Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a petition worth making. help anyone?

FORT Fogey
    I am with John, online petitions really don't mean much since for the peopel who do sign it it takes then a whole of 30 seconds of there life to fill it out. The letter says somebody put 5 minutes into writing it and the trouble of taking it to a mailbox.

Quote Originally Posted by m0ckeryj0nes
    in terms of the game or saving a show i would have to agree with you. however in this case i would disagree, the slightest show of interest will prompt a dvd release. the reason is becuase a dvd release is almost pure profit for the production companies and fox. they have already spent the money on producing the show, making up the DVD's doesn't cost much in the way of additional overhead. in this case it's not about questioning the decisions of the production company or the network but showing them that there is a profit to be made. whether the map to profit comes from online or offline resources these companies are going to seek profit....
    I will still take this moment to disagree.

Survivor and TAR get thousands of requests for DVD releases, and they don't do it. If it's guaranteed money in the bank, why wouldn't they?

I haven't seen a DVD of a reality show be released since Survivor 2, with the exception of American Idol, and because that's a music competition, it lends itself well to the DVD format.

Joe Millionaire - 40 million people tuned in for the finale, it had the highest ratings Fox had seen for 8 years. No dvd. If any show from Fox screamed "guaranteed profits", that was it.

okay i'll say this, I don't understand why they aren't putting these shows out on dvd, for real. I buy not many movies cuz watching the same movie over and over, or listening to stupd commentaries does not entertain me. I think if shows such as Joe Millionaire or whatever were put out, they would sell huge, why they aren't doing it is beyond me, the only thing I can think of is that a reality channel is in the works and all these shows have been sold for huge sindication bucks - anything besides that i don't get it.

Sometimes a show is owned by several entities. For example, Fox might co-own the show with Columbia and/or Tristar (this is just an example, i have no idea who holds the rights). Anyway, all three entities would then have to agree on what percentage would go to what company. As you can imagine, this is easier said than done. I heard this explained by a star who was once on a popular tv show that was never brought out on dvd. So, petitions and/or letters really dont matter. Companies would love to make money and will if they are able to do so.

Hug me!
    Quote Originally Posted by John

Joe Millionaire - 40 million people tuned in for the finale, it had the highest ratings Fox had seen for 8 years. No dvd. If any show from Fox screamed "guaranteed profits", that was it.
    I disagreed.. for Joe Millionaire.. only the finale was interesting. I don't really see why people would be interested in buying that.
    "Charla is intelligent and beautiful and I just felt really stupid for picking ... for, you know... liking someone that wasn't available really.. certainly not to me." Quote from Dave (Paradise Hotel).

Thank you stargazer for your reply, it is an interesting theory but I still don't get it. I mean, if money is to be made, no matter how many companies or people have rights to something, than they will do what it takes to make the money. My confusion is this - People will buy these shows if they put them out on DVD, money is there, why not do it? I guess if for whatever reason there is a technical legal battle than fine, forget it, but that isn't the case on most of these shows ... as I said in that other post I think maybe sindication plays a role in this (anybody else possibly think that?) but whatever, that is my .02, if i'm wrong i'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by holiday
    Thank you stargazer for your reply, it is an interesting theory but I still don't get it. I mean, if money is to be made, no matter how many companies or people have rights to something, than they will do what it takes to make the money. My confusion is this - People will buy these shows if they put them out on DVD, money is there, why not do it? I guess if for whatever reason there is a technical legal battle than fine, forget it, but that isn't the case on most of these shows ... as I said in that other post I think maybe sindication plays a role in this (anybody else possibly think that?) but whatever, that is my .02, if i'm wrong i'm wrong
    You are right, syndication might play a role. Aren't they getting ready to air an all-reality cable channel? Maybe they are saving them for that.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick
    I would just want all the stuff they never showed. That would be awesome.
    A Word of Waring to the Wise: often times these post-tour DVD's/Tapes are rip-offs.

A few years ago I bought a tape put out by MTV that promised to be the "Real World Hawaii - UN-Censored". I bought this tape with great anticipation as I felt that the Hawaii cast was one of the best ever and the story lines were excellent.

Well, the tape turned out to be a huge disappointment. I'm not exactly sure what the tape contained that was "un-censored" as any nudity was still blocked out by those smudge cells or whatever they are called, and profanity was still beeped. All the video offered was some additional footage that wound-up on the cutting room floor (most of it for good reason) and of course some marketing for other MTV products. They should have called it "Real-World Hawaii - UnEdited"

And its not that I just wanted to see shots of the girls getting naked (which just about everyone in this cast did a LOT of - well OK I did want to see some of that) but I would have liked to have seen some more un-censored stuff about Ruthie's drinking problems, some of the interaction between Amaya and Collin, Tek and his multi-tude of girlfriends, etc.

Lets hope that if FOX does put out a PH DVD it will be all the dirt that we hope to see and just not a lot of cutting room floor garbage.
    Last edited by Daddio; 09-19-2003 at 12:34 PM.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by John

Survivor and TAR get thousands of requests for DVD releases, and they don't do it. If it's guaranteed money in the bank, why wouldn't they?

I haven't seen a DVD of a reality show be released since Survivor 2, with the exception of American Idol, and because that's a music competition, it lends itself well to the DVD format.

i would like to know how you are an expert on this subject.have you done this and not seen any results?

You don't have to believe me, flowerpetal, that's your perogative.

But tell me this: has a single person involved in the petition to have Paradise Hotel released on DVD called up Fox and asked "if I get you X number of signatures, would it effect your decision to release a DVD for Paradise Hotel?" It's not that difficult to do, and would definitively answer that question.

But yet, I'm 100% positive that no one's done it, and the reason is that we all know what Fox's answer would be.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast