+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should PH guests be allowed to SUE producers?

"Reality" shows have been around long enough that people know what they are getting into. They know that 'twists', editing and characterization are all part and parcel. I think PH has been totally unfair, I wanted KDTC to win but they knew what the were signing up for.

Besides, the "real world" is not fair. Is it fair that those losers are on a beach somewhere slurping on boat drinks and getting laid while the rest of us have to stay home and work for a living? Why should reality tv be fair?

Quote Originally Posted by crackpot
    there is one thing all of you people are seriously overlooking - $$$ - and justice in America is only for those who can afford it - right or wrong - do you really think that any of the guests on PH could afford an attorney or have even an ounce of influence close to what Rupert Murdock (FOX) has?

Sorry, but American law is written so ambiguosly that the better attorney almost always wins - it was designed that way on purpose - to protect the minority (the rich) from the majority (ordinary working people) - this can also be seen in the enormous complexity of the Federal Tax codes as well - it's too confusing for 'normal' people to understand - and allows an elitist class to absolve themselves of anything they want - Kenneth Lay (former Enron CEO) basically stole billions and billions of dollars from American citizens (as well as there own employees) and he will live out the rest of his life as one of America's richest men in the lap of luxury, while the guy who steals a piece of meat from the grocery store because he's hungry goes to jail.
    good points crackpot, but when it comes to media attention, no money is necessary. high profile cases get high profile lawyers whether they deserve them or not, everyone seems to want their fifteen minutes (or unfortunately more in some cases) of fame! so if a lawyer thinks the media will give him air time, i can see something like this going to court...

i didn't come up with this by myself, this is just what i got from watching the show when someone said contestants SHOULD sue if they have seen their show unfairly manipulated...i can't help it if i am an insomniac and got this on a 1am re-run...lol

i personally would love to see someone besides stacey spillman/stellman ?? go off on producers. they are too cocky for their own good. unfortunately decent people tend NOT to sue unless they just have to, so i can see someone like zack or amy finding a reason to sue before the barbie4 would!
    "There's a hooker in Trenton who wants her shoes back." C a r s o n

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by supergirl
    good points crackpot, but when it comes to media attention, no money is necessary. high profile cases get high profile lawyers whether they deserve them or not, everyone seems to want their fifteen minutes (or unfortunately more in some cases) of fame! so if a lawyer thinks the media will give him air time, i can see something like this going to court...

i didn't come up with this by myself, this is just what i got from watching the show when someone said contestants SHOULD sue if they have seen their show unfairly manipulated...i can't help it if i am an insomniac and got this on a 1am re-run...lol

i personally would love to see someone besides stacey spillman/stellman ?? go off on producers. they are too cocky for their own good. unfortunately decent people tend NOT to sue unless they just have to, so i can see someone like zack or amy finding a reason to sue before the barbie4 would!
    I didn't mean to take a potshot at you persay - I apologize if I came across that way - in all honesty I agree with everything you have said, however I just don't see it happening. You are right about "high profile" cases however who chooses whether they become "high profile" or not?

Although I could only wish what you said would come true, if it did, it would be the exception rather than the rule.

Regards,

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by crackpot
    I didn't mean to take a potshot at you persay - I apologize if I came across that way - in all honesty I agree with everything you have said, however I just don't see it happening. You are right about "high profile" cases however who chooses whether they become "high profile" or not?

Although I could only wish what you said would come true, if it did, it would be the exception rather than the rule.

Regards,

Jason
    Jason, I agreed with what you had to say ...no harm taken , i didn't read any potshots into what you had to say...i know how lawyers work all too well...lol

i don't see it happening either...like i said if i see anyone filing a lawsuit i see it being zack or amy or even toni to prolong their already TOO LONG 15 minutes -- remember zack has lawyer in him so we should be afraid, very afraid!

when it comes to the lawyers/high profile/media, we the public unfortunately dictate the high profile cases nine times out of ten...however it is also in who you know, not what you know!

i'd like to see it happen too...this is one of the only times i have seen decent people on a reality show -- well people i might like off the show -- since the first survivor...i still love cranky ol' rudy...lol

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    I'm all for a "loser of lawsuit pays" rule to cut out all these ridiculous lawsuits.

I don't like the way you're looking at me, so I'm going to sue!!
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

You guys are forgetting a very important factor in all of this lawsuit talk. These people signed up for this (and other) shows to gain exposure. They are trying to break out into the "entertainment" field. They actually think this is going to springboard them into instant fame. Do you think they are going to see a producer of a reality show for anything? Who wants to "work" with an actor/actress who is looking to make a buck through lawsuits.

I too watched the "reality" show on Bravo last night and there was a woman on there (agent I think) who had the best line of the night. These folks sign up for these shows hoping to make it in Hollywood and they are claiming the show "ruined" there chances in Hollywood. The only reason these so-called actors/actresses are on these shows is because they would NEVER make it in Hollywood anyway.

They also had a segment about how being in front of the camera is addicting and that's why some contestants appear on more than one reality show (Toni). This is as "big" as Toni is every going to get. Thank God.

FORT Newbie
    If any TV network advertises its show to the viewing TVpublic as "reality", then the viewing audience should expect events to play out as the contestants play out their lives in the confines of the locale (ie. hotel, island, mansion).

However, if any network manipulates the show to control its outcome as they see fit, this is pure and simple "fraud" directed towards the viewing audience, and they become the "victims" .

As such, maybe the viewing audience should create a 'class action lawsuit' against the network. Now, that would be a "twist"!

If producers/directors of these shows have a hankering to create certain dialogue and envision "make-believe situations" with its starlets...then let them make "movies".

Movies, after all, are "make believe".
    Last edited by Kudzu_SC; 09-10-2003 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudzu_SC
    If any TV network advertises its show to the viewing TVpublic as "reality", then the viewing audience should expect events to play out as the contestants play out their lives in the confines of the locale (ie. hotel, island, mansion).

However, if any network manipulates the show to control its outcome as they see fit, this is pure and simple "fraud" directed towards the viewing audience, and they become the "victims" .

As such, maybe the viewing audience should create a 'class action lawsuit' against the network. Now, that would be a "twist"!

If producers/directors of these shows have a hankering to create certain dialogue and envision "make-believe situations" with its starlets...then let them make "movies".

Movies, after all, are "make believe".
    That's what happened with the famous "QUIZ SHOW" that was on in the 1950's. It was discovered that the producers provided the contestant they wanted to win with the answers in advance. They would also 'coach' them on when to wipe their brow, what anedotes to tell, and when to clear their throats. They were brought up on federal fraud charges and some of them ended up in jail. If a show is supposed to be a 'reality' show, then it cannot be scripted. They are only allowed to ask people to say things again, in case they missed the shot the first time. They are also allowed to 'suggest' behavior, but cannot force behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by funnygirl422
    I too watched the "reality" show on Bravo last night and there was a woman on there (agent I think) who had the best line of the night. These folks sign up for these shows hoping to make it in Hollywood and they are claiming the show "ruined" there chances in Hollywood. The only reason these so-called actors/actresses are on these shows is because they would NEVER make it in Hollywood anyway.
    this same lady also SIGNED HALF THE CAST of SURVIVOR ONE, and has made them millionaires! i found that ironic -- maybe she doesn't like jerri or something?! lol i have known people on reality tv and not ALL do it for the tv and money. i would have done survivor one or two in a heartbeat when i thought it truly was a game of survival. now you wouldn't catch me dead on the show because i'd be the last standing or the first kicked off...just not my cuppa tea anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by supergirl
    this same lady also SIGNED HALF THE CAST of SURVIVOR ONE, and has made them millionaires! i found that ironic -- maybe she doesn't like jerri or something?! lol i have known people on reality tv and not ALL do it for the tv and money. i would have done survivor one or two in a heartbeat when i thought it truly was a game of survival. now you wouldn't catch me dead on the show because i'd be the last standing or the first kicked off...just not my cuppa tea anymore!
    I can't remember if she was saying those "out of work" Hollywood actors/actresses were saying it or the actual reality dopes, but it seemed a little ironic to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast