+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 5/31 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

MRD

Re: 5/31 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Pyke;2426540;
    So, I was split on who I wanted to go... the one who went, or the other guy up to be voted off. I'm glad who went went. He was a strong player though, but way too cocky and wasn't smart in playing the game... the Captain amde a WONDERFUL speech on how he didn't need him. (Sad part is, I knew the stuff too... am I a geek?)
    No, you're not a geek. Both me and my husband both said at the same time: "they don't need compasses to tell which way to go you can do it by the sun and the stars". I guess that makes us geeks too.

But I loved that the Captain called John's bluff on the compasses. You could see Scientist/Exotic Dancer didn't think of that and was upset. What exactly is a scientist/Exotic Dancer?

He seemed too much like a Chris Angel wannabe and a bad one at that.

Hubby and I have a bet on how long before they all get blisters on their hands. Pulling rope and rowing boats is hard on soft hands that have not seen hard work. My guess is that Louis and maybe Joe Don are the only ones that might have calluses on their hands and won't suffer too badly.
    Hemp rope is rough on the hands and if they are actually having to sail this ship longer than the tv shots show, then they are going to have some nasty looking hands before too long and some hurting ones.
    Last edited by MRD; 06-04-2007 at 09:17 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar

Glad to see Mr. Cock-sure gone. Buh-bye.

I think Myrosiegirl is right. These folks are gonna hae to put on their big-girl panties and deal with some serious hardships.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;2429122;
    It wasn't used on the show. It's just a term I use that I first read on FORT. Sorry I can't remember who I picked it up from, as it is so descriptive
    I think the term totally describes the crew so hopefully I will use it on ocassion. Thanks for the response.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2429221;
    No, you're not a geek. Both me and my husband both said at the same time: "they don't need compasses to tell which way to go you can do it by the sun and the stars". I guess that makes us geeks too.

But I loved that the Captain called John's bluff on the compasses. You could see Scientist/Exotic Dancer didn't think of that and was upset. What exactly is a scientist/Exotic Dancer?

He seemed too much like a Chris Angel wannabe and a bad one at that.

Hubby and I have a bet on how long before they all get blisters on their hands. Pulling rope and rowing boats is hard on soft hands that have not seen hard work. My guess is that Louis and maybe Joe Don are the only ones that might have calluses on their hands and won't suffer too badly.
    Hemp rope is rough on the hands and if they are actually having to sail this ship longer than the tv shots show, then they are going to have some nasty looking hands before too long and some hurting ones.
    There is a big difference navigating on land vs sea and regardless of a person's book knowledge I seriously doubt any of the sheeple on this crew could actually navigate either way using a compass. Jon Don's speechs while a good come back is not backed any real world experience navigating through a rain/desert island forest, where by the way I would think the stick method would not work well in the shade of the trees and I would love to see him try to walk a straight line in the undergrowth. Unless all these folks are experienced marine navigators and or experienced outdoorsmen they are totally screwed as far as navigation goes.

I didn't think it was overcast so much as all the camera lights would have made it impossible to see any starts. (Sort of like the groundhog always seeing his shadow because it is always surrounding by camera lights.)

The most unrealistic part of it to me was the relatively spacious crew quarters. Or do I misunderstand how cramped crew quarters are likely to be on a ship like that?

So far I think this must be a relatively difficult show to film. The scene where what'shisname lost his shoe in the mud? The camera crew has to make it through there and ahead of all the contestants. And what about the bugs? Aren't there any bugs in the tropics?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2429309;
    There is a big difference navigating on land vs sea and regardless of a person's book knowledge I seriously doubt any of the sheeple on this crew could actually navigate either way using a compass. Jon Don's speechs while a good come back is not backed any real world experience navigating through a rain/desert island forest, where by the way I would think the stick method would not work well in the shade of the trees and I would love to see him try to walk a straight line in the undergrowth. Unless all these folks are experienced marine navigators and or experienced outdoorsmen they are totally screwed as far as navigation goes.

I doubt any of this crew has the experience, but there are ways to navigate on land in thick rain forest. The army teaches such a class in Panama called Jungle Warfare Training. The graduation test is being dropped in the middle of the rainforest with a knife (no compass, no food, no water and no map) for 3 days. If you make it to the place you're supposed to be and have been able to feed yourself, you get to graduate.

And remember that people were navigating woods and forests for thousands of years without the aid of compasses. It can be done if you know how to do it. And you can also avoid the common trait of walking in a circle.

Like I said, I doubt this group can do it though as you have to really pay attention to what's going on around you and I doubt any of them would know the skills or have the attention span to pay the attention to detail needed. And like you said, even HAVING a compass doesn't necessarily mean they could navigate well using it. None seem especially bright, but who knows.

But I thought it was RICH that Joe Don took the wind out of compass stealers sails with the fact that it can be done and he "knew" how to do it. "we don't need no stinkin' compass, stripper boy!"
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2429537;
    I doubt any of this crew has the experience, but there are ways to navigate on land in thick rain forest. The army teaches such a class in Panama called Jungle Warfare Training. The graduation test is being dropped in the middle of the rainforest with a knife (no compass, no food, no water and no map) for 3 days. If you make it to the place you're supposed to be and have been able to feed yourself, you get to graduate.

And remember that people were navigating woods and forests for thousands of years without the aid of compasses. It can be done if you know how to do it. And you can also avoid the common trait of walking in a circle.

Like I said, I doubt this group can do it though as you have to really pay attention to what's going on around you and I doubt any of them would know the skills or have the attention span to pay the attention to detail needed. And like you said, even HAVING a compass doesn't necessarily mean they could navigate well using it. None seem especially bright, but who knows.

But I thought it was RICH that Joe Don took the wind out of compass stealers sails with the fact that it can be done and he "knew" how to do it. "we don't need no stinkin' compass, stripper boy!"
    As a speech and a comeback it was great. But again in all reality I doubt if Jon Don could navigate his way out of a paper bag. Also the directions given on the maps were turn right at the fork, turn left a the whatits. The producers are not going to complicate the issue by making the course too hard. But I would be laughing by ass off if in the next challenge the crews would be asked to navigate using a compass and got totally lost. BTW John did take the compasses???? I hope????

Seeing as the crew appeared tanked or toasted (or possibly just inexplicably exuberant), I figured that the cast member TBA is likely Booze, and that it'll play a large role in this show appearing more Big Brotherish than anything else.

The mutiny protocol was lazily described, two groups being told two different things. I'd prefer that only one of the captain's henchmen or henchwenchwomen had to vote to mutiny for it to occur; requiring both to vote for mutiny seems too high a threshold seeing as its ordinarily serves their fiscal self interests to stick with their man and get a bigger share of the booty than they otherwise might.

Looks like someone could get easily hurt on that boat, I didn't notice protective lines for those up in the rigging, and like others I was waiting for some sad sack to impale themselves on the voting blade.

When they went looking for the hanging skeleton on the boat, I could just imagine someone says "Ohh there's the cameramen! It must be over there!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2428386;
    I like the term sheeple. I must have missed who started using it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;2429122;
    It wasn't used on the show. It's just a term I use that I first read on FORT. Sorry I can't remember who I picked it up from, as it is so descriptive
    Sheeple: (according to the Urban Dictionary...)
    People unable to think for themselves. Followers. Lemmings. Those with no cognitive ablilities of their own.

+ Reply to Thread