+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lack of Media attention Re: PH Finale?

FORT Regular

Lack of Media attention Re: PH Finale?

Like many of you, I was kind of looking forward to the aftermath of the Finale in that I was hoping the Originals would at least get a smidgeon of their own medicine in the form of standing trial in the media.

Given the fact that most Reality show finales are followed by countless appearances, interviews, Gossip-program segments (like Entertainment Tonight, etc), I really thought that people like Toni and Amy would be thoroughly embarrassed by media personnel around the country when forced to explain what amounted to a mob mentality festered in illusionary entitlement and littered with hypocrisy.

Apart from the interviews on the BJ & Shannon show, which I thought were way to easy on the jerkoffs, there has basically been zero coverage of what transpired at PH, as well as the ridiculously insulting Ultimate Prize of 250 ballons to each winner going unquestioned.

In retrospect however, the absence of attention is still telling us something...that either PH wasn't as big of hit as we all made it out to be, or, most media outlets were so disgusted with the OG's behavior that they won't touch the likes of Toni or Amy with a 10 ft. pole. - remember any press is good press, and regardless of being made to look a fool, I'm sure Toni eats up whatever she can get...it's no surprise that she obviously 'acts' the way she does for attention. I think the reasons for lack of coverage is probably a combination of the aforementioned theories -

I guess I'm just a bit ticked that we really never got to see the OG's being 'called out' (as *they* liked to so often put it) - the closest we came to that was Keith and Holly's argument in the Hot tub the 2nd to last episode - he finally said what I've been wanting to say all along - although it was a shortened and subdued rendition, it still didn't justify the OG's yet again getting the final word in at the Finale -

My last remaining hope is a reunion show where the audience gets to 'call out' the hypocrites, although it seems as this too won't amount to anything more than circulating rumors on the FOX boards.

DCKT took their lumps for everything they did, right or wrong, now it should be someone else's turn to do the thumping...

FORT Fogey
    one thing to conisder was the show had decent rating but not great(the final only had about 9-10 million people watching)

FORT Fanatic
    The finale rating was horrible. For some reason, this show was a big "internet show". It had so much publicity online, but there weren't too many casual viewers. Its finale was equivalent to Cupid, and that didn't get much publicity afterwards either.

I think the show unearthefd some great characters.

Many of us had already "met" Toni, but it was good to know she was still in fine eye-bulging form.

I can see why there wouldn't be too many casual viewers.
    Imagine tuning in half way through the episode where the evictees returned as your first taste of the show, you'd think everyone was demented.

The twsts and turn were likely confusing to the casual viewer too.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I was really surprised there wasn't more press coverage myself esp. here in AZ. Half the dang cast is from AZ so you would think that it would be more of a buzz here but apparently not. I hear Andon and Toni are moving to AZ so they can be closer to their friends! INSANE!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by crackpot
    Like many of you, I was kind of looking forward to the aftermath of the Finale in that I was hoping the Originals would at least get a smidgeon of their own medicine in the form of standing trial in the media.

In retrospect however, the absence of attention is still telling us something...that either PH wasn't as big of hit as we all made it out to be, or, most media outlets were so disgusted with the OG's behavior that they won't touch the likes of Toni or Amy with a 10 ft. pole. - remember any press is good.

My last remaining hope is a reunion show where the audience gets to 'call out' the hypocrites, although it seems as this too won't amount to anything more than circulating rumors on the FOX boards.
    Crackpot makes several excellent points.

It made me think back and I dont seem to recall that much media hype for any 'Reality Shows' that aired on Networks other than the "Big Three" (ABC, CBS, NBC).

Even a show like "Joe Millionaire" - a show that had its share of post-show media attention - had most of the attention directed at the festish videos of one of its contestents, the antics of its butler and the empty headed good looks of its star and his underwear ads.

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but maybe it has something to do with some string pulling and pen directing. Lets not forget that the Networks tend to have their fingers in many pies.

I will give a prime exaple from my very own home town of Chicago.

* The Chicago Cubs are owned by the Chicago Tribune.
    * WGN TV and WGN Radio stations are owned by the Chicago Tribune.
    * The Chicago Cubs appear on WGN TV and radio.

So much for anti-trust laws LOL

Now, there have been many, many occassions where the Cubs had a dismal record and the White Sox were battling for first place. But more often than not, the lead headlines in the Tribune in September would be a full page story of a Cubs loss to another "also ran" team and a story about the White Sox winning would be burried three pages deeper. Gotta tow the company line first and foremost. This used to be a lot worse but with the White Sox also appearing on WGN in the last few years it has lessened somewhat. But the Cubs are still the favorite child. Which is fine by me as I am a lifelong Cubs fan. LOL

The point of this is, a lot goes on behind the scenes that we never know about.

Advertising rates - especially for new shows with no ratings history - are based upon the ratings numbers they achieve in their first few episodes.

Paradise Hotel's originally scheduled run was extended due to its popularity. This meant that the date of Paradise Hotel's finale ran on a date when many network shows were airing their "premier" or second episodes of the year. And even casual viewers or people who are only mildly interested in a show will watch a potentially heated finally.

The Networks probably didnt care much about any success PHO had during the summer as they were running re-runs anyway. But they certainly would not want any potential viewers turning away when they were premiering their new seasons. So maybe a few calls were made, a few stories put on the back burner...yada yada yada $$$$$$$ ka-ching.

By the way Crackpot, I would also love a reunion show too were the crowd could call the OG's out of their hypocrasy. Complete with jumbo-tron screens with all of the appropriate footage.
    Last edited by Daddio; 10-07-2003 at 11:03 AM.

I too have been incredibly upset by the lack of coverage. It looks like Canada got all of the rights for publicity after the fact. Unless you consider Dave and his brother's attempt to prolong Dave's 15 minutes in New York.
    I continue to pop in here hoping to find another interview with some of the final six at least, but find it to be empty. I think it is because there was no OG bashing after the fact. The Fab4 are proving that their anti-animosity campaign was not an act. Even when served up a wonderful opportunity to take a pot shot at one of the bigger losers of the show (Toni, Amy, Zackass, Andon, etc.), they just shrug it off. Therefore, there is nothing newsworthy about this cast of characters. They are trying to make Charla's "greed" to be a huge scandal, but because Dave refuses to make an issue out of it out of his undying devotion to Charla, it's pretty much been dropped. Keith admonishing her for suggesting that Dave would not have shared the money with her was wimpy at best. I would not look forward to a WWF-like reunion with this cast, because the Fab4 won't play that game.

FORT Regular
    Good points - you guys are probably right - even if there were to be a reunion show, it might be anti-climactic - although there is always the off-chance that after the Fab4 were able to view the episodes at home they might return a little more ticked off.

I think as of the Finale, the Fab4 were the only ones who hadn't seen the episodes at that point.

Daddio - I agree with you whole-heartedly - I think we would probably agree on a lot of things in the political spectrum (or lack thereof) as well - I've always said that this country isn't divided by left and right, but up vs down.

Funnygirl - I too have been checking back in here periodically for post Finale interviews, only to find hardly anything (prompting this post).

Hug me!
    Let it goes.. This show is over and done with. IMO, Charla did 100 times much worse than all of the OGs combined.
    "Charla is intelligent and beautiful and I just felt really stupid for picking ... for, you know... liking someone that wasn't available really.. certainly not to me." Quote from Dave (Paradise Hotel).

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenFan#205
    Let it goes.. This show is over and done with. IMO, Charla did 100 times much worse than all of the OGs combined.
    Ruben,

Some of us might still enjoy what lingering conversation is still left here and if you want to partake the more the merrier, however I think most of us can do without the "move on" - "let it go" attitude when in fact you yourself are contributing to the conversation.

If you are done with the show then simply don't read/post - but don't criticize us for still talking about it when you are here doing the same thing, that would be hypocritical.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast