunately equipped with a permanent scowl on her face that I interpret as saying ‘Screw this, and #%@# YOU!’. She’d be my automatic favorite on ‘Who wants to be a sourpuss?’

Jay’s piping in to add why HE placed someone on the spot seemed rather blatantly transparent. I don’t know how they ultimately choose who wins this show, but he wants everyone on board to have no doubts that he’s pulling stings with gusto. I hope he gets what he deserves.

It makes absolutely no sense to me to be targeting the weak or lazy rather than contenders. The teams that compete so far are random, getting rid of the weak doesn’t strike me as being something that works in your favor on this show in the same manner it does at the early stages of Survivor. Some of these Pirates looked like they missed some lessons. Watching out for yourself above all else would appear to me to be the primary rule.

Saving someone that has given the impression of being willing, capable, or worse, both to go after you later in favor of targeting a non-threat instead is just plain foolhardy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2442927;
    I think you should send a picture and let us be the judges of that.

I am surprised at how comfortable the "pirates" are in the rigging. I haven't noticed a crow's nest or whether anyone has been in it.
    I noticed in last weeks show that they are wearing safety harnesses. The production crew is trying to get shots where you don't see it, but in some of them you can. And they showed Louie strapping something on and next thing, he is up in the rigging. So they are probably pretty comfortable because they know they aren't going to fall.

I don't think this ship has a crow's nest.
    I found it interesting reading the captain's log of the Picton Castle and what all they had to do for this show and none of it appeared to involve much actual sailing as it was more "positioning" for a better shot.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

First of all, let me just say I want to see a photo of UncleDavid in eye makeup and a sports bra!

Leftcoaster: I nominate you for Post of the Week!

I really have trouble watching this show. Except for the scenes of the lovely ship, there's not a lot there to keep me interested. I continually switch the channel or walk away to play with my kitts. I find them way more entertaining!

I think the pirates all should abandon ship...it's already sinking!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Too bad it's not like Idol with an audience vote, and the ones we vote off would have to walk the plank!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;2444091;
    Too bad it's not like Idol with an audience vote, and the ones we vote off would have to walk the plank!
    Would that include hungry sharks swimming underneath???
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread