+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paradise Hotel on the Emmys...

On Hiatus

Paradise Hotel on the Emmys...

Was anyone else watching the Emmys last night? I noticed (in my flip-flip-flip channel ritual/nervous habit/mental defect) that Darrell Hammond was saying something about PHo, but I missed part of the quote. I thought it was hillarious, thought...what I heard...went something like this:

"I caught a little of Paradise Hotel this summer. What do you guys do over there when an episode is over, send the tapes straight to the Smithsonian?"

And then there was a funny bit about carving the episodes on metal plates and sending them into space so alien races can learn about our cultures. Does anyone know the actual quote?

I also missed if Hammond was doing an impression of someone or was just being himself.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Missed it completely, Ang. The only time I flipped in and noticed him he was doing an "Ahhhhnold" impersonation.

You were pretty close on the second part of the quote about sending tapes of P-Ho to outer space so aliens can learn about our culture and habits. He wasn't immitating anybody though, just being himself I guess. I loved that The Amazing Race won in this category.

He was supposed to be impersonating Donald Rumsfeld...

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    He was supposed to be impersonating Donald Rumsfeld...

Seriously?? Oh, my. BA HA HA!

On Hiatus
    Goodness. He should have just stuck to being himself. At any rate, the quote was really funny, even though the audience didn't really get into it. I'm guessing they aren't loser-ish enough (no offense to any of us...) to get addicted to this show. Like me. Bah.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

FORT Newbie
    I was watching, --he was impersonating Donald Rumsfeld. It was my take on it that he didn't think too highly of the show. I enjoy it, but, if someone "from other space" were to view it, guess that they would think it was kind of sleezy. For that matter, I guess some "earthlings" already do.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by MajiH
    Seriously?? Oh, my. BA HA HA!
    The big deal about the Emmy's last night was that instead of having one "Host" they had a number of commedians come out and do bits. A couple of them worked (including the Darrell Hammond/Rumsfeld bit) but most of the bits tanked horribly and crashed in uncomfortable flames...and that is being kind.

My favorite moment of the night was when Wanda Sykes was walking through the audience (doing one of the awful bits mentioned above) and she tried to chide Larry David and Bill Cosby. Larry David basically ignored her and told her that if he had known that she was going to approach him, he wouldnt have shown up (this could have been said jokingly as she used to be a semi-regular on "Curb...") Personally, I've never like Sykes and think her whole crumugeony, sarcastic, b*tch persona is one noted - she does all the same bits/charecter on the HBO NFL show, her show and "Curb..." and it grows old very quickly.

But Bill Cosby stole the show when Wanda said something about his past shows being successful or something and he responded dryly "Yes, because we spoke English". I found this to be a GREAT shot at the unfortunate over abundance of hip/hop/playa/gansta/ghetto eubonical dialog that is part of so many shows these days (and just about every show on UPN).

Anyway, I'm sorry, I realize that none of this has anything to do with "Paradise Hotel" and I am off my soapbox now.
    Last edited by Daddio; 09-22-2003 at 12:09 PM.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    What's UPN?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    What's UPN?
    Speaking of mighty UPN Does anybody remember UPN's venture into Reality TV "Under One Roof"?

I think they showed like 4 episodes and then put it on the shelf (because it had like zero ratings - which must have been supremely dismal considering it was UPN and the bar that they set for success) then they reintroduced it later in the year, showed the same 4 episodes again so that we could all "catch-up" and then cancelled it again.

I think that is how it played out anyway.

I recall watching the first few shows and it wasnt such a bad show, sort of "Big Brother" meets "The Real World" with "Survivor" like challenges. With a number of families all having the live in the same house and the usual being voted off after losing challenges, forming alliciances etc.

The "Ultimate Prize" on this show was that the last family remaining in the house would win the house. But I dont know if the show actually ever ended. Does anybody know?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast