+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 5/31 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 5/31 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by user name;2426416;
    Since this is the show that will probably replace Survivor, let's hope it doesn't suck (like Survivor has lately).
    I thought the last Survivor was the best in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2426479;
    So they vote people off one by one? How are they going to sail the ship with just a few people?
    Everytime someone leaves the ship magically shrinks to accomodate fewer.

Quote Originally Posted by toasty;2427279;
    Any clue how the Captain thing works? Is JD Captain until there's a mutiny and he's thrown off? Or will there be some other mechanism for other folks to rotate in as captain?
    I expect there will be a new captain each week because it would benefit the storyline twists for the cocky Joe Don to be blindsided.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy van Pelt;2426545;
    Wow, Joy is only 22? (I was reading the bios). She looks much older. I was guessing her about 34-36.
    It's all that throwing up at sea that aged her so quickly.

FORT Fogey

I can't decide if I would rather there be ONE Captain or a new captain week. I think I'd rather see a captain be mutinied, but thennoone would want to become Captain!

FORT Regular

I was distracted by some real world situations while I was trying to watch--so what came through most strongly for me was the Cheesiness Factor--which seems very high.

The other thing that came through was the seemingly continual intrusions of the host. Just when I'd start to get into the idea of 'stranded on the high seas'--there he was with more rules and fakey "pirate" talk.

I'll give it at least two more weeks because the ship is gorgeous and so are the shots of the island and the sea.

And maybe by then I'll have learned who some of the contestants are and I'll care for them as individuals instead of just seeing them as Survivor rejects/wannabes.

Btw--if you've ever been in a Cypress Swamp you know just how well the unearthliness of it came through in the camera work--as well as the odd claustraphobia that envelopes you in such a unique place.

Very good camera work on that. As a matter of fact right now it seems the camera work is what I enjoyed the most and may be the major reason I keep tuning in each week.

Quote Originally Posted by Aota Bass;2426985;
    What bugged me was that the editors/producers didn't even give me a chance to learn at least half of the cast's names! It was like there were all these extras running around in the background, and how was I supposed to care about any of them?

No opening credits naming them, no pre-show interviews with flashbacks of them in "real" life, not even the host listing off everyone's names as the camera panned to each of their faces--even when they were divided into teams we didn't get a chance to hear "Jon is on the red team!" for each of them!!!

I feel the same way about all of these reality tv competition shows. No matter how extreme the challenges/destinations/photoshoots are, no matter how beautiful the contestants, no matter how many twists and turns the producers throw at the contestants... what makes great TV are the personalities and relationships of PEOPLE as they encounter these challenges/twists. If I don't care about the people, I don't care about the show.

I think this show has some potential, but I was really disappointed with the premiere episode. They just jumped right into the show without giving us a chance to get to know the contestants or the rules of the game.
    I'm disappointed with the lack of opening credits too. I rather like the way Big Brother does the opening credits. They show all the houseguests, but show the ones who have been evicted walking out the door. So the credits change every week and you get a mini-refresher too.

As for not knowing the rules of the game, do you think they may want us to learn along with the pirate crew ? I mean they all learned they had to choose a Captain, and then about the Captain's greater share of the Treasure ... and the losing red team Pirates learned that from the "demoted" black team crew.

I am presuming that the teams will always be by lot and the winners always will get to choose the Captain, and the Captain his officers, but when the crew is smaller, possibly only one officer, and eventually individual challenges with the winner becoming the Captain.

I think JD became Captain and John got cut adrift because nobody knew the rules, so I'm wondering if the rules are going to keep changing. I also think this will be much more ruthless a game as compared to Survivor.

Is it also that the person with the most "treasure" at the end becomes the Pirate Master ? What happens to the Treasure when someone gets cut adrift ? Do they keep it ? Can they use it to buy their safety ?

We don't know the rules and I just suspect they set it up this way.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2427384;
    I'm disappointed with the lack of opening credits too. I rather like the way Big Brother does the opening credits. They show all the houseguests, but show the ones who have been evicted walking out the door. So the credits change every week and you get a mini-refresher too.

As for not knowing the rules of the game, do you think they may want us to learn along with the pirate crew ? I mean they all learned they had to choose a Captain, and then about the Captain's greater share of the Treasure ... and the losing red team Pirates learned that from the "demoted" black team crew.

I am presuming that the teams will always be by lot and the winners always will get to choose the Captain, and the Captain his officers, but when the crew is smaller, possibly only one officer, and eventually individual challenges with the winner becoming the Captain.

I think JD became Captain and John got cut adrift because nobody knew the rules, so I'm wondering if the rules are going to keep changing. I also think this will be much more ruthless a game as compared to Survivor.

Is it also that the person with the most "treasure" at the end becomes the Pirate Master ? What happens to the Treasure when someone gets cut adrift ? Do they keep it ? Can they use it to buy their safety ?

We don't know the rules and I just suspect they set it up this way.
    Whatever treasure they find they get to keep. Which means the WINNER does NOT get 1 million dollars, only what he found. In essence, the winner could have always been on the losing team, and never got any money.

The cast keeps what they earn each week, which will total $500k, and then there is a lump $500k to the winner of the game at the end. So, assuming perfect circumstances, the most you could win is $750k (captain's half-share every week, and the $500k grand prize).

FORT Newbie

I was underwhelmed the first time I saw it, but i just rewatched it and kind of like it, kind of

+ Reply to Thread