+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It is in Fox's best interest

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeusof paradise
    It is in Fox's best interest to keep it's viewers of this show.
    It is in Fox's best interest to keep CKTD around to make it interesting and to keep the fan favorites.
    It is in Fox's best interest to not allow the Amy & Co. to eliminate one by one CKTD alliance or viewers will get bored and discouraged.
    It is in Fox's best interest to let the good guy or/and girl win IF they want viewers to watch Paradise Hotel 2 next summer.
    It is in Fox's best interest to create twists that will keep us guessing and not be too predictable and have the 7 eliminate the 4 and then turn on each other with "no hard feelings" response with a tone of respect.
    IF Fox has complete control over this, they should KEEP it interesting and keep our heroes in the game as long as they possibly can so WE can have someone to cheer for. What is the use of watching this show if all that remains are people that disgusts us with their behaviors. Not too curious to tune in if all that's left is Amy, Beau, Scott and Holly and Desiree. No thanks.
    You have a formula that works, don't change it.
    I think that Zeus makes and excellent point. I truly believe that in the beginning, FOX saw this show as nothing but a throw away summer replacement show. But that by pure luck in the casting phase, they chose some of the most entertaining charecters ever to disgrace the screen of American television. People that we truly love to hate and that cause us to tune in not once - but twice a week just to see what the heck they will do next.

So by pure luck (or excellent casting) they stumbled upon a diamond in the rough - not unlike a 7th round draft choice becoming an all-pro - and decided to make the most of it. Lets not forget it didnt take them too long to extend the shows original, much shorter run.

That is why the fine folks at FOX have not tried too hard to hide the strings making the marrionnettes dance for our pleasure.

The rules (and that is a very generous used of the word) seem to change to make the show slant in whichever direction that FOX feels best suites their needs.

Examples:

FOX obviously wanted Tom and Smokey on from the get-go so they decided that of all the possible candidates to oppose him they toss out Dave thinking - "Who would possibly chose this guy"? Well they did chose Dave and presto - Hostess Amanda announces one day that Tom will be the new guest - no questions asked.

Same goes for Desiree. Lets face it, there were no minorities on this show - aside from Kavita's cup of coffee at the HO-tel - so, once again the rules get changed and Desiree gets a second chance. And presto she is on the show. And I am not saying that is a bad thing. FOX should have had individuals of various ethnic backgrounds on the show as part of the original cast and later tried to make-up for this mistake with Desiree as a token.

FOX decides that they really need something to "shake things up" and presto - the rules change once again and Keith will be given the unilateral power to vote off one of the other guys on the show and the rest is Amymeltdown history.

FOX decides that after a few somewhat lackluster shows that they need another shake-up (lest Amy and Keith become friends) dont forget, Amy never placed a vote for Keith to be off the show despite her rants and raves. So they bring back the "others".

Again, not even attempting to hide their string pulling, the "others" all come back spitting vinnegar and charging harder and with more enthusiasm of purpose than Notre Dame after a pep talk from Knute Rockne. A clear example of coaching of the shadiest caliber. Toni even noting "I'm here on a mission" yes Toni a mission from FOX who asked you to bug out your eyes and thrust out your surgically enhanced chest and stir up the soup.

But, lets face it, FOX is here to make money and entertain. I have been very entertained and I also try not to be naive that TV shows - reality or otherwise - have any sort of commitment to being fair and honest - and this goes all the way back to the scandle on 21 in the 50s.
    Last edited by Daddio; 09-12-2003 at 02:53 PM.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I read that we view things up to a month after they happened, so I'm not sure how well Fox would be able to adapt the game to take into account public opinion.
    If the shows air a month later, then how did new people (when they were coming on) know a lot about what was going on inside the hotel?

FORT Fogey
    It's sort of common knowledge that the show ended production the last week of August. I personally think the show was originally on a 2 week delay.

When the original people came back, they made 3 shows out of 2 and a half days. I think they also speeded up the filming for the final 11(ie. eliminations every 2 or 3 days instead of 1 elimination a week)
    Last edited by CharlaFan; 09-12-2003 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crack
    If the shows air a month later, then how did new people (when they were coming on) know a lot about what was going on inside the hotel?
    I suspected during those episodes that some of the returning guests were not as clued in as others. Alex and Kristin did not have a lot to say about what the current tenants of the hotel were doing. All Beau said was "the annoying one is back" which was the episode when he was evicted. (ironically, the person calling him annoying, was Alex not one of the Barbies). Even Melanie did not have a lot of "info" about the current residents. And Andon seemed to have been acting in a capacity that the producers may have encouraged because he had little "example" to his claims to Dave about Charla using him. He was just spitting back info he heard from the others.

I think you're right about that timeline Charlafan.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crack
    I had the same question - judging by our names I guess we think alike!

FORT Fogey
    They probably seen footage up to a certain point, if you noticed Kristan and Alex didn't seem to be as much into the DCKT bashing as the others(on the basis that how they were bad people for screwing them over).

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycee
    I think I follow you. We have to remember that this is a TV show with a game show as the plot. I don't want to see CDTK together in the final 4. I think that would be boring. The biggest battle would be who cries more about beating their friend - Charla or Tara? Personally, I would like to see it come down to 2 of the CDTK group and 2 of the originals. I think THAT would be interesting! Angst and tension to the end!
    I agree. It would be BORING to watch DCKT all alone in "paradise". If I had to chose, I'd get rid of Dave and Charla. I'd like to see Keith and Tara at the end with the other originals.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiomobprincess
    I agree. It would be BORING to watch DCKT all alone in "paradise". If I had to chose, I'd get rid of Dave and Charla. I'd like to see Keith and Tara at the end with the other originals.
    sorry but nobody who acts as immaturely as the originals did deserves anything more than a punch in the mouth. Why would you want to reward somebody for acting the way they did? I certainly wouldn't - even if it meant having only the Fab four in the finals

Quote Originally Posted by crackpot
    sorry but nobody who acts as immaturely as the originals did deserves anything more than a punch in the mouth. Why would you want to reward somebody for acting the way they did? I certainly wouldn't - even if it meant having only the Fab four in the finals
    The "Fab Four" in my opinion are dull. Fox is in it for the ratings and the trashy scenes. Watching Dave fawn over a woman way out of his league is BORING. Fox knows this, no ratings = no money.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast