+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: These conterstants are not 'reality'

Holding down the FORT... Joe_Madre's Avatar

These conterstants are not 'reality'

OK I've noticed that lately the contestants for a lot of reality shows are not 'real life'.

Let's break down PH for a second:

Keith - Model for Abercrombie
    Amy - 'Pro' cheerleader
    Dave - The crunch and munch guy from Fenway park, been on ESPN before
    Charla - even though te site lists her as a waitress, rumor has been around she is a model
    Tara - Model
    Toni - 'model' , actress

OK so there are a few that are unaccounted for. I noticed a lot of Models and aspiring actors/actresses on The Amazing Race as well.

To me reality is the fat woman down the hall, or the guy with the drinking problem. Reality is not a bunch of models and aspiring actresses. That isnt reality, it's just cheap acting labor.....

there is a series right now on bravo that talks about this subject (the reality of reality) -there's a topic about it on the other reality shows board. You are right in the fact that no they don't seem to just take whoever for these shows anymore, they have casting calls (for some) and some of the people are just trying to enhance their already started careers in the entertainment business. But the simple solution is just not to watch if the shows don't entertain you.
    Last edited by holiday; 09-15-2003 at 08:43 PM.

FORT Fogey
    I think alot of people who apply for shows liwek this have idea that these show will help them get publicity to further there career.

As long as they are interesting who cares.

On Hiatus
    I actually started a thread about this in the ... um...Other Reality Shows board or something. I've been noticing this as well, and it's driving me mad.

Angie <~~fat woman down the hall
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

Father Time lol
    True, although, I think Survivor has maintained consistency in balancing the "models" with the "common" (for lack of a better term).

I agree with CharlaFan, as long as they are interesting who cares.

I just saw Paradizzle, whooo things are heating up!
    Big Brother 10 - Dan, Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by LaZy
    I agree with CharlaFan, as long as they are interesting who cares.
    Yah, but are they really interesting? OR is it really the cue cards that are really interesting? LOL

FORT Newbie
    Well, for a show like this, the producers are also looking for the telegenic ones. Combined with the publicity hunger of a lot of aspiring actors/models looking for that big break . . .

Kavita is a model, and was on a reality show (called Exiled?) before.
    I heard Keith was a manager at A&F and that's how he got that modeling gig. So maybe the producers elected to list him as a model instead of retail.

I think the listed professions are a bit manipulated to add interest and variety. Supposedly Amy's a procheerleader/dental hygenist, Zack's a trainer/stripper, Beau's a student/DJ, Tara's a student/A-list actress aspirant, etc. With a crowd this young, I'm sure a couple of the younger ones are also students.
    (But that could be my skewed northern NJ perspective--we pack almost everyone off for that piece of paper.)

Holding down the FORT... Joe_Madre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZy
    True, although, I think Survivor has maintained consistency in balancing the "models" with the "common" (for lack of a better term).
    I'll agree with this. Survivor has been very consistent....'Fear Factor' is the worst. But PAradise had this premise that real people could get on. I almost believed it when I saw Dave.....but then you hear about Dave being the Crunch and munch guy and it all goes to 'shirt' =)

<----- the guy with the drinking problem

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Madre
    OK I've noticed that lately the contestants for a lot of reality shows are not 'real life'.

Let's break down PH for a second:

Keith - Model for Abercrombie
    Amy - 'Pro' cheerleader
    Dave - The crunch and munch guy from Fenway park, been on ESPN before
    Charla - even though te site lists her as a waitress, rumor has been around she is a model
    Tara - Model
    Toni - 'model' , actress

OK so there are a few that are unaccounted for. I noticed a lot of Models and aspiring actors/actresses on The Amazing Race as well.

To me reality is the fat woman down the hall, or the guy with the drinking problem. Reality is not a bunch of models and aspiring actresses. That isnt reality, it's just cheap acting labor.....
    Of course they aren't "reality" ......who in real life that you know would go on stupid shows like this? WHO? You? Youre wife? kids? mom? pops? uncle? co-worker?

Besides, FOX wouldn't have it any other way! Would you let your grandma sign up for the show and hook up with some imbecile and sleep with him for a whole 3-4 months?

They are models and they SHOULD be models (well with a few exceptions, notably Acmy and Dave) .....and having them on the show is only fitting, don't you think? If you think for one sec that this "game" show is for "regular" folks like you and I then you're less intelligent than alot of people.

Bottom line is PH is NOT Survivor...... nor is it BB..... it's a show that's sole purpose is to entertain the tv viewer..... it's a show that solely gives jollies off TO the viewer...... they don't give a crap about the contestants or what they do inside the hotel! Just about everything goes! And I have weeks and weeks of evidence to back me up on that.

who else would be able to run off for the entire summer??

My reality job would laugh in my reality face when I told them I needed to take 4 months off!

Maybe it's because "normal" people have "real" careers that they have worked hard for, and aren't about to throw that away for 15 mins of fame.

Models and students have pretty darn flexible schedules..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast