+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lack of Media attention Re: PH Finale?

'Paradise Hotel' goes global
    13:05 BST, Tuesday 7th October 2003 -- by Neil Wilkes
    The format to FOX's breakthrough summer hit Paradise Hotel has been sold to ten countries around the world.

The show - which puts eleven young singles in an exclusive resort and encourages them to "hook up or go home" - was originally lined up for an eight-week stint on FOX but strong ratings in the key 18-49 demographic ensured an extension by six weeks.

The new deals mean the programme will be seen internationally in countries such as Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, Korea, Singapore and South Africa.

FOX has yet to comment on whether it will return for a second run later this season.
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Dave Punked Out in Paradise
    by Lauren Kane

The nail-biting season finale of Fox's Paradise Hotel was full of surprises, but none more eye-popping than Charla's final decision: Faced with $250,000 in prize money, she opted not to split it with her kindly roommate, Dave. Nope, she kept it all for her greedy self. Huh? That Barbie girl would never have made it to the final four without him! Alas, the 26-year-old may've flown back to Boston sans the cash or the girl but he does get props for loyalty.

As Dave tells TV Guide Online: "I would have split the money with Toni if she was my final partner, if she had, in any way, helped me get to the end. I think almost everyone there would have split the money."

That's doubtful, considering Paradise's pit of vipers. Don't forget, Toni mercilessly teased and taunted Dave about his appearance. (Hey, so what if the dude has large ears!) Anyway, it had to sting when Dave's crush refused to share the quarter mil. "Was I hurt that I didn't get it?" he shrugs. "Yes. But did Charla win the prize fair and square? Absolutely. Did she owe me anything out of obligation? No."

Had he won, Dave says: "The only question would have been, would I give her half or would I give her the whole thing." Yikes! This boy's been in the sun too long. But we don't mean in Las Vegas. Despite Tara and Keith's offer to take the all guests on vacation, the Paradise Hotel gang has not reunited in Sin City since the show wrapped.

If asked back, would Dave return to Paradise for its second season? "As a contestant, absolutely not," he laughs. "I'm thinking on-screen therapist."

============================== ===========================

This is the third or fourth time I've seen Dave hint at returning next season as something other than a contestant... I wonder if he already has a deal, or if he's just trying to drum up interest to support a proposal to FOX down the road...

Probably the lack of media attention is because they are going to bring some of the people back next time. You think?

FORT Fogey
    [QUOTE] FOX has yet to comment on whether it will return for a second run later this season. [QUOTE]

Gee...I wonder who it was that wrote the script for lovely Hostess Amanda by which she said something to the effect of "Now for the biggest twist yet..." and the screen flashed a "To Be Continued Next Season" at the end of the PH-I finale episode if they werent committed to a PH-II.

FOX has been so shameless in so many ways with this show that it doesnt surprise me that they are still trying to hide their hole cards.

Unless by that comment they mean to imply that they are considering re-running PH-I a second time.

Sure why not? They only paid out $500K in prize money and took in a gazzillion dollars in advertising money. Pretty good profit margin there. Why not re-run it a second time and make two gazzillion dollars? Its better than running an episode of "Wanda at Large".
    Last edited by Daddio; 10-07-2003 at 03:56 PM.

Hug me!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayla_love
    Probably the lack of media attention is because they are going to bring some of the people back next time. You think?
    god no.. what part of "checking out Paradise Hotel forever" doesn't Fox understand ?

However. .it would be interesting.. if they get a whole new casts of guests to start with and have previous Paradise Hotel 1 OGs check in one by one as new guest.. role reversal.. now that's interesting.. hehe

The new fab 4.. Amy, Zack, Toni and Andon..
    "Charla is intelligent and beautiful and I just felt really stupid for picking ... for, you know... liking someone that wasn't available really.. certainly not to me." Quote from Dave (Paradise Hotel).

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by jayla_love
    I have said in a previous thread that they are likely to consider bringing Dave back as he was the sole member of the "Fab Four" that walked away empty handed (post-show success not withstanding).

Sort of like the Bachelor and Bachelorette do. Bring back the first runner up to be a contestent. Or better yet, to be the host. Amanda was lovely and all but lets face it, she didnt exactly add anything to the show (other than a mole) did she? I would love to see Toni as the host. Imagine the eye-bulging reaction shots alone as she watched the room-mate selections unfold and her jaw dropping looks of shock as she opens the enless stream of envelopes to reveal the endless stream of "twists".

Mandy was a little to even keeled for my liking. But FOX in their "ultimate" cheapness probably didnt provide her with an "ultimate" pay day either. She was probably wishing she was back doing "Good Moring Dublin" after taking a peek at her check.

Side-note on the evelopes & twists. In case anyone still doesnt believe FOX was pulling a string or two to fix at least portions of the outcome, I think there was at least one occassion in the last few episodes where lovely Hostess Amanda had two envelopes in her hand. The evelope that she was to eventually open and read was likely dependent on the decision that was made by the contestents just prior to that. IE: if Mellon-y gets voted off read twist in evelope #1 and if Amy gets voted off read twist in envelope #2. I could be wrong about the two envelopes but I think someone else mentioned seeing them on at least one occassion as well.
    Last edited by Daddio; 10-07-2003 at 04:21 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeah
    The finale rating was horrible. For some reason, this show was a big "internet show". It had so much publicity online, but there weren't too many casual viewers. Its finale was equivalent to Cupid, and that didn't get much publicity afterwards either.
    I would say this show had horrible ratings. For starters the ratings increased slowly as the show went on which is a good sign. I would estimate the average show got roughly 7 million+ viewers, which i guess isn't that great when you compare it to let's say something like friends but from a finacial standpoint, it probably only cost about 10 million to produce 3 months worth of shows(2 times a week) while 1 episode of friends probably cost close to 10 million dollars.

Reality shows in general are cheap to produce and will draw in the all important 18-49 viewers. Sure they won't draw 20 million people like friends(survivor excluded) but in order for them to be considered successful they just need a decent sized audience.

That being said about PH not getting much press after, did any of the reality shows this summer really get much publicity after the show. Even what might be considered the ratings hit of the summer Big Brother didn't get much attention. I think it's just the case most of these shows fall under the category of we watch them for however long they are and the second they done we move on to the next thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlaFan
    I would say this show had horrible ratings. For starters the ratings increased slowly as the show went on which is a good sign. I would estimate the average show got roughly 7 million+ viewers, which i guess isn't that great when you compare it to let's say something like friends but from a finacial standpoint, it probably only cost about 10 million to produce 3 months worth of shows(2 times a week) while 1 episode of friends probably cost close to 10 million dollars.

Reality shows in general are cheap to produce and will draw in the all important 18-49 viewers. Sure they won't draw 20 million people like friends(survivor excluded) but in order for them to be considered successful they just need a decent sized audience.

That being said about PH not getting much press after, did any of the reality shows this summer really get much publicity after the show. Even what might be considered the ratings hit of the summer Big Brother didn't get much attention. I think it's just the case most of these shows fall under the category of we watch them for however long they are and the second they done we move on to the next thing.

I can only think of one other, America's Next Top Model got tons of press, late night shows etc.
    "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to keep"

They should have their own reunion

This one especially needs it, because we're all dying to see the Fab Four watch the originals backstab, gossip and basically do the very same things they blamed the Fab Four for doing, only 10 times more visciously.
    And have Jeff Probst host it because he'd "call them all out" like he does so brilliantly (yet still tactfully -- hmmm) on Survivor.
    You'd think the producers would want to milk the ratings like they do with the Real World reunions, the Bachelor (which airs before the show's even over) and the last episodes of Big Brother and Survivor, which are quasi-reunions.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

So I grabbed the issue of In Touch Weekly that came out today, fully expecting something in their Reality TV section about PH.

Nothin'.

Absolutely Nothin'.

Which I found odd, because they almost always mentioned the show in the past issues....

I just don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast