+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SHARON BENNETT as Aretha Franklin / Episode 5

I heard Sharon Youngblood too. Well, either Bennett or Youngblood, this girl deserved her $200,000.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    It is Youngblood. I think they had it as Bennett on the site or something, hence the way I have it listed.

Anyhoo, she was wonderful. And not a professional entertainer like the other last two standing with her. Good for her getting the money for college and her family! I was quite thrilled.

Yay, i knew she'd win... she totally rocked!!!

Congrats, Sharon... well deserved win!!!!

Does anyone have a clip of the "Respect" performance? my sister desperately wants to see it, as she only watched last night's episode!!

Thanks

On Hiatus
    Yayayay! She won! Our Fox station at the motel we were in (which I will not call by name but let's just refer to it as the Crapaton...) was out so I missed the finale. If anyone wants to do a speedy recap-few sentences or so, I would be grateful. And this shouldn't be in this thread. Oops.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Speedy recap! LOL

Okay, so it started off with the producer's choice people coming back to perform. Let's see, we have the Freddie Mercury guy, Alanis, Justin Timberlake, Billy Joel, Tim McGraw and I think that was it. The Freddie Mercury guy won.

On to the finals. Frank did New York New York and was quite good. Barbra did "People". Tina did "Be Good To Me" (and was REALLY GOOD, in my opinion), Freddie did "We Are The Champions", Madonna did "Like A Virgin" (and it was abysmal) and Aretha did "Chain of Fools".

She got a ton of perfect 10's, so I think I was sure at that point she would win.

On Hiatus
    Hey! So Freddie did get to come back! Cool. He wasn't too bad.
    -The Joe Schmo Show

FORT Fogey
    Personally, I think the Frank Sinatra guy should have won over her. I mean, yeah, she had a VERY VERY VERY good voice, but I just think that the Frank Sinatra guy did better. I think that Frank Sinatra has more of a unique voice and is therefore harder to imitate. And this is totally JMO, but I think she partly got an edge over the guy because she was only 19. Oh well. I hope she does something good with that money

On Hiatus
    I think it depends on whether you're judging on the quality of their performance, or their ability to sound like a SPECIFIC star. Not having seen the finale, I can't weigh in on that.

And pinkie, thanks a lot for making me famished for chocolate cake.
    -The Joe Schmo Show

I agree Pinkie and think Brian Duprey as Frank was really terrific. However, a well trained singer can imitate Frank fairly easily. There are tons of Sinatra imitators out there, although Duprey is probably one of the better ones. While I don't think Sharon Youngblood sounded that much like Aretha, she does have an incredibly poweful voice. The Freddie Mercury imitator truly sounded like him and that is a very difficult singer to impersonate.

I think they gave it to Sharon just because her own voice was truly awe inspiring. I guess it might not have been how much you sound like the actual artist, but how well you project their image and this girl really did capture the spirit of Aretha on stage.

Frankly, I was rooting for Billy Joel since he played the piano and sang, too which is so much more difficult, but his second song was not nearly as strong as the first one he performed.

I think something is amiss with the bio posted by MajiH (I'm thinking it is a Fox problem) where they may have mixed up a Sharon Bennett with Sharon Youngblood because this girl has not graduated from college, she stated she wanted to use her winnings to pay for college, so that part of the bio is definitely in error. Bad, bad webmasters at Fox, lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast