+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 6/7 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 6/7 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Okay... I'm noticing something. Anytime someone brings up mutiny that person will be cast out.

Maybe they should get a whole group of people to solidly vote on mutiny before bringing it up to the vote.

At least they finally got to some snakes. Last week I feared they had rid the entire island of them. Then once the black team set up the compass, they didn't trust it and searched willy-nilly. Huh?

I really thought JD would turn into a competent captain; but reducing crew rations to gruel was the dumbest stunt he could have pulled. Maybe he didn't realize that those hungry people would weaken when he needed them strong for the challenge. Just dumb. And that's not even talking about keeping the crew happy so that if you do win the challenge they won't talk mutiny. Actually it is really only Louie at this point (also the first show) who is the biggest talker. It was also VERY dumb to call out his first mate as receiving extra cash from him. Big Target. Now neither officers nor crew will trust the guy with confidences.

Jon Don is not a leader. I might have voted for mutiny and installed Christian as captain if I could believe his promise of better crew conditions. Obviously, the crew thought he was talking to the wind and stayed with Jon Don.

It was fun to see Kendra enjoy standing on the rigging during the sail. I enjoyed it with her. The one to watch is Asmuth (sp) - dreadlock guy with the scuptured face beard. He did a leadership task by flying under the radar and not showing overt emotion (such as Louie) when he didn't get credit or extra cash for finding both the chest and the treasure. Another Jon Don mistake. He should have rewarded Asmuth with money and extra rations.

I hope Red Team wins next week because it is time to switch up the leadership roles. As long as Louie doesn't get elected captain, that is.

FORT Regular

I'm still really meh about the show--can't identify or identify with any of the players except for the woman who enjoys standing on the masts.

I am however totally in love with the ship and I'll be watching the Picton Castle while I do my weightlifting.

And dream of sailing as part of her crew.

Couldn't look away and watched it. I must have too much time on my hands.

I found this ep a tad better than the last. The establisment of a Cook and, in particular a Bosun, put an interesting element into it. It also didn't seem quite as scripted. Still cheesy, though.

Just watched the last ep's "Pirate's Court" again and there was no mention of the Officer's having to be in on a mutiny for that to occur. The host refered to a unanimous decision being required, but he was refering to only the crew of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2433406;
    .... Unless he was a Boats (I had to crack up at the way they completely misused that term) ....
    Not sure which term you're refering to, but were I work he got it mostly correct. At first he said he wanted Jay to be his "Chief Mate" (aka First Mate). Cheryl is the Chief Mate. He then refered to Ray as the "Bosun". Correct. Short for "Boatswain".
    Ben is the Second Mate.
    But I understand it is relative to the type of ship and/or part of the marine industry/life one is involved with. If I'm not mistaken, a Bosun in the cruise ship industry is an entry level deckhand. It no doubt depends on the nation one is working out of as well.
    I think, however, with an historical Barque such as the Picton Castle, he got it right.
    Last edited by Tribal Speak; 06-08-2007 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Typo

FORT Fanatic

Well, I am enjoying the show but it is bad. It's too bad they have to have a unanamous vote for a mutinty, maybe it should have been a majority because they will never get it otherwise. I'm really dislike JD as Captain, he is so greedy keeping all the money and food for himself. But, the cut adrift anyone who goes against him. Sad.

Does anyone believe those snakes wererelly harmful? What a liability that would have been. I can just see the lawsuits, regardless of any disclaimer forms they signed.

So far, this is entertaining, I just hope a new captain comes about soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak;2433731;
    Not sure which term you're refering to, but were I work he got it mostly correct. He then refered to Ray as the "Bosun". Correct. Short for "Boatswain".

If I'm not mistaken, a Bosun in the cruise ship industry is an entry level deckhand. It no doubt depends on the nation one is working out of as well.
    I think, however, with an historical Barque such as the Picton Castle, he got it right.
    He is prior Navy and he originally called him a Boatswain's Mate (or BM.. I am also prior Navy). A Boats is basically a deckhand on a Naval vessel and that was why I giggled because he probably meant Bosun but he said boatsmate. Then again, his grammar and dictation are so horrendous that he could have said Bosun and it sounded like Boatswain's Mate. If he had meant to call him a Boats then the role he assigned him was completely off because they are not the liaison or anything like what he was telling him which I can see him doing that too because he is arrogant and thinks he is better, smarter, than the rest of them and would assign him the wrong title on purpose.

Technically, the are ALL Boats (the crew) at this point and to give that title to just one... well again.. it made me laugh at him (JD).

That's exactly the reason I laughed. A Boats in the Navy (or a Boatswain's Mate) is a deckhand, granted they perform a vital role on the ship however they are not liaisons and to give that title to him when technically they are all Boats was either stupid (and once again made me wonder just how much Naval experience JD truly has) or arrogant of him (which I can see him doing this since he does think he is better/smarter than the rest of them).

I was in the Navy for 5 years and my husband has been in 8 and will be retiring from the Navy, I just shake my head every time I hear JD commenting on how his prior Navy experience makes him such a good sailor. Sure...if you were in the Navy in the 1800s!
    Last edited by MissThing; 06-08-2007 at 08:30 AM.

FORT Fogey

I like this show. Survivor is getting old for me and this is a breath of fresh air.

I don't understand why they did not mutiny and it made no sense to set Christian adrift. If Jay was concerned that he did not have his back then go to him and make a deal. It seemed a foolish choice but we were not privy to all that went down. Keeping two weak women did not seem wise.

It is insane for this captain to use the Navy as his model. Sailors do not mutiny in the military! Huge difference.

I am stumped as to why they did not mutiny, now, when they have the numbers. Makes no sense. Can someone shed some light on this, please. I may be missing something.

I think the reason the vote went against Christian (sorry to see him go) was a combination of Jay lobbying against him (for the silly reason of carrying the lug if he were hurt) and Christian pissing off his teammates in the snake pit.

The reason I said it would never be unanimous is cuz the JD snake figured out how to buy off at least one vote, Jay's.

No reason at the moment to vote off the strong guys if the teams are being chosen at random.

I don't see this as Survivor so much as the boardroom antics from The Apprentice.

I don't recall anyone commenting that this time the opening credits showed all the contestants. We didn't have that at the beginning of the first episode.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;2433814;
    I like this show. Survivor is getting old for me and this is a breath of fresh air.

I don't understand why they did not mutiny and it made no sense to set Christian adrift. If Jay was concerned that he did not have his back then go to him and make a deal. It seemed a foolish choice but we were not privy to all that went down. Keeping two weak women did not seem wise.
    Makes perfect sense; eliminate the competition and keep the weak who can't beat you physically and who are too mentally scared of you to oppose you.

It is insane for this captain to use the Navy as his model. Sailors do not mutiny in the military! Huge difference.
    Beg to differ, check out this article about problems strikes and sabotage aboard US ships. Mutiny, Fragging and Desertions in U.S. Military « Sovereignty Rules !

I am stumped as to why they did not mutiny, now, when they have the numbers. Makes no sense. Can someone shed some light on this, please. I may be missing something.
    Better the dumbass you know than a new one who could be worse. Typical reaction in groups.

Some may also be playing a waiting game.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Perhaps the reason they didn't mutiny was because they didn't think they'd be able to get rid of Christian if he became captain. I doubt they're really looking for someone to share the money equally; rather, they're probably all trying to figure out how to get the lion's share.

+ Reply to Thread