+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 5/31 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 5/31 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2427636;
    The pay for seamen was pitiful. Usually the profit from a voyage was divided into thirds. The owners and agents kept a third, another third paid for maintenance of the ship, and the remainder was split by the captain and crew. The captain's share might be a tenth, or a sixteenth, while a crewman could get one-two hundredth or one-two hundred and twenty-fifth.
    I remember studying Moby Dick in college and having it pointed out that the pitifully small percentage they signed up for was meant to show how avaricious and cunning the owners were and how naive Ishmael & Queequeg were. They thought the higher number at the bottom of the fraction meant they would be earning a lot!

In today's terms, I cannot believe the sheeple did not rise up in revolt when that jerk JD did not share the money more equally. We are not used to being treated that way, and I'm surprised they would stand for it. But then again, bullying "alpha" types really rub me the wrong way. Maybe others aren't bothered by being pushed around, as hard as it is for me to witness or understand.

Here is my theory. Just as I heard Jeff Probst say on Ellen one time that they based Survivor in part on Nash's game theory, I really wonder if they didn't base this pirate show in part on the Stanford prison experiment (Google it). Put people in superior and inferior positions, and the ones in charge (such as the "prison guards" or the "ship's officers") will start abusing the "underlings" even though in real life they are all equals. And the underlings will take the abuse! That is why I liked John (plus he DID win the challenge for them!) and that Rupert-seeming guy. They were the only ones with the backbone to raise any objections. Too bad the majority of sheeple will always cut down the people with backbones.
    Last edited by Harvest; 06-02-2007 at 07:57 PM.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omar_X;2427706;
    I didn't even know about this show until I just happened to stumble across it as I was setting up the DVR for the evening. So far, I'm failing to see much difference between it and Survivor, besides the fact the island has sails and moves around. I don't really know where to start, so I offer the following observations and suggestions.
    • I do like the idea of everyone having a shot at getting paid something as the show progresses. It allows lots of plot wiggle room for things like bribes, buying necessities that are in short supply (like cigarettes, eye liner and chest/back shaving razors), trade with unexpected natives, bribing Saturday Night Live to please don't do a sketch about it just yet, etc. Even if someone decides to hold onto all his/her money, the losers likely will not walk away empty handed.
    • They should all pitch in a buy the conspicuously missing parrot.
    • Every time someone says "Aaaargh!" they should be fined and/or flogged for up to and including three offenses. On the fourth offense they should be keel-hauled.
    • Cast lots to see who is going to take one for the team and get a real peg leg and/or hook hand. It's not a pirate show without it, people!
    • I'm something of a history buff. I have to confess complete ignorance of the ubiquitous pirate eyeliner. Pireyeliner?
    • More grog = better drama, please.
    • I also was unaware of the 1730's custom of the Mike Tysonesque, "what the hell is that thing coming out of the corner of your eye", Deep Space 1, temporary, face tattoos.
    • I was delighted that Stripper John - Master of the Banana Hammocks, Scientist (huh?), and probable Brain surgeon, was the first to be set adrift.
    • Since the silly factor is already so high, why the set adrift thing? They should have to walk the plank.
    • I don't know which was stupider, Stripper John's ill conceived attempt to coerce the crew into keeping him by kidnapping the compasses (like in real life they wouldn't have swarmed him, gutted him and used him as fish bait to catch their breakfast); or Capt. Long John Silver's (can't remember his real name) cagey claim of celestial navigation mastery before he realized it was a nearly overcast night.
    • Why isn't Long John Silver's a sponsor?
    • If it is allowed under the game rules for Stripper John to pull such a bone headed stunt as taking hostage all the ship's compasses, why can't someone else just steal all the loot after a few competitions, escape in a longboat under the cover of darkness, and call it a day?

Over all I thought it was off to a weak start, but I'll give it a chance. I'm smelling rancid cheese already, matie, and it ain't coming from the galley. Aaaargh?
    From my brain to your fingertips! Excellent post and I agree.
    John floating out on the semi-sinking door was the tear jerking belly-laugh for me!

But I'll continue to watch this, how can I stop now?!

Pireyeliner?
    No, Ayeeeeeliner matey!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I like the term sheeple. I must have missed who started using it first. Was it John???
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I think this is one reality show I won't get addicted to. With So You Think You Can Dance having started and Top Chef and Big Brother soon to start, my reality plate will be full.
    B A L A N C E
    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
    and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis
    "what if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie" --e.e. cummings

When I watched the premiere I kept wondering what music they were using it sounded so familiar. Well, USA showed Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl last night and I realized that Pirate Master is using the music from POTC. Am I right?? It sure sounds the same.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2428582;
    When I watched the premiere I kept wondering what music they were using it sounded so familiar. Well, USA showed Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl last night and I realized that Pirate Master is using the music from POTC. Am I right?? It sure sounds the same.
    I haven't paid that much attention to the music, but since this is a FOX show looking for someone to work with Dreamworks, & POTC is ABC/Disney I doubt that they are using the same music. Especially considering the History between Disney/Eisner & Dreamworks/Katzenberg. But, I reckon stranger things have happened.

JR.

I just got around to watching this, and I can't believe how ridiculously cheesy it is

It definitely feels scripted in some parts, especially the dialog at the Tribal Counsel Pirate Court. I had a hard time believing this was a real show, it seemed like a spoof with the contestants reading lines, badly.

The host needs to stop trying to be Phil, and they need to explain the captaincy rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Omar_X;2427706;
    [*]They should all pitch in a buy the conspicuously missing parrot.
    A pirate parrot would require too much censorship.

More grog = better drama, please.
    Then we would have to endure comparisons to The Bachelor.

Stripper John's ill conceived attempt to coerce the crew into keeping him by kidnapping the compasses (like in real life they wouldn't have swarmed him, gutted him and used him as fish bait to catch their breakfast)
    I thought the same thing, but reality shows all seem to have the regrettable clause about non-violence to fellow contestants. It would be interesting to see if there is a loop hole to that once they are evicted, roseless, get the hook, pack up their knives, get Philiminated, or the tribe or America has spoken.

Just when I think it's safe to call myself bi-lingual because I understand slang, I'm faced with my own ignorance. I'm not getting the "cheesy" references made about this show anymore than understanding why someone would be called "G?" (goofball, gooniebird?) Every reality show has its formula and pat lines that distinguish it. Let's be reasonable folks. We are watching a show about pirates. How realistic do we want it to be?

Wasn't it explained that the only way to get a different captain is by mutiny and that takes a unanimous vote? That doesn't change the rule that whoever is captain still gets half of the booty. The previews shows Captain Don Ho offering one of the crew money to be his eyes and ears. Smart move that not only keeps him in the know, but pretty much eliminates all chance of his being ousted.

The distribution of treasure is based on Pirate Rules according to the host. Pirate captains kept their position and life by fear (difficult here because all he can do is mark them for a one way trip on a sinking piece of wood), respect (this is where cunning is an asset) and his ability to lead them successfully to financial gain.
    Last edited by dberk; 06-03-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;2428741;
    Wasn't it explained that the only way to get a different captain is by mutiny and that takes a unanimous vote?
    Not exactly. It was explained that the Captain can be eliminated via a mutiny, instead of the marked crew members. But, having that be the only way to change captains doesn't make much sense to me.

The teams have not be permanently divided into Red and Black. So, each 'adventure', they get divided up again. If the Captain is not on the side that gets to the treasure, it doesn't make sense that he remains Captain. Although the miserable excuse for a human being that is the Captain now did seem to feel he is in like Flynn (pardon the pun).
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2428386;
    I like the term sheeple. I must have missed who started using it first. Was it John???
    It wasn't used on the show. It's just a term I use that I first read on FORT. Sorry I can't remember who I picked it up from, as it is so descriptive

+ Reply to Thread