+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paradise Hotel on the Emmys...

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    What's UPN?
    Public Access television. Usually shows like Sesame Street, Mister Rogers and local groups who cannot afford the big networking $$ use this station.

By a duck pond in Arizona with about 50 ducks.
    Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    Public Access television. Usually shows like Sesame Street, Mister Rogers and local groups who cannot afford the big networking $$ use this station.
    That's PBS!

Also, in regards to what was said about sending the PH episodes on metal plates out into space - he said it was so we can let alien races know what are "values" are... I think his spiel about PH fell back to his comments about the shows on TV now like Queer Eye and Boy Meets Boy, and how PH is right up there with them when it comes to "morals" and "family values."

I think you might be thinking of PBS. UPN started out broadcasting whatever they could get but now they are a pretty big network. They have a lot of African-American comedies. Most importantly, they were the final network for the late, great Buffy the Vampire Slayer (RIP, we miss you!).

Quote Originally Posted by duckyass
    That's PBS!

Also, in regards to what was said about sending the PH episodes on metal plates out into space - he said it was so we can let alien races know what are "values" are... I think his spiel about PH fell back to his comments about the shows on TV now like Queer Eye and Boy Meets Boy, and how PH is right up there with them when it comes to "morals" and "family values."
    Oops, thanks for correcting me ducky...

I didn't get the comment about the Smithsonian, but it was painfully obvious that he thought this show was pretty much the lowest possible form of entertainment. Oh well, it got a mention and that says a lot whether it was good or bad, it got a plug.

FORT Fogey
    Hi FG,

Maveno seems sharp as a razor to me...and judging by the 'winking smiley face' attached to her quote, I am sure she was being sarcastic and her comment of "What's UPN?" was a rapier reference to how their lack of ratings and dismal programing have combined to make them a virtual non-entity in the world of so called "Network TV Also-rans" like FOX and the WB.

I remember "search for America's next top model" on UPN, that show was great!

I wish I had seen some of the emmy's last night, sounds like it was pretty ok, even a couple p-ho mentions, sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by holiday
    I remember "search for America's next top model" on UPN, that show was great!

I wish I had seen some of the emmy's last night, sounds like it was pretty ok, even a couple p-ho mentions, sweet.
    You know the first half was pretty good, but then they quit with the comedians between awards thing for some reason. I don't remember the black woman's name they had in the audiene, but the only funny thing she did was try to get them all to start doing the electric slide and not a damn person there knew what she was doing.

On Hiatus
    Values! That's what he said. Thanks! I've been wondering all day.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    But Bill Cosby stole the show when Wanda said something about his past shows being successful or something and he responded dryly "Yes, because we spoke English". I found this to be a GREAT shot at the unfortunate over abundance of hip/hop/playa/gansta/ghetto eubonical dialog that is part of so many shows these days (and just about every show on UPN).

Anyway, I'm sorry, I realize that none of this has anything to do with "Paradise Hotel" and I am off my soapbox now.
    I wish I could have seen that!

That's one of the reasons why I can't handle "new" rap. They make up words now or say them wrong just so they can rhyme. It drives me crazy. I just wanted to let you know, I totally agreed with everything you said!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio

But Bill Cosby stole the show when Wanda said something about his past shows being successful or something and he responded dryly "Yes, because we spoke English". I found this to be a GREAT shot at the unfortunate over abundance of hip/hop/playa/gansta/ghetto eubonical dialog that is part of so many shows these days (and just about every show on UPN).
    I also thought that was the funniest part of the entire evening. Sure, I'm a child of the 80's, but I remember when they parodied the Wanda-style talk in an "Oh, those crazy kids" light. Some thought it was a little witchy of Cosby but I was like, Amen, brother.

Jello pudding pops!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast